Tyler Wideman - 2014 Power Forward (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by Mr X, Jul 17, 2013.

1. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $161
    Also it should be pointed out once again...I went to a small D-1 private school that was terrible at basketball but had some impressive athletes. I was the sports editor of the newspaper and went to practice and open gyms almost everyday. There were tons of guys who were lost in games that looked like All-Americans in those settings. My sophomore year I thought we were going to win the conference after watching the team all summer. Boy was I wrong.

I like Ari a lot, but I'm not sure he understands that. When the lights are bright and you're playing an actual defense things change real quick.

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,206
    Both of the last two posts are very well said. I wish I could speak like that. Instead I throw out jibberish and peck speak. Well spoken, gents.

3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $2,493
    Fair enough.

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,690

Same can be said for AAU ball.

5. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    I don't think Ari is off base at all......Since Wideman changed his body fat composition he has become a totally different level of player. He was extremely good vs Swanigan in the Semi-State and vs Lyles at State. He was a beast in the Ind-Ky series.

At times I wonder what he would be ranked in the 2014 Final rankings of Scout/247/Rivals etc if those recruiting analysts had taken those into consideration or seen him. I saw him at Greenfield in June 2013. Before he had lost the weight. I'll be honest I wasn't that impressed, but when I saw him at Lafayette vs Swanigan in March 2014, I immediately came back here and thought BMill had got himself a steal. I still think that. IMO Wideman is more of a 4 star, if there was a do-over in those rankings.

Time will tell though....I am very happy Wideman is on OUR side though. He is going to cause problems for people in the Big East. Butler IMO got pushed around last year. That's not happening this year. We have ourselves an enforcer.

6. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,340
    Everyone agrees this is a better team than last year. IMO, how much better will be determined by returning Jones' influence and contributions in making his teammates better and more efficient, which I am confident that he will, and how much we get from Wideman and Martin as Freshmen, both on offense and defense. Agree that Davis is going to take some time. He will not redshirt, but I hope Miller gives him as much minutes as possible so that he can develop. Still, with a roster of ten players, these Frosh are going to get some significant minutes, if through default by no other reason. Wideman could indeed be the inside presence that we lacked, and Martin could be that mid to long range scoring option, to go along with Dunham, that really none of us are counting on, at least from most posts that I read. Martin was a big time scorer in high school. IMO, he's going to be a much, much bigger contributor than Brown as a Frosh. It's going to be an interesting year. I think a lot more entertaining that last year.

7. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels · Oct 12
    Was told by a NBA scout at Kentucky's combine this past weekend that Karl Towns and Trey Lyles were their best NBA prospects.

------------

......and Wideman kicked Lyles' ass in the second half of the State Championship game.

8. Irishdawg

Money:
    $2,493
    I once led the defending NCAA D1 Cross Country champion in a race.

Vanzant once did this to the MVP of the FIBA World Championships and #1 pick in the draft that year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rMVUs5ThMw&list=UUnBbTGCCxH1Kr_kGLda5hIw :)18-22)

Wideman could be a great weapon for Butler on the defensive end and maybe eventually on the offensive end of the floor, but Lyles is a much, much better NBA prospect, and that's okay. I'm still happy we've got the Big Cat.

9. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    Me too....it's just an assessment of what actually happened in the second half of that State championship game.

10. Irishdawg

Money:
    $2,493
  11. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    Tyler Hicks @THicksBH · 3h 3 hours ago
    Gotta give credit where credit is due: Great job by Brandon Miller to get Wideman to Butler. Can't wait to see him improve more.

12. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    BU Collegian Sports @BUSportsWriters · 23h 23 hours ago
    Holtmann: "I need to be fired from Tyler Wideman's free throw coach and turn that over to someone else." Wideman was 2-for-5 tonight.

--------

lol....Wideman's free throws actually seem to have really good rotation on them. It's like that solid 6 foot putt you hit that just lips out. He will start making more....

13. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,781
    pic.twitter.com/JfKdE8oXNT

Wideman looks much leaner than he did even two or three months ago. Very, very good sign. His endurance was the one thing that really held him back this year.

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,657
    Thought the same thing when I saw that ^

15. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,277
  16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
  17. Irishdawg

Money:
    $2,493
    Tough to say all of that in 140 characters, but there's a reason why he's said all of this. When I look at the list he put together, really other than Macura and Wideman, these were some of the better young players in the league last year and guys who Rothstein thinks will see some big minutes this year. Physically, Wideman looks lean and mean so while we won't really know how his skills have progressed until we see him in games, he's definitely putting in work this summer to make sure he's in shape for the season.

So here are reasons I think Rothstein could be right:
    1. Wideman (IMO) will likely be a starter this year alongside Chrabascz
    2. Because of #1, his minutes are very likely to expand
    3. He is an incredibly productive rebounder on a team that really needs to replace Woods' rebounding
    4. If Tyler Lewis is as good as advertised, there will be more opportunities for him to score easy buckets at the rim

Here are reasons why he could be wrong:
    1. Unless he's getting set up at the rim, even with improvements, Wideman's offensive skillset will still likely be very limited
    2. Wideman had a major propensity to get into foul trouble, which could limit his minutes and production
    3. Similar to #1, but this is a team that has plenty of offensive weapons that I would go to before I'd look for Wideman (Dunham, Jones, Chrabascz, Martin, Lewis, Gathers)
    4. He'll still be an undersized big guy in a league that's going to have quite a few very good big men in it

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    I assume Rothstein has seen him working out but maybe he is just going on hunch. Has anyone seen any of the players working out this summer?

19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    Tyler Wideman is suppose to be interviewed on 1430 this afternoon I believe around 5:15.

20. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    Jared Grubbs ‏@ButlerWay 20h20 hours ago
    Coach Holtmann with positive things to say about Wideman. "For us to be good..he has to be very good for us."