Unranked and right where we should be.

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by FriarDawg, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,269
    Dawgs will not fall out of the Top 25 this week.

godogs91 likes this.
  2. Dawgdad

Dawgdad Well-Known Member

Money:
    $424

I’ll piggyback a bit on this post. Almost every team has a span of games without important players. The most important thing is to continue to get better even when missing key players. That way, if and when you are back to full strength, the team may actual be even better. I’m hoping this will be the case for the Dawgs but I haven’t seen as much of that as I would have liked to have seen. If the following (to name a few) would have happened, I would feel a lot better:
    1) more valuable minutes from Battle
    2) Kamar distributing the ball more when at the point
    3) finding ways (other that Georgetown’ poor defense) to get McDermott and Tucker better looks
    4) finding ways to get penetration in addition to Kamar.

On a positive note, we did confirm that Badley can step things up defensively when needed. This helps in certain situations. When AT gets back, that enables us to do more things defensively. Also, I do think we have a realistic view now of where and how Smits can be utilized.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  3. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $763
    I gotta think AT plays some against Nova, even if it's only 10 minutes to give KB a break. Let's be honest, he wasn't shooting much anyway. We need his defense and distribution. I'm not trying to underestimate the injury, but I would take a one handed AT for 5 minutes if that's what it comes down to.

4. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,540
    Lack of bench is really killing the Dawgs. No Thompson, no David, limited action from Smits and what happens a big tumble and that we are watching now. How many wins
    do you think are left in the season?

5. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $611
    FWIW we are at 15 in Kenpom just one spot behind SH and ahead of Nova who are at 23.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,509
    We still have Gtown, DePaul and SJU at home, so, that should be 3 which puts us at 8 wins in conference. That gets us in most likely.

Xavier at home is a toss up to me. But it *should* be a win. So there is your 9, and that's all I really want.

We will lose to Nova at home, Hall on the road, Marquette on the road and Xavier on the road is another toss up. 9-9 is out there. 8-10 is as well. 10-8 if everything breaks our way. So if I was putting money on it, I'd say 4-5 the rest of the way is the best bet.

7. ButlerNut

Money:
    $6,269
  8. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,699
    # 19 in both polls. Two AP voters thought that 17-7 BYU and their combined 5-7 Quad 1/2 record had a better resume than Butler (11-5 Quad 1/2) . I think I would be happy with 1-1 this week, tbh. Depending on what happens with the rest of the Top 25, that may well push Butler out for next week.

Full AP Poll on College Poll Tracker:
    https://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/

9. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $762
    I’m just trying to figure out whether this is Noltar the Inferno or Noltar the Destroyer

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

noltar likes this.
  10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,008
    NET update:

12 - BU
    13 - Nova
    14 - Creighton
    16 - Seton Hall
    25 - Marquette
    47 - X
    48 - GT
    59 - DePaul
    65 - Providence
    76 - St. John's

St. John's losing Sunday pushes our road win into Q2. On the surface, Providence winning at Hinkle may not hurt as much as anticipated. We basically traded Q1 wins (PC at BU and BU at PC) as long as they stay inside the Top 75. We're 11-5 in Q1/2.

11. dawg767

dawg767 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $531
    Going 1-1 this week in two Quad 1 games definitely keeps us in Top 25. We have a better chance of moving up in that scenario than falling out of Top 25 imho.

12. MadDawg2020

MadDawg2020 Member VIP Member

How soon will we find out if Thompson is playing on Wednesday?

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,986
    Hoping he plays but that it isn’t announced until an hour before tip. (And my guess is that’s how it’ll go down.)

MadDawg2020 likes this.
  14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,720
    50% of our conference is ranked this week - with 40% of the conference in the Top 20. That's insane.

15. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,540
    Let's put it this way #5 was a stretch, although Butler had a great non conference record. Since then a couple of games could have gone either way, Seton Hall and Providence.
    Marquette was the worst game of the year. Take care of business in the final four home games and everyone will be happy.

OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  16. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,053
    Well now I’m guessing out of the top 25
    Sad considering were we were at the beginning of the year but the same could be said for Michigan and Ohio state
    They however I feel are trending up right now some
    I wonder how many times teams have who got ranked in top five have fallen out of the top 25
    Wait four teams if you count Florida

Maybe it happens more than I think and I am just more focused on it since butler has accomplished this

17. ButlerNut

Money:
    $6,269
  18. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,699
    Exactly. If that had happened back in the day it was a guaranteed 8-10 spot drop.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,637
  20. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,077
    Sure, go ahead and cloud the issue with facts.

Tentozen likes this.