Wabissa Bede - 2017 Point Guard (Virginia Tech)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,557
    Butler isn't for everyone nor is VT. It's a big decision for a 17 year old choosing a school particularly when he has a number of choices. He could only choose one and he picked what he perceives is best for him. We all should wish him success. Why not? We will be just fine.

2. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $698
    Thanks.

Go Dawgs!

3. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $113
    He's in the archive--life moves on.

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,473
    May be time to dust this bad boy off. Sweep out the bunnies, roll out the carpet, let's pounce dammit.

Tentozen and cornette33 like this.
  5. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $656
    The more I think about it the more I think Bede makes no sense for us. He would be eligible in 2020. Thompson would be senior. Odds are no freshman point would want to join that log jam and I think we have a damn good chance of landing a decent one in 2020. LaVall has been all over several. Not to mention, Bede seems awful redundant to Thompson, a defense first point guard who can’t shoot. Something many around here have said we can’t win with for the last two years. There’s no way those two could be on the floor together during the year they’d play together, which seems like a waste. I’m not gonna pretend I’ve watched much of Bede but Thompson’s stat line is much better than his. I say pass, though I loved him coming out of high school. I think we already have a better version of Bede on the roster. If we recruit any grad transfer/upperclassman point guard to run with Thompson, I want one who can shoot and could be on the floor at the same time as him.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353

Doesn't appear he'll be following Buzz. Took two of his 2019 recruits with him including 2 point guards.

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,557
    We need players that will move the dial big time

8. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,473
    God...Buzz is going to make life tough in the sec. But yes...pounce on Bede, now.

9. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $656
    What do you see in Bede? He’s the same player as Thompson

bumba likes this.
  10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    I like him because he's sit one, play two & a bonafied high major combo guard who can run up-tempo once eligible. We need better athletes who can transition to LJ's faster pace of offense. He's also from the ACC and is experienced playing against Duke, Virginia, etc.

willisbrown likes this.
  11. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $656
    He’s not a combo guard! He can’t shoot. He’s a point guard. I like him as a player but he’s redundant to Thompson and I think we’ll get a good point in 2020. If Bede comes that won’t happen.

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,557
    Is replacing AT with like skills moving the dial?

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,473
    Bede could very well (if we were to go after him) better than any pg we could or will get. What on earth gives you any faith LJ is going to nail someone better than Wabissa Bede in 2020? LJ has shown nada in terms of effort of getting a player in for this upcoming season, has nothing momentum wise other than maybe Brown for 2020, and probably will be shown the door by this time next season after he goes 11-20 or something along that record this season. We can't look ahead to 2020 too far because things are falling apart right now. And if there isn't some kind of miracle soon, we'll be lucky to get a lower tier 3 star at pg for 2020, if one at all. If Bede is out there to be had and he actually has interest in this crap show...freaking take him. It's a blessing that a kid, any kid with talent even gives butler a sniff right now with this staff.

You don't run from a Bede type if he has mutual interest just because we maybe this or maybe that for 2020. That's just putting way too much faith in a bad coach and bad staff that has a good chance of not even being around when 2020 players are starting up.

14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    Bede often played both in AAU. AT's outside shot is broken unless he is WIDE OPEN because the defense intentionally sags off of him. He's a slasher, not close to being a shooter. Bede is significantly more athletic. Watch the games, not your advanced stats from your computer screen.

willisbrown likes this.
  15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    Did any of you actually watch Bede this year? He is flat out better than AT. It doesn't matter what your metrics say.

16. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,473
    Yeah to argue that Bede is not a better player than Thompson is simply wearing the butler glasses a little too thick. It's just not true. Thompson ain't that good of a player.

17. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $656
    Hahaha Bumba you’re Mr. Stats guy! You’ve referenced Fowler’s stats for 2 years as why he sucks. Bede averaged 3.8 ppg on 40% shooting! I’m not gonna pretend I watched a lot of VT but I don’t know how you can watch and think he’s so much better than Thompson. You guys just think the grass in greener.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  18. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,473
    Right now, any grass is greener. And taking on a guy that has played on a tournament team in high level games under a pretty damn good coach, to come on board and be a floor leader for two years. Yeah I'm good with that.

bumba likes this.
  19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,035
    I'd much rather have Vescovi or Beard or Long for 4 years...

20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    Some of you look at computer screens and make decisions based on numbers. The rest of us were actually here three years ago following & watching ESPN or live streams of his AAU games when he was being recruited. The kid blew up and was one of the best guards in his class.

But if you feel the need, go ahead and keep begging for a low major grad transfer from Central Montana Tech State that no one has ever heard of. I'm sure he averaged 18 points a game against weak competition we won't face in the Big East. I'll keep rooting for us to sign the Top 100 kid that had BU in his Top 3 and who helped get his ACC team to the Elite 8 in his sophomore year.

Is Bede better than JGB? Absolutely positively yes. This is a no brainer scholie upgrade.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019