UConn to Join Big East

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by UDDawg, Jun 22, 2019.

1. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,773
    No idea how well-sourced this is.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  2. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    Looks like Goodman thinks it might be legit.

3. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,160
    Wonder what that would mean for their football program?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $5,454
    I would guess if they keep it D1, it would be Independent.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,035
  6. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $5,454
  7. Pick n Roll Dawgs

Pick n Roll Dawgs Active Member

Money:
    $384
  8. Pick n Roll Dawgs

Pick n Roll Dawgs Active Member

Money:
    $384
    bmradio99 likes this.
  9. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,118
    Fantastic news - more East Coast media market coverage. I presume we will still go with a full round robin schedule with two less pre-conference games - UCONN at Hinkle will be a tremendous treat. Beers for everybody!

butlerguy03 likes this.
  10. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $748
    Meh. Not sure how to feel about this.

11. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,270
    I think it's a colossal mistake.

12. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    I don’t see any reason for this being a bad thing. What’s your fear?

13. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,773
    Yeah, I tend to think this is more bad than good. I know UConn has been down lately but how much of that can be attributed to their conference? Their recruiting should pick up once they're back in the Big East. Bad for us. Just one more hurdle for us to get over in order to try and get back into the top tier of teams. Plus it would likely cause more recruiting competition in the northeast/east coast.

Not to mention women's basketball. Ouch.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    BU Fan in Illinois and jkcdawgs like this.
  14. NCJon

Money:
    $6,270
    They are a very different school from the rest of the league. Enrollment is about 40 percent larger than the next closest Big East school (DePaul) and about three times the league average. They've got a lot more resources. Their athletic budget is roughly twice that of Villanova and Georgetown and four times Butler. Yeah they have football and they've been running a huge deficit, which might explain the move, but it spells trouble to me.

Their academic standing has improved significantly in recent years, but it's still a lot easier to get a borderline athlete in at a place as big as UConn than it is at a place as small as Butler.

This will destroy any competitive interest in women's hoops across the league.

It's not adding a new market, either. The Big East is already strong in New York and New England.

I just don't see the benefit of a "marquee" team and 19th and 20th league games outweighing the potential risks here. I'd be glad to be wrong.

mwall787 likes this.
  15. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    They would continue o dominate WBB, which would make sellouts at the other conference arenas a certainty. As far as the other sports it would give MBB a 20 game round
    robin schedule much like the ACC and the Big Ten which is good. I am all i favor of the move, more exposure is a positive. Example more TV revenue for the Big East.

16. NCJon

Money:
    $6,270
    You really think Hinkle will sell out so people can watch the Huskies whip the Bulldogs 110-45?

That certainly has not happened during UConn's time in the American.

I just looked up attendance for their last visit to East Carolina (2017-18 season). A whopping 1,800 people showed up to see the Lady Pirates get drubbed by 50.

17. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $724
    Who actually makes the decision for the school? Is it the BOT, the President, some committee. . .

18. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,118
    Well, I can see the arguments against, but in the end more competition will be a good thing, whether it becomes easier or harder to get a Dance invitation is, of course debatable (all day long on this forum). We play lots of big State institutions and it seems we do just fine. I maybe can see a twinkle developing in the eyes of our Women's Basketball team...

19. NCJon

Money:
    $6,270
    Every school is a little different, but usually that's a BOT decision with support from the president/chancellor. Sometimes it's the president/chancellor with support from BOT, which is basically what happened when Wallace Loh moved Maryland out of the ACC.

20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,464
    My only heartburn is having to relive lowlights of the 2011 game whenever we play each other. Other than that, I'd love the chance to beat them twice a year.