V.J. Beachem - 2013 Forward (Notre Dame)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,109
    RE: V.J. Beachem - 2013 Forward (Offered)

Beachem will be taking another visit to Notre Dame on August 27th to talk with an academic advisor. He has no other visits scheduled right now to other schools. It appears he has narrowed his list to Butler, Notre Dame, and Purdue (although I don't believe he has officially confirmed this).

2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109
  3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109
  4. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $436

Ranked 78 in latest Scout rankings.
    http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2013

5. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222

ESPN is now showing Beachem as "considering" on their 2013 recruiting profile for Butler.

6. Bushark96

Bushark96 New Member

Money:
    $5

What did it say before?

7. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222

It didn't even have him listed. Seems like ESPN is typically hit or miss as far as reflecting current status.

8. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $623

You can't really use those as a comprehensive list. They just dont work that way. If they get 20%-50%, thats probably alright.

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109

Beachem is now #72 in the Rivals150.

10. hortonamos

hortonamos New Member

Money:
    $27

Has anybody read or heard anything on Beachem recently? After Berry, Beachem is the player I most want to see a commitment from, and he seems to have fallen off our (meaning the message board's) radar a bit.

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109

I was just searching yesterday and there really hasn't been much public news about him. It sounds like he might be taking another Notre Dame visit soon so signs still point to them being the leaders but it's far from a definite. If he was as much a lock to Notre Dame as some suggested a while ago he would have committed already.

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109

That's a quote from Kyle Neddenriep during his chat today. I'm kind of curious to know what he means when he says that Butler is probably out of it because of Berry. If he means that it is Butler that is no longer as interested I think that would be a mistake by Stevens. Beachem is too good to quit on now (assuming they still have a solid chance) even if there is a little bit of overlap with him and Berry, especially since the 2012 class is all guards.

13. Coogles

Coogles Active Member

Money:
    $108

Not that I thought Beachem was coming here anyway, but Berry's commitment shouldn't do anything but show Beachem that Butler will have a better option at the 4 than sliding him to that position. The two play different positions. Berry is a stretch 4, Beachem is a 6-7 combo guard. You could very reasonably put Berry and Beachem out there at the two wing-forward spots with a post in the middle.

I'm guessing Kyle is just going on a hunch.

14. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,159

I mentioned in another thread, regarding Beachem, the Big East certainly has taken some hits lately. Syracuse and Pitt gone, and Connecticut and probably Rutgers currently lobbying the ACC really hard to become the 15th and 16th members. It's just a matter of time before it happens. Whatever is left will be a nice league, sort of like A - 10 parity or just slightly better, but nothing like the old Big East. ND will do whatever they have to to keep their football independent, including playing in an inferior league for all other sports. Basketball is way, way behind football in importance (and $$$ income) at ND, which is okay. If I had Beachem's skills and potential, I think I'd pick a school where basketball was king. And Mike Brey? Come on. Ever heard anyone praise the coaching abilities of Mike Brey.....except maybe the former South Bend newscaster he was boinking on the side. What's BU's winning streak up to now against ND, six in a row? That streak even dates back to some of the "leaner" years. This goes back to that excellent article on the criteria kids use to make decisions these days. An immediate past (and sustained) record of success doesn't appear to be high on a lot kid's list. Otherwise we'd be fending off a lot of top talent! (Did anyone else read the story about the kid who loved Baylor and Scott Drew but crossed them off his list because he didn't like their colors....green and yellow? Duh.) Also, if you recall, Beachem commented that he wanted offers from Purdue and Indiana, "the two big dogs in Indiana." Guess he won't be a history major wherever he lands. If we can pull off Nichols to go along with Berry, I don't care who they get for that third spot. Certainly, I'd like to have Beachem, but I don't believe we're that high on his list. He's got starry eyes for the "bigs." I've already moved on.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109

It's tough to understand why some kids choose one school over another but the reality is that there are a lot of factors outside of basketball, and that is how it should be. I agree with you that I would prefer a basketball first school, but I'm also not a big college football fan. If he loves college football then ND football could be a plus. And remember that a lot of these things are just speculation and often times quotes are taken out of context (as I think the IU/PU one was).

16. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $436

Overall, I Could not have said it any better myself. Only point I might disagree on is Beachum being a combo guard since from the clips I've seen I haven't really see him having the handles to play guard in Butler's system. Still nice to dream though of having Kellen, Beachum, and Berry all just wreaking havoc from the perimeter.

17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109

Beachem Nears Decision

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he commits to the Irish after his visit later this month. I don't think it is a lock and I'm still hoping he chooses Butler but signs definitely point to Notre Dame.

18. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $623

I actually agree with Kyle. I don't see how you can take another big wing. He just happens to play the position Butler is deepest at. I don't know for sure, but I think I'd be surprised if Butler was still on him, in earnest.

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $20,109

I just feel like the only way you can pass him up is if you are confident you can get a top 100 guard for 2013. If Stevens can land someone like Jackson or Brown then I'd prefer to go that route but I don't feel like its a sure thing we get a guy like that. I understand that there is some overlap between Beachem, Berry, and then Dunham but I think you can still play them together at the 2,3,4 and then finish the class off 2013 with a 5. Butler will have enough PGs to fill in at the 1 spot and then you can create several minutes at the 2 spot by giving Dunham/Beachem/Berry minutes at the 3/4/5 as well.

20. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352

This has cooled considerably since last Spring/Summer....probably a move to the Archives is warranted.

Go Butler.