Tyler Wideman - 2014 Power Forward (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by Mr X, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $94
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  2. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
  3. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $94
    My apologies BUinsider and BD5, I was trying to delete my post and ended up deleting the thread. As for Wideman, if offer is true I'm not a fan of this particular offer. I think he's just too redundant with Chrabascz.

4. bd5

Money:
    $3,289
    Reports on April 26 show that Brad Stevens visited Wideman that day - so this isn't completely out of left field. Still came up fast, will be interesting to see if it is confirmed or not.

5. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $163
    http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports...l-tyler-widemans-summer-not-slowing-down.html

He both anticipated the offer and retweeted someone saying the offer was made. You will find that it's real.

He's a VERY large human being. But I do agree his addition would render Chrabascz kind of redundant. That happens though, that's why there's 500 transfers.

One thing Wideman isn't at risk of getting pushed around by any league's players

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  6. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,409
    So is this offer to pressure Martin? Surprisingly, given our tardiness, it seems unnecessary.... but on the other hand I'm all about us not being frugal with schollies...

7. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $163
    I wouldn't think they have anything to do with one another. Wideman is a space-eating post. Nothing like a perimeter 4 or 3/4. He's closer to a 5/4. I'd imagine he's to address the dire need of a post body with a prayer of holding up against Big East posts

8. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $94
    I agree that I think Butler is having these guys go for different spots but if they end up with Martin, that would make this offer even more redundant for me since I see Martin playing more at the 4 so that would only leave Wideman with playing time at the 5.

9. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $163
    Sure you can. You can take them with 3 or it could signal he's doing the thing all high majors do in situations like this and isn't really thinking 3.

A five man class of Big East skilled and/or sized players would go along ways to curing the ills.

10. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $94
    BUinsider I know that was your point and I agree with it. I still think staff though sees Wideman as just a post player and Martin as more of a perimeter player, so I could see them taking both.

11. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $163
    He worked at Xavier, Ohio State, and Illinois - they all do it. He had more years at those places too.

12. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $94
    Title do you see Wideman as an upgrade from Chrabascz? Granted I have never seen Wideman play, but they are both ranked the same, AAU stats per minute are relatively close, and the offer list are from the same caliber of schools. I think it's a wash between the two, so I'm just not seeing what Wideman can add to the team.

13. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $94
    Scout profile has Purdue offer listed and BD5 told me Xavier offered while I was editing profile though not sure where he found that.

14. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $163
    Upgrade? Well, I don't know if that's the right way to think about it. First of all, he's 240 the same way Matt Howard was 6'8". If he's a pound less than 280, I'd be shocked. He is a large, big-boned kid. Honestly, I'm not sure how the football coaches let him get away, he looks like a NFL right tackle with some training.

Lets just say it though, you shouldn't really expect much offense out of him and when I last saw him his fitness wasn't very good ; but, he represents at least a chance of BU holding up during a 18-game Big East schedule.

There's no reason to think he won't get even bigger and stronge with age and a college training program. He's not going to need to become Olajuwon, all he's going to need is a go-to post move and counter because he's big enough to root out space right on the block against anyone

So as far as upgrade, I think he has a role in the Big East. I don't really think the same of AC

15. codawg

codawg Member

Money:
    $58
    Rumor two years back is that Purdue offered him before his sophomore season at Lake Central and has since backed out of that offer. I have seen him play a few times at Lake Central and he can be dominant and has a tendency to be lazy. He is dominant on the block when he wants to be. And I can't believe that I am saying this "I agree with Title" that 240 is a pipe dream!! He is bigger than that and very strong. He has significantly thinned down over the past 18 months as well. He would be a physical beast if they can work on his motor/scoring.

16. bd5

Money:
    $3,289
    Both the Purdue and Xavier offers were "confirmed" on twitter by each of the schools corresponding recruiting sites. Apparently that doesn't make it is accurate if someone has talked to Wideman and he denied those offers.

17. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,681
    This is an interesting offer. Wideman is a humongous kid that is incredibly strong. As Title said, I have always wonders how this kid isn't a top100 college football prospect. His post moves are limited but when you are as strong as he is it doesn't really matter.

No, this isn't at all redundant with the Martin offer. Not the same player and not the same position. Even if you view them both as very different 4's, how often has Butler had a true 5 anyway? Their typical line-up is a 1, 2, 2/3, 3/4, 4 anyway.

18. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    Very true. He's probably 6'6 at best. Mr X said it best. He's redundant to Chrabascz. I'd rather get some length.

19. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $163
    http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1307749.html

That's a little closer...

20. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,409
    cosign 100%. Unlike us who apparently pull scholly offers all the time, it seems Purdue doesn't so much as pull scholly's w kids they offered early that either don't develop or better options are found, rather they just gradually cut down the communication and the watching of your games to the point where they just stop recruiting you. As said above, they offered him early but he stopped growing vertically and there were questions about his motor. However, lately the motor appears to be on and he's been a rebounding beast.