West Gym and Wildman Rooms going up x2...yikes!

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by GO_DAWGS!, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    I respect the take. I just know that Butler homecoming gives me an excuse to go back to campus every year and keeps me in touch with the university.

I just think the alumni would lose a marquee event that really keeps them going back and potentially giving to the university.

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    Other schools that don't have football turn homecoming into a public basketball scrimmage. Blue Vs white teams. I think alumni would love to see that. How many alumni stay for the entire game even?

I know I'd be more likely to show up and stay for a basketball exhibition than football.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,130
    Have been told that football brings in more tuition paying male students—the gender breakdown at BU is heavily skewed female. Now whether the cost of football negates the tuition—I have no clue. As the Business school continues it’s rise, more males will be attracted to BU, but for now, football helps with that disparity.

knobcreekfan likes this.
  4. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    You also call people "bud" online to assert your internet dominance. I for one, am impressed.

dawgs2014, pappyball and estar20dawg like this.
  5. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    Maybe...but you could replace it with a basketball kick-off and probably get similar/better attendance.

Hinkle and estar20dawg like this.
  6. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    Football adds to male enrollment, I go to games and have contributed to the program but there is really little interest in the program campus wide or locally. Attendance numbers do
    not lie.

7. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $792
    FYI: I call some of my own friends bud in debates. Nothing was made to be demeaning about it.

8. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $792
    It has less to do about the game, and more to do about the fact, that it allows people to outdoor tailgate in prime fall weather right outside of Hinkle. Sure, maybe they could do that to a certain degree with a basketball game, but I don't think it's quite the same. The fact that a lot of people don't even attend the game and just tailgate makes me feel it wouldn't be.

Maybe the team can experiment with firepits and try a more promoted basketball homecoming and see what happens though...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,035
    The total enrollment is up by 15 or so percent since I was a freshman (from something like 4300 to around 5000), and that's despite Butler's admissions standards becoming somewhat more stringent. Butler has something like 20 football players per class, and of course not all of them are paying full tuition, and not all of them wouldn't have come to Butler were it not for football. So, you're looking at maybe losing something like 12 full-tuition-paying males per class due to football? There's no way you couldn't replace a at least a few, and possibly all, of those ~12 with other full-tuition-males, and even if you couldn't, it's fairly negligible.

And the 40/60 male/female ratio Butler has (or at least, that's what it was when I was in school) is par for the course; 56% of college students are female, and Butler has dance and PA programs that, for various reasons, are nearly always dominated by women and push that percentage slightly higher than average.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    estar20dawg likes this.
  10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,035
    I get your point and it's a good one to consider. Homecoming is a great event, drives at least some giving, and it'd be better to have it than not have it, all else equal. But do we really want to support an entire football program so we can have a good alumni event in October? It seems unlikely it's worth the cost. That's an expensive party.

Hinkle Magic2 and estar20dawg like this.
  11. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $792
    I respect your take, you make good poitns, and I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here.

I do think though your demographic right now are Butler basketball fans at a Butler basketball forum.

I'm sure there's a lot of families (and those who like to party), who would be pretty disappointed if there was no fall homecoming tailgate to attend. Not to mention, some disappointed Butler football alumni and families. Seems like a losing scenario for at least some side.

12. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,293
    I played football from 05-09. I remember when I was there we lost Lacrosse and Men’s Swimming. Definitely a tough situations (some blamed football, some blamed basketball).

A few things to consider - I agree male addition to enrollment is negligible at best. Hell I was full academic Scholly at butler for four years so not only was I traveling but also only paying room and board.

Yes I would say operating costs season by season > revenue earned by football. In addition, cost of paying for medical procedures etc for that large a team. However one thing to consider - 20-30 guys per year with closer tie to the school than average pop may be worth it in long run with donations. I don’t donate to my HS. I don’t donate to my Med School. I donate to Butler.
    In addition, more recently, they have been paid to play several teams. This upcoming year they go to Minnesota/Target Field to play S. Dakota St. I’m pretty sure it covers all of their expenses for the rest of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bmradio99 and dippper61 like this.
  13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    As someone who has worked in collegiate athletic departments the "paid" game doesn't even come close to paying for a season. It is definitely worth it if the price is right but in the end the pay game still comes out as a net negative on the balance sheet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. DawgsMD

Money:
    $2,293
    I have no reason to doubt you. I just find what is told to the public about said games is different than reality. I may have phrased it wrong, but someone in Butler Athletics said that this game would cover airfare for rest of season, which is a big expense (or something close). So not all but a fair portion. Again I may be misled, but if this were the case, this would be likely the first time it for a Butler football time that this would be the case, because they also said the prior games they’ve been paid to play in didn’t come close. Maybe it’s strictly because it’s SDSU, maybe I’m being fed poppycock. I anticipate maybe it’s more at the higher level (think Bama playing Citadel).
    Don’t know if you have more to add but I’d be interested to know more.

15. DawgsMD

Money:
    $2,293
    Regardless, I would hate to see Butler football go. But I anticipate from a strictly financial standpoint, I can’t see how this wouldn’t save the department money.

16. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $724
    Doc, sometimes I agree with you, sometimes I don’t, but you are one of the most thoughtful and non-judgemental posters we have.

17. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,779
    I thought for sure that designation went to orange man/little hands/yuge ego for commander-in-chief. Did I miss something?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Tentozen and estar20dawg like this.
  18. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,522
    Not a fan of orange man but... what did your post mean?

19. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,412
    "Profitable collegiate athletic departments" just aren't a thing. See the UConn report. (Not saying you don't recognize this, MD - I'm sure you do.) The real question is how much of a deficit can you afford to run and still net the goals of advertisement, exposure, engagement, etc.? Non-scholarship football is very, very tough from that standpoint, both for the team and the department in general.

I know the Target Field thing is a big buy game, but have they lined up similar cash windfalls for the following seasons as well? TBH if they are able to strategically do stuff like that regularly to offset so many costs, it's a huge burden lifted. Would love for that to be the case.

20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    At the same time I think you have to look at the responsibility of even playing that game.

If it happened this year it is the equivalent of almost a very good d3 team playing a top 25 d1 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops