Tyler Nickel - 2022 Wing (North Carolina)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Lukas Harkins, May 20, 2021.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,799
    I don't think Golden gets the extra year like the seniors did last year. Unless they propose it again (allowing seniors to come back) which who knows.

The roster for 22-23 is thin as hell and has no big(s) to count on as things stand. Maybe Wilmoth gets there. We know what JMM is and Hughes I'm sorry I don't buy as of now. Time will tell.

All in all we need a haul for recruiting with the way the roster shapes up and a couple (or more) transfers to fill out this roster next season. However that happens, make it happen. I'd prefer signing 3 for the class and bring in 2 transfers (if not 3).

BoyGeoff likes this.
  2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,138
    Everyone gets an extra year I believe if they want it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014, BoyGeoff and NCJon like this.
  3. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $640
    That was my understanding that if you were on team last year it was a free year no matter your class (Frosh-Senior).

NCJon likes this.
  4. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,964
    This is correct. Golden will have the option to return.

NCJon likes this.
  5. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,407
    At one point we had 8 players on this roster with 4 years of remaining eligibility. Sadly, we now have 6... Even so, Tyler would be a great complementary weapon with that roster.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,138
    VT picked up a crystal ball for Nickel last night, and has cancelled his OV with us that was supposed to be this weekend, rumors he might be committing the weekend to VT Iowa is a close second, that really bites, his buddy Rodney Rice sounds like he's also committing to VT

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  7. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $2,407
    This one stings, if it plays out that way. We have to start winning this type of recruitment, here and there, soon!!

UDDawg likes this.
  8. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,696
    Yep. And sadly I don't see us winning these recruitments anytime soon. I think we simply have to accept that the ceiling for our team is middle of the pack Big East finish and making the Big Dance maybe 50% of the time. There's only so many times we can hit like we did in 2009. Look at the 2000 class and the high hopes we had. Already 2/5's out of the program and a serious ACL injury that will most likely affect Tate from reaching his highest potential. 2021 class is fine, but still not top third of Big East recruiting. After this season, I don't even want to think about the front court. It's sad, but I can see some of our better players transferring out in the next couple of years.

I'm just sort of at a loss in terms of what we are doing recruiting-wise. Given the way things are, perhaps we would be best suited to put the lion's share of our recruiting efforts into the transfer market.

9. Ster8462

Money:
    $640
    Yea bummer on the Nickel’s front. Tough year to build your brand like LaVall is still doing being a young coach at a school.
    I think LaVall recruits well but when contact was very limited because of Covid I think it hurts a younger coach still cementing his program.

I won’t be happy in tourney every other year and think LaVall will still get us more like 3-5 in Big East more years than not. If he doesn’t than in a few years it maybe time to consider spending more to attract a higher profile coach.

Let’s get Chas Kelley, Kebba and then go get transfer big after season that can eat up 20-25 minutes. Until Kebba and Turnbull can hog 60 minutes a night between them starting there sophomore or Junior years at the 4 and 5 slot.

10. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $2,407
    I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that every other team in the Big East is landing a top 50 or top 75 recruit in more of their classes than not. There's no reason for us not to be doing the same. I'm all for out scout and outdevelop to an extent, but it can't be exclusively what you do. You have to mix in the top 50 and 75 player here and there.

I know we are broadening our recruiting net... and it will be interesting to talk about but, it too, is an unknown!

UDDawg and bmradio99 like this.
  11. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $655

This isn't exactly true but I understand the sentiment. For example, only 4 teams have top 75 recruits for the 2021 year and that's fairly typical. But it is noticeable that Butler almost never shows up in the top 100.

There are several factors working against us that doesn't necessarily mean we are getting inferior talent. The biggest factor is the nature of recruiting rankings. These websites are concerned with pleasing and appealing to the biggest fan bases rather than being unbiased observers. There are countless examples but the most glaring was Kamar being ranked around 150 in his class. Unless you were blind, never watched basketball in your life or an ardent Xavier fan, it would be literally impossible to watch Kamar in HS and not have him in the top 75.

I understand why these sites undervalue butler recruits the alumni base is tiny I'm comparison to state schools.

12. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $2,407
    You're right. I probably over stated the regularity with which some teams are doing this but even DePaul had #62 in their 2019 class and a top 100 in each of the 2020 and 2021 classes. I don't even want to look at what Xavier has done in the past few years, also with a young coach.

13. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,734
    I think people are getting a little too focused on rankings. In my opinion, the top 30-40 recruits are usually standouts that will contribute as freshman. Outside of that, 40-250 is pretty much a crap shoot.

Kamar - 155th nationally
    Sadiq Bey - 137th nationally
    Ja Morant - Unranked
    Steph Curry - 256th
    Gordon Hayward - Unranked
    C.J. McCollum - 452nd
    Damian Lillard - 214th

The list goes on and on. Granted, if you look at the top 20-30 prospects in each class, most of them have been drafted to the NBA. With that being said, many 30-60 recruits have been busts. Don't get over into rankings, let's just try to find players that fit our system and have the potential to be stars by their Junior/Senior year. I'm not sure Butler wants one-and-done candidates.

14. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $2,407
    I don't disagree with anything you just said, but there should be no reason Butler can't land the occasional top 50 or top 75 player it covets.

Also, assuming it may take this player a year to be ready to be a difference maker, this would time up with our existing classes being Jrs and Srs and hopefully, ready to compete for the Big East.

I just don't know that you can exclusively "out scout and out develop" everyone else and be consistently successful at the level to which I aspire.

tobystorrs likes this.
  15. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,307
    [​IMG]
    Guy had one of the greatest pump up show intro songs ever.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  16. Ster8462

Money:
    $640
    Appears Va Tech my miss on him to. Crystal Balls bouncing to NC on this one this afternoon

17. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,220
    Academic fraud at NC is a breaking story on Rumble.com ?

18. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,969
    Canceled the rest of his visits and making his announcement tomorrow. This one is to the archives.

19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,969
    Just committed to Carolina.