West Gym and Wildman Rooms going up x2...yikes!

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by GO_DAWGS!, Jan 25, 2019.

1. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $78
    West Gym will double to $2000 by 2020-21 season
    Wildman room will go to 10K a year for two passes by 20-21 season.

What I love about the West Gym is the family atmosphere of the whole thing. My kids love going there before the game, and at halftime....but if they keep upping it, the prices of things within it, and ticket prices every year(way more than just keeping up with inflation) they eventually are going to lose a majority of those families. I get the theory that they are just still getting it up to Big East level, but the market and clientele are still the same.

At 10K for 2 passes, the Wildman room surely is going to change clientele quite a bit as well by 2021.

ButlerProf and SpartanDawgs like this.
  2. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $363
    Also the donations aren't tax deductible anymore!

3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,464
    The answer to all of this: Midnight Madness

(facepalm)

joliebeth23 and SpartanDawgs like this.
  4. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $363
    Would also like to add in the west gym, they won't let you take out the free snacks or free pop to the concourse.

5. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $424
    Geez. All we see on this board…

Barry needs to pay our coach and coaching staff a lot more. We need to build a better practice facility. We need to spend more money recruiting. We act like we are still in the Horizon League. Spend…Spend…Spend.

Barry tries to generate revenue to pay for the wish list…and people complain. Most economists would look at the Wildman Room and immediately determine the current price tag is way too low. There is way too much demand and not enough supply.

6. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    If the Dawgs go south over the next few years they won't have to worry about the Wildman Room or the West Gym. When Butler decided to join the Big East the program was not financially
    prepared and is still playing catch up. Look around the Big East they all have way more resources then Butler has or ever will have. Chris Denari told me a long time ago that Indy is front
    runner town and Butler does not have that large of a fan base a few bad years in a row, Butler will be back to mascot games, bobble days, and two for one tickets. Just saying.

ButlerProf likes this.
  7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,640
    As long as Barry Collier is there the program will be fine.

8. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $68
    How can that be. Are you sure? Just asking...

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    You receive a benefit from them. If you set up your own donor advised fund you may still be able to indirectly benefit but you’d have to donate A LOT to pass the standard deduction. I also don’t know for sure if this would be legal.

I know there are some accountants on here who I’m sure know the new tax code better than me.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  10. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    I posted in the other thread, but this is unquestionably the right move for Butler from a business perspective.

It does leave a sour taste though that they do it as they’re decreasing the benefits of donating.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $78
    It’s only “unquestionably the right move” if they don’t price themselves out of their current/past fan base. Yes we are in the Big East now, but the product and fan base hasn’t changed a whole lot and we don’t have the numbers IU or Purdue have. The Wildman Room can try and be super exclusive but I’m skeptical this aging die hard fan base has a ton of folks with 10k a year to drop for drinks before/after the game. I know a few 20 year ticket/Wildman folks that said at 5k that was the top they could do when it got raised to that.

West Gym is nothing fancy but for me it’s one is those things that makes Hinkle special because it’s families, kids running around, etc. $2000 plus ticket prices can be a rough call for a family with young kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

12. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,990
    If they keep putting this garbage on the floor it won’t matter. I remember in the early 90s when you could attendance on one hand. They shot themselves on the foot on this one. You live and die by the team’s performance and I just don’t see them making the tourney for the next couple of years. It could snowball really badly.

13. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    I like Barry Collier, but he's the same guy who hired Brandon Miller.

14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    and Brad Stevens.

ButlerProf likes this.
  15. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    So he hired one legendary coach and one massive dud. Point being, he's not infallible at the job.

16. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    He hired Holtmann too. Certainly no one is perfect but if there’s anyone who has earned the benefit of the doubt at their job, it’s him.

17. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $68
    Chris Holtmann was at Butler because Brandon Miller hired/recruited him as an assistant.

18. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    We have never, ever hired someone who is not associated with Butler as a head coach since 1989. Holtmann was on staff because Miller hired him as an assistant and bailed when
    more money came up. I like LaVall and he is a good representative for the program, but was he ready for the head coaching job when it opened up? The jury is still out. Collier realizes this hire
    is big and the future of the program depends on it. I hate to keep harping about it, but we are behind in facilities (practice gym) and other resources and it will probably never be breached

19. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    This is dumb. Who cares if he was still at Butler? Barry still hired him.

If you can’t see that Barry has done an amazing job with the resources he he’s had, in fact if you even think that’s up for debate, you’re just flat out wrong.

butlerdude05 and Insane Dawg like this.
  20. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    Obviously winning, like the sold out Villanova game, might make this sale a "tad" easier. Would love to know Barry's "real" thoughts these days on the current status of the program. The two are undeniably tied together.