What’s going on?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by GO_DAWGS!, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Bernie44

Bernie44 Member

Money:
    $137

2. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,833
    BU probably insisted Theo teach a class because he couldn’t coach.
    Don’t forget Tony Hinkle coached football, basketball and baseball AND reffed HS football. Either they couldn’t pay him enough or he just loved sports. I’m guessing both are correct!

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

jeff and chc3 like this.
  3. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,001
    Someone once told me Hink also had the grounds maintenence contract for the campus.

4. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $582
    they do sort of. Gatoraid Player of the Year

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,307
    Yea and he did most of the work. When I first met him he was in cleats and white shorts ,no shirt ,very tan raking the ball diamond

6. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $143
    I hardly knew George as I had already been transferred to Detroit by the time he took over, but I found his brother Chris to be a great guy. Chris played ball at Washington HS.

7. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $226
    Bill Shepherd, Sr. would've been a better choice than Theo. Theo was a lousy coach and not a had a negative attitude... One of the best cheers when he was coach was: "Goodbye Theo, goodbye Theo, goodbye Theo, we hate to see ya go."

8. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,307
    He had like an 80-20 win loss record at Shortridge .

9. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,833
    Even though I grew up in Carmel during “the Shepherd era” I don’t think any high school coach can jump right in to a college head coaching job. Yes, Shepherd probably would have been the better coach of the two, and Butler would have had both Billy and Dave playing for their dad, I doubt he could have handled the job in the long run.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,663
    The Theo years were a dark period in Butler Basketball, it was tough to watch. He did have some talent Mason, Burris, Monz, Collier, Bill Lynch, Crain, and John Dunn.To
    be fair the university did not do much to promote the program, bottom line Theo couldn't coach.

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,307
    Back in those days the progression of most college coaches was through the high school ranks. Now it’s through being through the assistant college coach ranks many of whom never played college basketball or ever were a head coach. When Tony Hinkle left the scene all of the athletic programs began to decline and actually the university went into a form of blah. Thankfully Collier came along and saved athletics. Fortunately there were also positive changes at the top of the university.

Bernie44, 2xDawg, chc3 and 1 other person like this.
  12. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,325
    I think Burris and Collier at least were under Sexson, not Theofanis.

13. IndieDawg

IndieDawg Active Member

Money:
    $2,019
    Collier was there under Theo. He spoke at his funeral and talked about playing for him. Theo was lights out at Shortridge. Not sure what happened at BU

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

14. Bernie44

Bernie44 Member

Money:
    $137
    Burris also played all his 4 years under Theo.

15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,119
    Theo had some issues with Shep during his senior year. Playing defense was not a strength for his teams, but they had some talent.

16. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $226
    Theo had problems with Shepherd before he even got there. Many people wanted Billy's dad as coach and Theo was defensive from the very beginning. And he was "lights out at Shortridge" because of talent, not coaching.

Staxawax likes this.
  17. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,119
    Oscar Evans was great of offense and terrible on defense. Theo was ICC coach of year twice for what it's worth but only had a couple of winning seasons while at Butler.