Welcome back Thad!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BUcheer, Apr 3, 2022.

1. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,503
    Awesome stuff, Lukas. Looking forward to more pressure on the perimeter, rim protection and rim running to compliment the returning pieces.

On another note, I'm surprised nothing came out of any other media outlets following our "media day". Maybe something will?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Lukas Harkins and peeps112 like this.
  2. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,918
    Thanks for the kind words!

The "media day" you are referring to was just pictures for the team. Butler has not held its annual preseason local media day yet. That comes closer to opening tip, and it will happen again this year. My article was not stemming from that media day, but rather I took a half-day at work to go to practice and get my interviews in. I'd been pre-planning it for weeks.

3. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $3,503
    Thanks for the clarification and, again, for your passion for our passion!

Lukas Harkins, Tentozen and DawgDude like this.
  4. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $342
    Can someone summarize Lucas’ piece or copy and paste?

5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,551
    Open it in incognito mode, works perfectly fine then

6. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,918
    I hope that the link was able to work for you. If anyone has trouble, shoot me a DM on Twitter (if you have it) and I'll get it to you in some way. Sorry about the complications.

7. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,117
    Really good article, Lukas. It feels great to feel excited about Butler basketball again!

Tentozen, 2xDawg and Lukas Harkins like this.
  8. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,918
    Thank you for the kind words. I had a blast putting it together.

mwall787, 2xDawg and UDDawg like this.
  9. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $3,503
    Hey Lukas, you may hate me for asking this but I noticed you had us preseason 8th in the BEast on one of your other pieces. Do you think that is primarily due to a team still trying to come together or do you think some of us (me) may be overestimating our upgrade in talent relative to other BEast teams?

10. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,618
    I would be happy with being number 8 in the Big East........if all of us are ranked nationally in the top 10. :)

2xDawg and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  11. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,918
    A combination, honestly. I do think there has been some overestimating of the upgrades (the rest of the league also did very well), but also worth noting that there could be a learning curve with three new starters and a more up-tempo system. Additionally, I wrote that over the summer before having any intel on how Butler or any other Big East program looked in the preseason. If asked to re-rank them today, I'd have Butler 7th -- could see as high as fifth or as low as ninth in the preseason. I think Butler's ceiling is very high if it all comes together, and I'm optimistic that it can, but I can't post a Big East piece and be high on Butler without having my credibility questioned, either. Just the nature of covering one team as well as being a national writer. I think the overall expectation should be to compete around the middle of the Big East and for an NCAA Tournament bid; we could find out early if they will be better than that, though. I think Butler is the biggest sleeper in the league, honestly.

indienapolis, 2xDawg, #60 and 5 others like this.
  12. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    Most of the recent BE rankings/predictions I’ve seen have Butler 8th as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

13. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,334
    I think the biggest thing that could hurt us next year is our questionable offense. It should be better than last season, but I still don't see many consistent double-digit scorers on the team or a clutch-time offensive weapon. I imagine Thad will be a better late-game schemer than LJ was, but it's still hard to win without reliable offensive firepower or a proven scoring threat. There's a few guys I could see blossoming into that type of player, but it can't be expected going into next season. The defense, however, I could see being top 25 nationally, so maybe that will be enough to compensate. We should be better than Georgetown and DePaul. Otherwise it's anyone's guess.

2xDawg likes this.
  14. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,783
    Way too conservative. We’re going to be very good.

HoosierDawg, BoyGeoff and Tentozen like this.
  15. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $342
    John Fanta posted this on Twitter last night

Just sat down with Butler’s Chuck Harris and asked why he stayed: “I didn’t want to leave the program in the place it was in. I don’t quit and that wasn’t going to happen here. And the way Thad (Matta) talked to me, it got me to lock back in. We’ve got something special ahead.”

16. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    Last year in BE regular season play Butler was 4-0 vs Georgetown & DePaul and 2-14 against everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,791
    That's a real telling set of numbers - also it is clear, as Lukas points out, most of the BigE teams have added a lot of firepower - in some cases more than BU - it's not going to be an easy road.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    znelson15 and estar20dawg like this.
  18. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,217
    First time to try to add video—does this forum not accept it? Had some short clips from practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,800
    I don't believe you can post it directly to the forum. You'll have to upload it to one of the video filesharing sites that the forum will allow you to link, such as YouTube, first and then share it here.

BUcheer likes this.
  20. fchd

fchd Active Member

Money:
    $189
    As it happens, I was in a bookies in the UK today and looked at their odds for the Big East outright (regular season)

Creighton & Nova were the favourites, both around 5-2
    UConn was about 4-1
    Xavier 7-1
    Seton Hall 8-1
    Providence & Marquette both 14-1
    BUTLER 18-1
    St Johns 20-1
    DePaul & Georgetown both 60-1

i.e. also 8th.