What's The Realistic Timeline Here?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Nov 22, 2021.

1. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $727
    This clearly isn't working.

It's year 5 of the LaVall era, and I don't think the outlook has ever been as bleak as it is now.

Recruiting is average at best, and certainly NOT trending in the right direction.
    Player development looks more and more like a weakness.
    Game planning is atrocious, and that's putting it nicely.

The question is, does Barry have the sack to pull the plug after this season? Or will this drag on the next few year since LaVall is a "Butler Guy" and cheap to hold on to (this one is important, because clearly we have no interest in paying up like an elite program).

My guess? LaVall gets this season and next.

2. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,056
    Maybe with BC at the helm he gets another year, but to me this has always been the year. If what we have seen the last two games is what we see all season, then it should happen right after the Big East tournament. But there's a lot of games left and I am willing to accept (and be happy about) that things can drastically improve.

Shane Davis likes this.
  3. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $954
    I think (although don’t agree with) he gets another season. Many are ignoring last year’s performance due to injuries and Covid. In BC’s eyes, every program has a bad year or 2. And if you ignore last year, this is the first truly bad bad hear he’s had. I can see him giving LJ one more shot and try out the transfer market.

I for the other hand can’t stand to watch these offensive and defensive sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerProf likes this.
  4. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,428
    End of this year would be a fine year to end it.

We have no recruits coming in to really worry about leaving

I was a Baldwin fan never a lavall fan.

He never has his teams prepared and talent has gotten worst under him as well, I get player development has alot to do with assistants but it starts at the top.

Sometimes I feel like lavall wants to be a good guy and good face and good friend rather than be a coach and get after these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,281
    Agreed. It's the hardest part of coaching, look at Sampson tonight after letting Bolden get a couple of hoops and his team was firing on all cylinders. Calls a quick timeout and literally got into all his players and looked like he was really chewing them out. This is like 8 minutes on the game and whopping the crap out of us. Imagine that. Not letting his team get away with anything. They respect him and take their a$$ chewing and move on and play hard

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Member

Money:
    $148
    You can't hype up the seniors returning and having all of this game experience to play this poorly. Lavall has his guys and this is what the team looks like. If this team doesn't get dramatically better then I can't see Lavall staying. Lavall staying would be an indictment on Collier if anything. After all, we aren't the only people that can't stand to watch this team play. Imagine what the big $ boosters are thinking. Does anyone want to be associated with this team?

bmradio99 likes this.
  7. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $793
    Well, I doubt if I’m the only one who will drop their season tickets after this season. That might influence Barry. Every bit of progress made in the last 15 years will be gone.

ButlerProf likes this.
  8. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $757
    I am just so worried butler is slipping into DePaul territory. I will be honest, I don’t want to hear any names that have a Butler history for head coaches. If and I think when they go away from Lavall they need to go away from the “family” and get new blood in. There are plenty of young coaches that are up and coming that Butler could get I would imagine. Yes, they may leave in 4-5 years for a better paying job. Best thing about that happening though, it means we are winning. I would love to have that problem again.

bmradio99, willisbrown and mwall787 like this.
  9. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,428
    This is the kind of coach I love and want and is also why Sampson has Houston being a top twenty and as long as he is there they will be a top twenty program.

You can’t be these kids friends, mentor yes , father figure yeas but mentors and father figures get on your ass when you aren’t up to par.

The Montana grizzlies have a coach I love, Travis decuire. Was an assistant under Mike Montgomery when he was at cal. Dude is so firey I love it.

He will one hundred percent get picked up by a wac or smaller pac-10 school

I truly go to games just to watch how intense he is as a coach and the players go nuts for it

I dislike Mick Cronin as much as anyone but his intensity has gotten him to where he is

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg and estar20dawg like this.
  10. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,969
    Is there any possibility that Barry can be replaced?

ButlerProf likes this.
  11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,100
    Mick is actually a super, super nice guy off the court.

pjohnsto2003 and BoyGeoff like this.
  12. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $954
    I can’t think of a single coach in the big east who is “nicer” on the court than LJ. I don’t mean that in a good way. Every coach I can think of gets after the ref and their players when they make mistakes or aren’t playing hard. LJ just stands there like an idiot looks at his assistants and talks through his hand to them. FFS we are averaging 18 turnovers the last 3 games and I witnessed 6 air balls before I turned off the game today and I never once saw LJ get fired up about his team’s play. Not a huge Roy Williams fan but I remember he would take his entire lineup out and put out bench players to send a message and really let them have it.

13. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,270
    Ed Cooley took out his team and put in the walkons and still beat Butler in Hinkle. That was the infamous Kris Dunn banked in 3 game. Think it was 2015.

bwesson15, bmradio99 and Mark Shelvin like this.
  14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,100
    In the interest of trying to be fair, Lavall pulled Harris basically immediately in the second half and early in the first after he was getting lit up. Similarly for Groce in the first after his guy hit 3 threes.

I don’t think you need to yell to coach. I do think getting after the refs more would likely help, but I have no complaints with how he handles his players. He treats them like adults.

Shane Davis, ButlerProf and schoops like this.
  15. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,557
    For what it's worth, Brad Stevens wasn't exactly a fiery, in-your-face coach but he was pretty good one, IMO.

16. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Member

Money:
    $63
    My gut wants to disagree with you because it isn't the "Butler Way", but when I think about it, Holtmann wasn't technically a Butler guy. Oddly enough we can thank Brandon Miller for him. Neither was Stevens. Both guys exhibit the "Butler Way" by their approaches to leadership and how to play the game of basketball. So if you're looking for a new head coach, just find someone who fits Butler. Who cares where he's from?

bmradio99 and BulldogsFTW like this.
  17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,437
    The good players have graduated (Kamar, McD).

The good recruits have transferred or left (JaKobe, Tucker, Battle, Scooby).

The average recruits & transfers have stayed (Bolden, Golden).

The future recruits are average at best (Turnbull).

I love that Joel & LaVall helped put BU on the map. But this simply isn't working. If we get shredded during conference play, there is no reason to extend this misery.

2xDawg, willisbrown and Clevedog like this.