West Gym and Wildman Rooms going up x2...yikes!

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by GO_DAWGS!, Jan 25, 2019.

1. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,192
    Lol Phil Jackson couldn't have won more than 11 games with that UWM team. That's absolutely an absurd way to think "his record is what his record is" as for leap of faith yes that is true. Stevens had less coaching experience than Jordan. If he's could see into the future this would be easy for everyone. I'm just saying when making an argument you might just want to know everything before throwing things out. I'd this were a courtroom and that was your argument you'd be torn to shreds. Again I'm not on either side if you're going to make that argument you can't expect it not to come with push back with real facts.

That's like saying Ted Williams went 0-3 in his first game. He shouldn't be playing in the majors...for those who don't know who Ted Williams is, he's the greatest hitter of all time.

And for the record he went 1-4 in his actual first game with a double

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf and wazthree like this.
  2. estar20dawg

Money:
    $4,192
    Just wow... I have no words. Did you get a Butler degree?

3. estar20dawg

Money:
    $4,192
    Yikes, um what kind of law so I know where to stay away

4. estar20dawg

Money:
    $4,192
    Lol hmm like what you were trying to compare LJs first season to... Maybe you are a good lawyer trying to manipulate data to try and make your point. I'll take it back. Sounds just like a lawyer grasping for anything to try to manipulate and distort to win their case

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,734
    I’d hope any real attorney would see that being an attorney provides no evidentiary support for the conclusion that one should not lecture someone on a sports chat forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerProf likes this.
  6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $145
  7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,456
    I do think that Brad Stevens was mentioned.

8. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,921
    Here you go. He made the ncaa tournament with a new team he took over in the middle of the summer. He managed to keep the team together and play well, could have been a complete disaster with any coach.

Also, he made the second round of the tournament.

I consider that a great year. I think you forgot about that and only cite UWM.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf likes this.
  9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,734
    I think we should point out that computer rankings, which we have accepted as objectively better rankings systems than humans, don’t give a damn if you win or lose the game.

It’s how you perform relative to expectations given the level of competition, and Estar is saying that Lavall did that very well. Saying you’re only judged by your record is objectively wrong.

10. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,921
    ?? Who are his players?

pappyball and UDDawg like this.
  11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,542
    Lol "his players." 8 of the 10 guys in the rotation were either already here or committed when LaVall took over.

12. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $69
    I’m really, really tired of people bashing Brandon Miller. Go back and look again; Dawgs first Big East season, 10-1 or 2 non-conference, minus Rosie the whole year, unreal conference losses in OT, less than 5 points, with a squad that was recruited for Horizon league-can’t even count A10 recruits, followed Stevens, and leading a group of 18-22 year olds many who competed in the third conference in 3 years. I’m not making excuses for him; just stating facts. If you’re truly a Butler fan, let’s revere Brandon for all he’s given to Butler. Check yourself on compassion before you bash again. Peace out.

13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,734
    I actually totally agree, but we have no reason to believe that Brandon couldn’t have become a very good coach.

We lost our best player, and had a large amount of the team that had signed up for brad and didn’t buy in.

Yes the wheels fell off that season, yes; I’m happy we ended up with Holtmann, but it’s entirely possible Miller could have still worked out as a very good hire.

ButlerProf likes this.
  14. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $583
    Yes. Brandon had/has health issues. They derailed his career, but have nothing to do with his coaching ability.

15. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,364
    ButlerProf likes this.
  16. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $145
    Every coaching hire comes with some type of leap of faith. Even experienced, previously successful head coaching hires have bombed out at previously successful programs (ie Billy Gillispie), and even coaches who are successful now weren't necessarily immediately at their current programs (Beilein, Bennett, Wright).

Butler isn't beyond doing what they've done (and done well considering the frequency which it's happened). No one currently coaching in the Big East other than Jay Wright made the NCAA tournament immediately before starting at their current school. The ones with high major head coaching experience (McDermott, Leitao) were both fired at those programs before coming to their current jobs and made one tournament between the two of them at that high major program (Leitao in 2007). Mullin, Wojo Ewing and Steele had zero head coaching experience. Mullin had zero coaching experience period.

Willard's best finish at Iona was 3rd in the MAAC, and then it took him 6 years at Seton Hall before he made the tournament. Cooley won the MAAC regular season in his last year at Fairfield, but both he and Williard's first years at those mid-major programs were ones in which they won 13 and 12 games respectively.

Butler's budget and facilities aren't in line yet with those schools. So my opinion is that while the hiring of Jordan does come with a component of faith, it isn't any more than what any other program in the Big East made with their current coach and staff.

17. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,303
    I was going to write something similar today but decided to bite my tongue. I'm 100% in agreement with you. I felt he was handed a huge problem that year and did the best he could with little talent and very serious health issues. Compassion is way overdue.

ButlerProf likes this.
  18. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,455
    Unfortunately it did not work for Brandon Miller, health issues disrupted his tenure and he was 10-3 in the non conference with a win over Purdue in the Crossroads Classic. It went south
    after an OT loss to Villanova in the opener. From what I understand there were several issues, mainly players who were recruited by Stevens not buying in. We will never know what would
    have or could have happened.

ButlerProf and lee@bu1984 like this.
  19. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,255
    Who is the dud? Brandon Miller? Last I heard he had serious health issues. Do you really want to pick on a guy who got really sick?

estar20dawg and ButlerProf like this.
  20. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,255
    The "sunshine and rainbows coalition" is merely an over-correction toward the positive extreme of the Judge Coach Jordan spectrum, to wit: JORDAN=GOOD.

This phenomenon occurs naturally when the pendulum has swung too far in the JORDAN=BAD direction. Similarly, the "Doom and Gloom" coalition comes out in full force whenever the pendulum has swung too far toward JORDAN=GOOD.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019