What Needs to Happen in '21-'22...

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Mar 21, 2021.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,311
    Heh...it was (and has been) quite the cold take. At least I got one of the four right? Batting .250 isn't just awful. I'm definitely shocked by this news.

2. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,490
    Bolden was put in a position where he was trying to do more than he was capable of. He is a very good shooter, and will just be called on to do that in a lot less minutes than this past year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

jeff and WestLoopDog like this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,311
    And I think that's the right role. 15-18 minutes a game where he can be set up to shoot, not have to create his own shot. He did much of that later in the year and we saw where the numbers went.

Tentozen likes this.
  4. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,501
    They weren't very good at setting him up to shoot though.

Don't you think that since three of the four of them were part of problem where they accounted for scoring the least in the BE per gm it likely is going to happen again? As someone already said, our offense was slow in pace. That is likely to continue. Also AT and Nze were part of the problem of being horrendous at FT"s and they are back. We have seen enough sample size on FT"s so that problem isn't likely to improve.

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    Willis and Tentrozen are right here. Bolden has a valuable role on this team, the right role for him just isn’t primary scorer. I still think he’ll average 10-12 points per game, but when we need a basket he’s not the guy we should be going to.

Calling him part of the problem just isn’t born out by data.

Free throws likely will struggle from Nze and AT bud that’s a lot easier to stomach if the rest of the team shoots them well. Golden is good, Harris is excellent, Hodges is not.

Tentozen likes this.
  6. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,178
    Lukas had a good piece on this but it's not that Butler has a lot of bad FT shooters; its that the guys who shoot the most free throws are bad. If Harris can get to the line a bit more often (which he should as he gets more respect) then our average should go up.

Bernie44, dawgs2014 and Tentozen like this.
  7. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,110
    I'm just excited about all the potential depth, but we'll see how healthy everyone is able to stay. Actually having an offseason training program (which should be okay once everyone is vaccinated) should help with that. Not a ton of guard depth with Tate out, but on the wings and at the forward spots there is, and there should be a healthy competition for backup minutes at the 3, and then it'll be interesting to see how they utilize Wilmoth as he has enough footspeed and length to defend a multitude of positions.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  8. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,399
    One thing I love about the outlook of our off-season is stability and consistency - which is something that is often absent in Butler off-seasons.

Our entire team is returning and all of our new guys are local. That means they will have the entire off-season to work out together. Something we didn't have last year.
    There are no coaching changes. There are no defections (so far). Just an entire team coming back - which shouldn't be understated in an off-season already with 890+ transfers in the portal.

And as others have alluded to, this team had to watch the NCAA Tournament come to their campus knowing they weren't going to participate. I would assume that would be in the back of their minds all off-season.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  9. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,490
    Hopefully Nze improves his FT shooting like he improved his 3 pt. Shooting last year. His form isn’t bad.

cornette33 likes this.
  10. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,412
    We hope everyone is returning. The number of transfers is just insane and while I hope we get everyone back, I’d be shocked if we do.

I don’t have any knowledge of anyone leaving or anyone thinking about it, it’s just so common it’s hard to imagine us getting through an offseason without any.

11. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,921
    While I agree wholeheartedly with the message/sentiment here, I do worry it's a little too soon to say this for certain.

12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,399
    Absolutely agree. I actually just went back and added a (so far) to my original post.

13. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,921
    Just adding my thoughts...

There's a couple caveats, but the seniors coming back is a huge win.

Caveats

1. Tate is medical redshirt. With Thompson AND Bolden coming back, there's just not enough guard minutes. But I guess we still are looking at grad transfer guards so who knows?
    2. Previous playing time is scrapped. Clean sheet of paper approach, I think the only one who would be rightfully "guaranteed" minutes is Nze.

DawgPoundMac, Shimmy, tedfrye and 4 others like this.
  14. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,110
    Wow, this is surprising. Two things go through my mind: 1. I guess we now know what Battle meant when he said we bring a lot of seniors back. Hopefully, he sees this as a great opportunity to win which is what he said he wants. 2. As someone else mentioned, the guys are definitely all in with LaVall and each other!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,616
    Wiping the slate clean, but keep any competition open between players. No guarantees for playing time would be preferable. Keep everything open and playing time will rewarded by merit. Especially when considering potential transfers. That will all work out. With the seniors returning should give LJ loads of flexibility. The idea of platooning may be an option, but more importantly is developing a strategy that plays to the strengths of the team next season. Perhaps even full court pressure at certain times.

16. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    With bodies, we can definitely play a little more up tempo being able to make lineup changes. We saw we played better with a little more up tempo. You ca definitely press and run with Harris, Hodges, AT, Taylor, Thomas, Nze, Coles, DJ

17. huss587

huss587 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $474
    My few cents on this news is that it has to be a net positive. Definitely share the concerns that this a LOT of guys on a roster, but absolutely prefer it over 7 scholarship players suiting up like we did at times this year.

On the note of “these are the same guys from a 10-15 team, what’s changing?”... Certainly a valid point. Still not sure where offensive production is coming from on a consistent basis, outside of Chuck. Maybe that gets sorted out via transfer or actually having an off-season to work together?

To echo some of the Bolden comments, I felt like we got an idea of how Avery Woodson would’ve performed had he been forced into a primary scoring role. Here’s to hoping Bolden’s final season mirrors Avery’s, which I think is entirely possible.

Regarding AT and Nze’s dismal FT shooting this year - didn’t they both shoot 60ish from the line in ‘19-‘20? I realize that’s still not good, but it’s certainly better than <50% (and ‘19-‘20 was an improvement from their prior year IIRC - so they have it in them to progress).

Overall, I thought this year’s team never really got a fair swing (and the overall performance reminded me so much of the ‘11-‘12 team). I saw some really promising glimpses (and um, not promising ones too). But heading into next season, I’ll err on the side of senior laden leadership and experience... And *clearly* at least 4 dudes who are pissed off watching other teams play on THEIR court in the postseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    godogs91, 2xDawg, seadawg and 2 others like this.
  18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    That was an awful year all around, health, circumstances, play and YET we still beat Villanova, Creighton, Seton Hall at the top of the conference...we had 3x the Q1 wins that lil xavier had...

Shimmy, huss587, seadawg and 2 others like this.
  19. HinkleMagic20

HinkleMagic20 Member

Money:
    $96
    I think Bolden is fine as a spot-up shooter to spread the court and kick out for open looks.

Honestly, this team needs more shooters, not less. Having him back will be nice.

As for David, he didn't look 100% back and you could tell his mobility wasn't what it once was--and maybe will get better the longer removed from ACL surgery.

That being said, I imagine between Nze and Coles, there won't be many minutes for him at the 4. Good team guy, who probably understands his limited role next year coming in.

BoyGeoff, Shimmy, huss587 and 3 others like this.
  20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,412
    I think the only way to do this is start all minutes at zero and everything is earned. It’s going to require incredible honesty and transparency with players because a lot more are going to be unhappy with their pt than happy.

I think basically only Nze, as you said, should expect to see the same minutes and that’s because he’s by far (imo) the best player. I also expect Harris to see similar to this year until he’s no longer our best scorer.

BoyGeoff, Shimmy, Tentozen and 2 others like this.