What are we drinking?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MilkSteak, Jan 18, 2014.

1. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $827
    Two very good bourbons, Jeptha Creed and Town Branch. Very different from each other, but two of my favorites. Decent prices too.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    Depends on the type of booze. If we're talking vodka, you're insane to pay up. If we're talking bourbon, though, the average $40 bottle is certainly better than the average $15 bottle. I don't think I've ever had any of them that cost more than $80 or so, so I have no idea whether the super high end ones are really any better.

But I'll gladly pay the premium for Buffalo Trace over, say, entry level Evan Williams.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    noltar and knobcreekfan like this.
  3. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,873
    Anybody have New Riff? I just got a single barrel bottle as a thank you from a vendor. Have not cracked it yet, but wanted to hear thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,497
    JW Dant is as entry level as it gets in the bourbon game. Very Old Barton, Old Grand Dad are others that you can get in 100+ proof that don't break the bank.

5. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $756
    Maker's Select with 1 rock; Woodford with coke; Bardstown Fusion #1 was the most interesting I've had lately. I love to buy random ass bourbons and try them. Most are fine, with the occasional bad pick. Woodford stays in the decanter for use with friends/family casually.

Hell, I've even taken to naming my fantasy teams "Woodford Reserves" :)

6. noltar

noltar Well-Known Member

Money:
    $692
    I'll echo the black label. Miles better than the standard white label for not much more. Granted the black label is about the same price as EC or BT so anymore I'd be likely to snag one of those over the black label. Need to get my hands on a bottle of 4RSBS since it just came to Indiana and I've heard good things.

7. noltar

noltar Well-Known Member

Money:
    $692
    Also a fan of the Fusion series 1 (haven't had 2 yet)! It's a bit overpriced IMO but still glad to have it in my collection. For the 'new' distilleries I'd take a bottle of New Riff Single Barrel over the Bardstown any day though.

8. noltar

noltar Well-Known Member

Money:
    $692
    Love it. You def won't be disappointed, especially for free.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  9. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $3,728
    I like their gin that’s soaked in oak bourbon barrels. Definitely a different taste but not bad neat - haven’t found a mixer that works with it too well.
    As for their bourbon, I liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  10. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $3,728
    bmradio99, noltar and knobcreekfan like this.
  11. Snozzberry

Snozzberry New Member

Money:
    $32
    5:00 pm - Time for Hotel Tango - Reserve Bourbon aged 6 years w/ one cube. Nice distillery in Fountain Square.

12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,727
    One jumbo, two regular, shot of jack apple....rough night at the mexi joint.

13. The Hound

The Hound Member

Money:
    $102
    Finally some warmer weather. Time to stock up on limes and some smooth reposado tequila. On the rocks with a splash of 7up.

14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,969
    I have a $150 bottle (done by J.W. Rutledge) and it’s certainly the best bourbon I’ve ever had, but I don’t think it’s 3x as good as Michters for example.

I gave some to my girlfriends dad and his best friend and while they recognized it was very good bourbon, I don’t think they were so blown away to guess it’s even close to that price point.

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    I'd imagine a quality/price curve for most consumer goods is sigmoid. E.g., for bourbon, there's probably a pretty healthy increase in quality per dollar between the 10ish and 30ish range but then at some point becomes a smaller and smaller increase per dollar. That's pretty much everything. The difference between a $5,000 and $25,000 car? Massive. The difference between a $70,000 and $100,000 car? Basically nothing/personal preference.

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,969
    Agreed. Eagle rare and Woodford are my most common to drink straight because I don’t view the difference between them and Michter’s or Jefferson’s Very Old (my special occasion but not super special occasion go to’s) as being very much, and there is a 50% price differential.

I also use 1792 when I mix drinks or cocktails because it’s roughly the same as WT101 or Makers, but I think it’s significantly better.

Hinkle likes this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    Actually bought JW today at your suggestion. Going to try tonight. Will report back.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

willisbrown likes this.
  18. noltar

noltar Well-Known Member

Money:
    $692
    Intrigued as well. Been looking to snag a cheap BiB lately. I’ve heard great things about both the OGD Bib as well as the OGD 114 for the price point too.

19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,727
    I went out and had two tecate and 4 margaritas. I washed it down with a burrito and a taco with a side of rice. Now home and night capping with a vodka soda. Corona can suck it. I had a great night.

20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    I'll start by saying I got a fifth for 14.99, which is really, really cheap. There just aren't a ton of bourbons that are at that price point and lower. And for its price point, I do think it's really good. Compared to Old Crowe, Ten High, Evan Williams, Royal Emblem, etc., I definitely liked it better.

That said, I compared it to a $40 bottle I had on hand, and I do think it was still obvious which was the bargain whiskey. But yeah, JW is good value.

ButlerNut likes this.