Villanova (15-3, 10-2) at Butler (8-13, 7-11), Sunday, 2/28, 12:00 PM EST (CBS)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 25, 2021.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,517
    Next up: #8 Villanova at Hinkle for a SUNDAY game on the big CBS.

David Woods seems excited:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,988
    Sunday, right?

3. ButlerNut

Money:
    $8,517
    Yes...correct.

My fault. I was on a call for work when making the thread. When I put 2/28, I said to myself, "hey, that's not Saturday"...

Thanks

UDDawg likes this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,091
    Yes Sunday. Which means brunch brunch brunch.

Is there a Senior Day this year? With all the crazy of this season surrounding the program I haven't even thought about this. Or because it's a "non counting" eligibility year has that been scrapped?

Nova for the last home game is rough.

5. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,834
    I was actually thinking about this - could it be a sign if certain players are coming back? Like if they celebrate one and not the other?

6. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,119
    A couple of silver linings in an otherwise tough season: 1. Butler’s 6-3 home BE record ties them for their best ever home conference record since joining the BE so an upset win Sunday would set apart this year’s squad. 2. Butler has avenged all 3 of last year’s BE home losses: Providence, Georgetown, & Seton Hall.

Shimmy, bmradio99, BNiche and 9 others like this.
  7. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,083
    Villanova is not Xavier or Seton Hall, so I don't think we're going to be able to rely on them missing jumpers to get a win. Frankly, if the defense plays well these next couple of games, that will be really encouraging as they head into next season. I can't imagine a realistic scenario in which Butler pulls this out, but who knows.

bmradio99 likes this.
  8. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,091
    Yep. And Xavier/Seton Hall don't have nearly the talent that Nova does and Nova will not miss knock down wide open threes which the other two teams did. We give tons of open looks and Nova will knock them down. It's like how physically, Uconn is a very poor matchup...Nova is the same from a shooting perspective. And we don't have the guns to keep up. Even with our shortcomings/injuries, with effort we can usually stay on the court this year with most BE teams. Nova just isn't one of them.

9. novachap

novachap Well-Known Member

Money:
    $332
    Hi all, gotta say it is just crazy with everything you guys have had to deal with, injuries and the like. Tough, tough year. The young guys look really promising though and curious to see how they develop. A LOT of young talent in the league this year.

Willis.. I disagree, I think match up wise, particularly at home, you guys seem to ALWAYS play nova tough. Yes, it does seem you are giving up more 3 looks than normal, but intensity wise I just think you play our system well. If I was betting, I think Nova pulls away later and wins by high single / low double digits... don't see a blow out, but this year, who the heck knows! Wouldn't be surprised even if you pulled the upset if we are not shooting well. Possibly looking ahead to Creighton next week for the regular season championship too...

The last few games -- Uconn and St. john's it looks like the team is finally playing better defense. It has been tough with no practice to work on things for everyone, but Nova has seen the impact on D and with the bench development. Fanbase is hoping to have turned the corner. Last game Antoine saw 11 minutes. First time fully healthy in 2 years. If he gets in, note the switch to zone to cover for his still learning the D. The pleasant surprises this year are Samuels being more assertive, Caleb Daniels leading the 3% and Slater off the bench as a slasher and defensive stopper. JRE and Gillespie are pretty much as advertised.

Now the bad news... Lappas is doing the color... I can assure you, we don't like him either!

Shimmy, bmradio99, BNiche and 10 others like this.
  10. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,091
    novachap-I agree we've played well at home vs Nova over the years mostly. We just don't have the guns to keep up if Nova gets even lukewarm, let alone hot. In the past we've had Martin or Baldwin to kind of even the playing field-we don't have that this year. We have no dominant scoring options on this team. Maybe one of the pups becomes that, but for now we just don't have the firepower like we did in the past.

I'd lean towards Nova if the line is around 12-13 or less.

HoosierDawg likes this.
  11. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,324
  12. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,083
    I guess I appreciate him giving information, but was anyone actually questioning this?

13. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,324
    Not really. But I guess this season, you never know.

ButlerNut likes this.
  14. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,484
    No, but it does sort of answer the post above about whether there will be a senior night or not. My guess is that they will honor AT, Nze and Bolden.

ButlerNut and bwesson15 like this.
  15. ButlerNut

Money:
    $8,517
    I mean, if Nze goes through Senior Day, is he not allowed back? I think this board will overreact based on who participates and who doesn’t. Some of these guys may not have made up their mind yet.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,904
    You can go thru senior day and still come back. Happens quite a bit, actually.

ButlerNut and ButlerAlumDad716 like this.
  17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,083
    Yeah Woods even said in his reply below the tweet that no one should read anything into whether players participate or not.

Heck after last season's MVC tournament, Javon Freeman-Liberty said in a press conference that he couldn't wait to run things back with Valparaiso this season. Some time later, he was transferring to DePaul.

ButlerNut likes this.
  18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,202
    What would ever give you the idea that this board might overreact?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg, bwesson15, ButlerNut and 3 others like this.
  19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,602
    I do think participation in Senior Day gives us a little bit of insight into what those players are thinking right now, but it's not like it creates a binding agreement that they can't return.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  20. ButlerNut

Money:
    $8,517
    Um...that's kinda my point... Sorry I didn't use the /s font