Wabissa Bede - 2017 Point Guard (Virginia Tech)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 19, 2016.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    What makes you think any of those are no longer possible by signing Bede?

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,473
    That's the thing, there are spots still very much open using one or both of these spots. The staff and half of this forum seem to believe that is not the case. Bede doesn't do anything but make this roster better. And yeah, those players are good to very good but who's to say we get one of them? We're comparing maybe possibles to what could be a good use of a scholarship that is open right now. I would rather a right now guard than Bede, granted. But I'd be on board with Bede in a snap.

bumba likes this.
  3. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,128
    Is there anything to prove the staff doesn’t want to use the scholarships? Can someone please explain to me how they are simultaneously recruiting players and not planning to use the scholarships?

4. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,473
    I believe very much they are recruiting for 2020. I don't see much sign of desperation to land players that are out there and available for the upcoming season. There's a little traction with one (Bynum) and some of us pushing for another (Bede) but neither can play right away, there doesn't seem to be much of a push for anyone that can contribute right now. A lot can change in a little time, but we were out to a few guys right off the jump, all has been silent since with no other connections. I just believe it's not a pressing issue for them when I feel it's very much a pressing issue, so I'm admittedly frustrated.

5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    This was from 2015, he'd be Kamar 2.0 for BU.

6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,035
    Kamar only shot 30% this year...not exactly lighting the world on fire. So between Lamar a Bede and an AT combined equals not really good floor spacing granted Kamar is a senior and would never see the court at the same time as Bede. Yes he's a good player just don't think he fits with a system that we are trying to instill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,403
    Look, I’d be fine taking Bede. But to call him the next Kamar is insane.

Kamar averaged 16 ppg as a sophomore. Bede? 4 ppg.

I LOVED Bede coming out of HS. But honestly, he hasn’t been THAT much better than AT. I think this is a combination of seeing his HS ranking (which means nothing by a player’s junior year in college) and thinking every player on other teams are automatically better than Butler players.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,558
    Not even in the same universe.

9. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $656
    Holy ****! Are you guys serious?? How do you think a guy who averaged less than 4 ppg his sophomore year is Kamar?? Bede is an alright player but he’ll do nothing more than average 8 ppg and play good D.

And no it is highly unlikely a 2020 point guard would come to Butler knowing he’d be behind Bede and Thompson.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    If he played for BU, Bede could take Kamar's spot and put up similar numbers. Those who say he isn't a combo guard didn't follow his recruitment. The reason he didn't play 2 at VT is because they actually had a good team & Justin Robinson got hurt. They had no depth at the 1.

"Not in the same universe" is relative. He wasn't asked to do the same things as Kamar at VT (e.g. bail us out when none of our mid-major talent could score).

Keep in mind the only reason AT is here is because Bede didn't commit during Fall 2016 visits.

11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    Another stats watcher who probably never saw him play a game in college. Have you seen his ability? The way he plays the game? Not what shows up on your computer screen after the fact.

12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,403
    If we get Bede, do you really think he's averaging 17 ppg and being named 2nd-Team All-Big East his junior year?

13. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,473
    No, but he'd be a valuable piece to the team. I'm in the middle on this. I want him on this squad and believe in his skill set. I don't think he's up there as good as Kamar, but he's better than AT. I believe we could get by with he at the 2 and AT at the 1 or he at the 1 and Battle at the 2. Either way that improves the outlook for 2020-2021. I think we all can (mostly) agree getting Bede to Butler would be a good win for this staff.

14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    Let's be honest. Shouldn't anyone who is high major & takes 15 shots a game? Kamar is fairly close to his ceiling. Many of us talked this year about him being a good second alternative but not exactly a #1. He's Batman that needs a Robin.

Same with Bede. If he sat one, worked on his game for a year and then played the 1-2 his junior year with upperclassmen AT, David, Tucker, Nze & Golden, I think we would be damn good.

15. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,206
    Do you think a 6-1 Bede and a 6-2 Thompson can guard big east guards if they are on the floor at the same time? I know they are both “plus defenders” but I fear one of them getting bullied around by a bigger guard if they are both on the floor together.

bumba likes this.
  16. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    Baldwin & Bede are both 6'1. If this is a problem, it's probably already happening.

mwall787 likes this.
  17. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $564
    I have to believe Batman would be a little miffed at being characterized as "a good second alternative, but not exactly a #1" when it comes to he and Robin. Superheroes have egos, you know.

I think characterizing KB as Robin that needs a Batman is more accurate (and might be what you meant to say).

bumba and knobcreekfan like this.
  18. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,214
    It's a small sample, but I watched two VT games this season (at Chapel Hill and vs. Duke in the tournament). I thought he played fairly well against Duke. He got smoked by Coby White in Chapel Hill.

I think Bede would be a good addition to Butler and would be happy if he ended up there, but I also think he'd be another one of these players that fans built unrealistic expectations for, as evidenced by this thread.

19. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $656
    Hahahahahaha I’ve been on Butler message boards for 15 years and this is the hottest (dumbest) take I’ve ever seen. Congratulations!

If you really think a guy who averaged less than 4 points per game and shot 40% from the field is in the same universe as Baldwin, I question every opinion you’ve ever had. I like how you think Fowler is trash cause of his career averages but Bede’s don’t matter cause you watched some AAU games 3 years ago. Classic.

Bede is fine but if your take is he’ll be as good as Kamar, you’re insane. I think he’d be good at Butler. I’d just much rather bring in a freshman point guard in 2020 who will put the ball in the basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

estar20dawg and firedupkaren like this.
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,353
    I thought about this & took a stroll down memory lane in the recruiting 3.0 thread. Here's a list of 2020's the staff called in June 2018 on the first day they could make contact. That was less than a year ago:

2020 Kavon Blankenship
    2020 Reece Beekman
    2020 Jared Cook
    2020 Ben Carlson
    2020 JaKobe Coles
    2020 Tre Coleman
    2020 Elijah Taylor
    2020 Jacobi Wood
    2020 Dain Dainja
    2020 Desmond Polk
    2020 Isaac Lindsey

Virtually none of them are in the current picture. It's still more important to recruit who's high major & available today. We've missed on so many kids that blew up in AAU over the summer (Bede included originally):