What Needs to Happen in '21-'22...

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Mar 21, 2021.

1. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $567
    ....for us to be back playing on this day next year? I know COVID screwed us last year, but I'm sick and tired of watching these games with little to no rooting interest. I hope making the tournament doesn't turn in to a once in a 5 year type thing, instead of a yearly or every other year expectation. Anyways, what needs to happen NEXT YEAR to get us back playing on this day?

I'll start:

-A knockdown 3 pt shooter that is taller than 6'2" (think more McDermott than Bolden). Hit the transfer market hard, LaVall.

-One of Piece Thomas/Jayden Taylor being a breakout star.

-A big body on the transfer market, not necessarily for scoring purposes, but for "beef" purposes. Get a big lug out there who will make life difficult for other bigs, even if they can't really score.

-A quicker than expected recovery from Myles Tate

With no changes to the roster, I'll put our current odds for the tourney at 25%. Subject to change.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  2. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,501
    Coles is healthy. Scooby comes back healthy if he does.

Get quick guards that can shoot, dribble and shoot free throws. Only have one in Chuck.

They need to improve on offense big time. Emphasis guys who can shoot free throws.

Tentozen likes this.
  3. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $704
    If it makes anyone feel better, if for whatever reason Scooby would not be back, he likely would have already announced it. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

mass_dawgs, Tentozen and znelson15 like this.
  4. RobertT

RobertT Member

Money:
    $46
    #1 a second go to scorer besides Harris to emerge. When we need a basket, who can we throw it to and tell them to go score. Lack of that guy(s) KILLED us at times and addressing it would prevent some big droughts and opponent runs.

#2 - player development/readiness. We are still going to rely on a lot of freshmen/sophomores for production. It has to be more consistent than we saw this year.

#3 - Yes, we need a big body and a shooter and im confident we'll address that. So, how well we do addressing it is my #3.

Tentozen and BoyGeoff like this.
  5. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,053
    Per your #2 (giggle), remember that those guys we relied on this year will still be freshmen next year. So even more freshmen!

6. 740OHIOBulldog

740OHIOBulldog Active Member

Money:
    $1,453
    How about we actually play Butler defense, and run an offense other than 1 on 1.

7. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,469
    Welp, I have a really stoopid question: How does roster size work next year if players have the choice of coming back? If a senior decides to come back and play again does someone else on the roster, perhaps an incoming freshman, have to quit the team? Say that AT, CD, Nze and Hodges all decide to return. Does that mean that 4 other guys who were planning to be on the team have to quit all of a sudden?

I say it's a stupid question because surely this has been discussed a lot, both here and in media in general. I just haven't been following the "special COVID rules" aspect of this season.

ButlerFan89 likes this.
  8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,692
    Returning players who otherwise would've exhausted their eligibility, but for the pandemic waiver, do not count against the scholarship limit if they stay at the same school. If they go to a new school, they count toward the scholarship limit.

9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,312
    Exactly. All four could come back and the "roster" would still be at "13" so no one loses their scholarship that's incoming or underclassmen.

FWIW I'm sticking to it that only one is coming back that would be in that category and that's AT. Hodges was already counted in the numbers for next season. But since he played some he doesn't count towards the overall numbers as I understand it.

Think we technically can fill 3 spots.

10. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,313

#60, pjohnsto2003, 2xDawg and 5 others like this.
  11. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,399
    Woah

ButlerProf, NCJon and mwall787 like this.
  12. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Well-Known Member

Money:
    $412
    Glad they're all back. I'd rather have a logjam than a short bench. Really surprised and happy by Nze.

2xDawg, NCJon and dawgs2014 like this.
  13. ButlerHomer

Money:
    $412
    I watched that video and was like "Okay it's cool they're doing a very late video thanking the seniors but I want to know who is coming back!" Can't say I expected that ending.

DawgPoundMac, Dawgedd, Shimmy and 5 others like this.
  14. Graves4

Graves4 Member

Money:
    $66
    Already off to a bad start with 4 seniors returning. Can’t wait to see AT’s shooting improvements!

znelson15 likes this.
  15. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,086
    Wow. Really hope this doesn’t have a domino effect of anyone getting upset about playing time.

16. bwesson15

bwesson15 Well-Known Member

Wow the main one I'm happy about is Nze that's huge. I was indifferent on the rest hopefully Bolden has a shorter leash than he had this year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

znelson15 likes this.
  17. ButlerHomer

Money:
    $412
    Just going to be a reality of the next 4 years of college basketball. Teams are going to have way more players.

NCJon likes this.
  18. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $177

Are you kidding me?! Wow, suddenly I really want Miller Kopp now. Having 2 sharp shooters to go with Nze coming back would do wonders for him.

NCJon likes this.
  19. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    Think they all will. They know what’s behind them. The fact they’re all coming back, after this season, to probably play less-is the loudest statement about our culture and Lavall Jordan anyone could make.

Also, Nze coming back is a game changer.

20. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $682
    This worries me big time. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy for the guys coming back. They have that option and they have earned the right to give it one more run. However, that’s a lot of people fighting for playing time and in the world we live in young guys expect to play immediately. So, I am not as worried about next year as the year after. If guys decide to leave it could leave large holes for 22-23 season. Plus, am I wrong this takes us out of any transfers this coming season? That was a lot of guys sitting on the bench.