UConn to Join Big East

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by UDDawg, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    I'm most interested in what UConn would have to pay if it leaves the Big East in a few years. It's unforeseeable right now, but conference re-alignment is incredibly fluid, and UConn - at least for now - still seems intent on having power football. If they somehow start dominating, say, the MAC, and the other sports are doing well in the Big East, does the ACC or Big Ten finally come? Again, seems really unlikely right now, but it's not like it couldn't happen. If so, I'd want them to get crushed on the exit fee, obviously.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    They were a 4 seed that year and finished 16th in Kenpom. They entered that game at 22-5. That was an excellent match-up.

The Missouri Valley was incredible that year. 8/10 teams in the top 86, and an overall rating almost identical to the Big 12. It was the highest rated mid-major league in Kenpom's records (2002-present).

3. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,652
    If memory serves me, we beat them - right?

4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
    Southern Illinois? Pretty sure we lost. It was a very close game, IIRC.

5. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,225
    SIU won 68-64, per sports-reference.com

6. MSUDawg

Money:
    $2,652
    Yeah, I was thinking of the 2007-8 season where we won by two.

NateDog likes this.
  7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    Yeah, we lost. It really hurt, too, in the sense that a top 20 win in February would've meant a ton for seeding purposes. (SIU was a 4 seed that year.) With the loss, Butler ended up as a 5 seed in Florida's region, one of the best teams of that decade.

8. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    Butler got screwed by officials in the Sweet 16 game at St Louis against Florida.

s

9. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    I was at that game in St. Louis. I was obviously bummed we lost but my despair reached new heights when I ate St. Louis style pizza for the first time that evening. That stuff is a disgrace.

Also, Corey Brewer, Joakim Noah, and Al Horford are still playing in the NBA.

10. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,273
    I too was at that game...Thought we had it, stupid Miller and stupid Mike Green plays in the last 2 minutes....ugh still have nightmares

Edit, ah forgot it was Humphrey, man the memory is getting all twisted can't keep the years separate

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  11. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,340
    Miller?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. MSUDawg

Money:
    $2,652
    Yes, Reggie went in for the final two minutes and blew two wide open treys...

13. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,261
    We lost, but that was a fantastic game. SIU traveled very well. Hinkle (the building) was rocking. As mentioned by Hinkle (the poster), the loss really hurt us with seeding.

14. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    Butler got them back the next year in Carbondale on a last second three by A J Graves, SIU was never heard from again. Same thing happened the next year with Drake
    and then they fell off the grid.

BUcheer likes this.
  15. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,840
    That 3 by AJ in Carbondale was from 30+ feet I think. Quite a shot! Keno Davis parlayed his one great year at Drake into the Providence job where he didn’t have much success in 3 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,337
    Adding another Tourney-worthy team means more $$ for the whole conference. As long as we go to a 20 game conference schedule I'm a fan.

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    Pretty much a guarantee, I think.

18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Just adding UConn women’s team alone should add $200,000 plus to Butler’s coffers

MSUDawg and Tentozen like this.
  19. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,899
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qimQE6vPDRA&t=1s

20. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
    What's the basis for this claim?

dawgs2014 and UDDawg like this.