When Has Hinkle Been At Its Best?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Jun 9, 2021.

1. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $632
    Good Evening, BU Hoops Board

It's been a minute. Mom grounded me from the family desktop computer, and I finally earned my privileges back. Hope that things have been okay without me.

Anyways, let's discuss another BU Hoops Off-Season Question.

What is the best atmosphere you've experienced at Hinkle Fieldhouse?

I'm relatively new to Hinkle, having first started attending games in the mid 2000's. I'd have to go with the Gonzaga game - and I don't really think it's close. Seemed like the place was at capacity an hour before the game, and everyone stood for about half the game. What other games would you throw on the list?

For some of the old-timers on the board, I'm curious how some of the old State Finals games compare with the atmosphere/noise at Butler home games.

Graves4 and seadawg like this.
  2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,343
    1 - Gonzaga
    2 - OSU (Howard freshman year)
    3 - Villanova (as a #1)
    4 - Villanova (Kamar buzzer beater)
    5 - UWM (Avery Sheets buzzer beater)

This is a really hard one, but all good games.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

CMG, Shimmy, ButlerProf and 5 others like this.
  3. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,240
    Not exactly on topic but Hinkle never looked better on the national stage than it did during the ‘21 NCAA tournament. CBS did a great job showing it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

jarik, Shimmy, ButlerNut and 6 others like this.
  4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,276
    The old barn has currently never looked better. Hinkle's final game was jammed with 15,000+ fans as BU fell to ND and may have been my most memorable, but there are no wrong answers. Butler fans are indeed fortunate...while HS fans use to be.

Staxawax and ButlerProf like this.
  5. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $723
    I was in the building for your top 4, and they are all the ones that came to my mind when I read the question.

ButlerProf and UDDawg like this.
  6. Robinzine Crying

Robinzine Crying Well-Known Member

Money:
    $551
    Was in the stands as a high school freshman in 1976 when our team played in the semi-state. Capacity was around 15k then, almost 6,000 more than today. Down five points with 48 seconds to go in the afternoon and we came back to win by three. That was loud. Then in the evening game, when it was clear we were going to win and go to the final four at MSA, it was even louder.

Schulzy, BUcheer, #60 and 3 others like this.
  7. seadawg

Money:
    $9,276
    Attending multiple semi-state games back in the day, it would be hard to match the environment of a packed house and the passion displayed by thousands of screaming teenagers. Cheer blocks were loud long before teams even took the floor. Even to a neutral observer the atmosphere of team colors, bazooka bubblegum and popcorn is hard to beat.

jarik, #60, NCJon and 1 other person like this.
  8. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,022
    Was in the student section (and, subsequently, on the floor) for 2003 UWM / Sheets buzzer beater. Best in-person for sure. I think that was the first true sellout at Hinkle in many years preceding that, right? Had to be. Watching the Zags/Rose Jones game from a bar though...you could feel it through the TV.

9. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $390
    Excellent list!! Won’t argue about rankings.
    As for the high school state tourney, I attended the OT Ben Davis v Washington boys bb game; last high school tourney game scheduled for Hinkle. Ben Davis won on a buzzer beater. It was an awesome experience. I snagged a court side seat under the south basket. It was around 1994 or 95; didn’t look it up.

I’ll add the first ever IHSAA girls basketball state tournament finals in 1976, I was a Butler frosh

10. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,902
  11. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Well-Known Member

Money:
    $413
    The 17-18 game against Xavier (one of my most hated teams ever) had a super raucous atmosphere. Couple steals, then McDermott hitting the shot to send it to OT when X had it in the bag. Butler then losing it was excruciating.

12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,632
    Hard to argue with this list at all.

Honorable Mention: The clock malfunction/water fountain game against X. :D

BUcheer, Shimmy, pjohnsto2003 and 5 others like this.
  13. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,704
    Is that when you retired?

14. seadawg

Money:
    $9,276
    That was an afternoon regional game between arch rivals and a battle between the top 2 teams in the state. Ahmad Bellamy hit a deep 3 point dagger at the final horn to crush the hearts of Washington fans. BD went on to the take state. It also marked the end of Washington HS's once proud athletic programs until it was reopened years later.

ButlerProf likes this.
  15. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,715
    November 27, 1993 - Butler 75, 11 IU - 71

When your Butler years coincided with Rolf Van Rijn, there's slim pickings, but this was the best atmosphere that I got to personally experience. I moved down here in 2000, so I missed most of the more recent highlights. I did catch the 2010 Siena game before returning to Indy for the Final Four and that's the first time, I thought maybe that team was special.

CMG likes this.
  16. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $390
    Terrific recap, thanks! I distinctly remember the gravity of thinking that was the epic end of Washington HS’s boys basketball history. Were you there also? It was awesome.

17. seadawg

Money:
    $9,276
    As a longtime west-sider, I sure was. As side note, Bellamy was not a starter either. The game was not a total sellout. Jack Owens longtime Purdue assistant and current head coach at Miami of Ohio played guard for the Continentals.

ButlerProf likes this.
  18. BU Fan in Illinois

BU Fan in Illinois Active Member

Money:
    $344
    Being able to call the 2nd half of Darrin Fitzgerald's 54 point outburst against Detroit on February 9, 1987 on WAJC.

WAJC77, BUcheer, ButlerProf and 2 others like this.
  19. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,344
    The day we all graduated. Today's kids will never understand the struggle of sweating in the Hinkle heat, plastic box fans all over the place just waiting to move your tassle.

dawgs2014 and 2xDawg like this.
  20. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,902