What Needs to Happen in '21-'22...

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,254
    I am betting that butler is pretty unique in having guys come back, let alone 4 seniors. The expectation should be top half of the big east and tourney birth. But who is set to be really strong in the BE next year? Obviously nova is always at the top but they do lose Gillespie and Samuels. Bouknight is a lottery pick and Creighton loses a lot. With our mix of experience and some proven youth (Harris might be the only lock but Coles and Wilmoth) showed flashes) should we expect to compete for BE title and finish top 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,311
    If we land an impact transfer and Scooby returns to form...I think finishing in the top 3 is not out of the question. We have plenty of depth (as long as the injury gods are done with us) plus a couple impact freshmen (real freshmen) plus you're adding Scooby and Coles back into the fold. The talent and the depth jump off the page at us. Fitting it all together is the key.

You have what you need for a run to the top-a strong 3 guard rotation, 2 very good wings and a strong 3 man big rotation. And that's not even counting the freshmen coming in plus the chance at a couple good transfer gets. The pieces are there no doubt.

Tentozen likes this.
  3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,411
    I think we could be playing like top 3 team by the end of the year but I don’t see happening from the start. I think it will take some time for the freshmen to adjust and to figure out how the pieces fit together. I also don’t know if we can be a top 3 team without an alpha scorer like kamar.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Well-Known Member

Money:
    $412
    I think Chuck will become an alpha scorer. He's not Kamar (yet) but he improved so much without an offseason and with such a tumultuous year. He has the it-factor that our previous alpha scorers have. His usage was higher than anyone on Creighton so it has already been his role. With his first real college offseason, a year to grow, and actual depth around him, I think he breaks out.

huss587 and seadawg like this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,616
    It's a testament to Chuck's work ethic for the amount shots he had to put up last summer to make the strides he did. Whether he becomes thee alpha scorer maybe an overreach. Kamar was a superior athlete IMO. Having multiple scoring options will serve BU better in the long run. Still it is a blessing to know that Harris is a player who can be relied on.

6. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,501
    Is there a limit to how many players they can redshirt in a season? Let's say hypothetically two freshman and we get two transfers. Can they redshirt all four?

7. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $972
    There have been utility infielders that shaped a nice little career batting 250. No shame there Willis!

willisbrown likes this.
  8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,691
    They could redshirt all four. In theory there's no limit, but practicality says you need seven to field a team.

There have been several incidences in recent years of schools starting a football program from scratch recruiting an entire class a season before the planned start and red shirting the whole class.

Shimmy and cornette33 like this.
  9. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,110
    I would be surprised if we don't land a transfer or two. I'm also highly confident LaVall had real conversations with all incoming and scheduled returning players before the decisions for the seniors to return was made.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgPoundMac, Shimmy and 2xDawg like this.
  10. HoosierDawg

HoosierDawg Member

Money:
    $76
    So I’m counting 11 “underclassmen” returning, plus the four seniors. With Tate likely missing the season rehabbing his ACL, that leaves 3 returning guards. I think that’s good for the 2 incoming freshmen guards as they should have a decent opportunity to get some PT. The front court will be loaded for a change, if Scooby and Jacoby are healthy, but still no depth in the post. I don’t see Hughes getting much PT, possibly a RS candidate. Should be a MUCH better season & I can’t wait to get back to Hinkle in November! With all the seniors coming back, I’ll be surprised if we see a transfer in, unless LJ can find a decent post man, and those are hard to find.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,311
    They're looking first for a scoring wing/guard (now that they know Nze is back). There will be most likely one added. A couple weeks ago I was pleading two transfers but with these developments I don't see the need unless they are just flat out better than what we have returning. Or unless they want to redshirt a couple dudes on top of Tater Tot being out. Hodges, Scoob and a little Bolden on the wings. But as we've seen there's no such guarantee from a kid coming back from an ACL (Scoob) so it's going to be a sure fire (taller) wing or a big guard IMO. Although no true center, plenty of depth up front.

LeeBU1984 and cornette33 like this.
  12. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,110
    Are we allowed to be practicing and doing film study as a team right now?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,411
    There are *typically* a certain number of hours that you can meet in the spring. It’s almost all skill development.

14. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $567
    Speaking of "skill development"...

Can anyone with a medical background chime in on this....

Is it possible that Myles Tate is able to get up shots this spring/summer?

After hearing the work that Chuck Harris put in this summer to become a great shooter, I'm wondering if Myles could do similar work to help him as a shooter even though he'll be recovering from an ACL this offseason.

Having a reliable shot would do wonders for his game

15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,411
    No medical background but from my experience witnessing acl rehabs...it depends. Is it just an acl dear or is it more? You can’t fix the acl until the rest is fixed so the recovery times stack.

Also, do we mean simply shooting the basketball or game like shots?

If it’s just an acl tear and we’re talking about causually shooting, he should be able to do that around mid July. Game like shots probably would start coming when he gets back to school.

16. Ross Hall

Ross Hall Member

Money:
    $117
    Hope Nze coming back doesn’t stunt mulloy’s growth.

TheDawgDub95 likes this.
  17. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,501
    I would say defensively maybe because he gives you nothing on offense. I think he has 10pts in 2 yrs. He is definitely not looking to score. He did provide some decent spurts on D.

18. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,670
    Our Scholarship Chart hasn't been updated in quite some time so I thought it might be useful to set out the current projected roster for the 2021-22 season, along with some information regarding the experience of those players:

5th Year Seniors (5) (Seasons played – games played – games started) (seasons of remaining eligibility)

Thompson (4-109-106) (1)

Nze (4-119-82) (1) [at Butler: 2-54-54]

David (4-84-2) (1)

Bolden (4-122-81) (1) [at Butler: 1-25-25]

Hodges (4-97-64) (1) [at Butler: 1-9-5]

4th Year Senior (1)

Golden (3-70-55) (2)

Junior (1)

Mulloy (2-34-0) (3)

Sophomores (5)

Harris (1-24-14) (4)

Tate (1-25-18) (4)

Coles (1-6-1) (4)

Wilmoth (1-24-0) (4)

Johnson (0-0-0) (4))

Freshmen (3)

Thomas (0-0-0) (4)

Taylor (0-0-0) (4)

Hughes (0-0-0) (4)

One thing that is obvious is the insane amount of experience on the roster. Four players (AT, Nze, Bolden, and Hodges) have played in 97 or more games, although 3 of those include games at other schools. (I think the Butler record is Nored with 143 games played.) Players on the roster already have started a total of 423 games. Experience is no substitute for talent, but, other things being equal, it's certainly a benefit. Some other teams will have players playing for their fifth year as we do, but, as has been noted, it seems that's likely to be a fairly small number. Even if many of our most talented players are younger, it's a luxury to have a stable of experienced players to reinforce and support the young talent.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    znelson15 likes this.
  19. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $953
    With all the depth we have - particularly all the Wing athletes - I think we should pressure more full court and try to play at a much faster pace next year.

Watching Hodges, Scoob, Thomas, Harris, and others fly in the open court would be fun to watch and probably very successful. Mike Anderson would be ideal coach for this team.

If we play at #326 Adjusted Tempo (KenPom) again next year, it would be a criminal misuse of this roster.

Is that what's gonna happen? Probably.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,411
    Faster isn’t better; better is better.

2xDawg likes this.