When Has Hinkle Been At Its Best?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Jun 9, 2021.

1. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,420
    The Drake game was a good one, too. I just wanted to mention wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $686
    This goes back a few years when we just started getting good. Loved Beating ND when Butler started to get decent. 5 straight and all of the sudden ND dropped us like a rock.

ButlerProf and godogs91 like this.
  3. 2xDawg

2xDawg Member VIP Member

Money:
    $63
    BU vs ND February 28 1985. Double overtime win, 70-69. Respectable 19 win BU team that year. That was a definite highlight in my years there with the caveat that I didn’t appreciate basketball as much as I should have then.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf likes this.
  4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,369
    And who can forget the epic chant "Kempton Sucks" after Tim Kempton bricked a 4 foot bank shot that nearly broke the glass backboard? Classic Dawg Pound!

5. jarik

jarik Active Member

Money:
    $218
    This is one from the archives, but the December 22, 1965 victory against Michigan will always be my choice. Ed Schilling scored 26 as he and Larry Shade outplayed Cazzie Russell and Bill Buntin. The final was 79-64. The crowd was engaged from the beginning, then just got louder as the Bulldogs maintained control. Our junior high team was there that night. That was the first college game I ever attended.

6. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,502
    Nothing better than watching UM lose...

jarik likes this.
  7. seadawg

Money:
    $9,369
    Although my Dad was a PU grad, he had season tix that year. 14 home games for $6.00. Jim Petty actually defended Cazzie while Shade picked his pocket 3 times that night. Johnny Oar told Cazzie to take a seat. Big Chill ruled that night. Oliver Darden was on that Michigan team too. I'd add that Michigan had suffered their first loss to St John the night before. The hangover was evident.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  8. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,502
    I don't think Buntin played in that game - I believe he graduated in 1965 - Oliver Darden was on that team however. Buntin died at the age of 26.

BigHoss likes this.
  9. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,358
    Us old folks shouldn’t forget Hinkle’s last game- Notre Dame 121 Butler 114. 1970. If someone could tell me how to post a pdf I have the article from the Butler Collegian.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $727
    Awesome posts. Would love to read up more on these particular games - and wish there was more video out there available from games in this time frame!

11. seadawg

Money:
    $9,369
    As I remember Austin Carr led ND with 45. Collis Jones had a big game too. Shep had 39 or 40. It was quite a shootout and the old barn was packed to the rafters with stand room only. Tony got a very long standing ovation.

12. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,974
    I was there.:)

13. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,852
    Here's an Indy Star article from 2015 in which it lists what it thinks were the "most important" games at Hinkle to that point: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...ers-best-games-at-hinkle-fieldhouse/23351535/ Of course, there have been quite a few great ones since then.

Its list, in chronological order:

(December 13, 1928). Butler 35, Pittsburgh 33. Started Butler toward its mythical national championship that year. Pitt, with a 27-game winning streak, was considered the defending national champion.

(December 22, 1965). Butler 79, Michigan 64. Michigan, led by future NBA-no. 1 pick Cazzie Russell, was ranked no. 3. Ed Schilling led Butler with 26 points, 13 rebounds.

(February 23, 1970). Notre Dame 121, Butler 114. Tony Hinkle's final game. An estimated 17,000 crammed into Hinkle. Notre Dame was led by Austin Carr (50 points) and Collis Jones (40). Billy Shepherd led Butler with 38.

(November 27, 1993). Butler 75, Indiana 71. IU was ranked no. 11 at the time.

(March 1, 2003). Butler 76, UW-Milwaukee 74. Avery Sheets' 3-point buzzer-beater gave Butler its fourth straight Horizon League regular-season title.

(January 19, 2013). Butler 64, Gonzaga 63. Rosey.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    jarik, BigHoss, Shimmy and 2 others like this.
  14. seadawg

Money:
    $9,369
    A couple years earlier BU hammered a pretty good Purdue team 76-59 with Mount, Blaylock, and Gilliam. A fight ended the game just prior to the final buzzer. BU won the fight too...LOL

jarik, ButlerProf and Staxawax like this.
  15. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,974
    shoeevv, #60, seadawg and 1 other person like this.
  16. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $335
    1991-1992 Season - Tim Bowen hits a buzzer beater to beat UNC Charlotte, ranked #17. This might have been the first Butler highlight on Sports Center (?).

#60, BURph92 and ButlerProf like this.
  17. jarik

jarik Active Member

Money:
    $218
    My mistake. You're right about Buntin. I'd like to think it wouldn't have mattered if he had been there. I've read that the Bulldogs were 31-53 on FGs that night.

I do remember that Cazzie hit an outside shot at the start of the second half and went back downcourt pumping his fist. His enthusiasm was short-lived, though.

18. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,316
    Yep, I was at that game as a student. Tim did a backflip after his game winner if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg likes this.
  19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,347
    I admit this is going to sound corny, and I was lucky enough to attend a lot of the games on this list from 2000 onward and agree with all of them. But, to me, the most special Hinkle has ever felt is when I got to play on that incredible court during Butler basketball camp every summer. My parents even paid for me to go for two weeks in a row the last year I was eligible, which I think was the summer after 7th grade.

ButlerNut, jarik, shoeevv and 2 others like this.
  20. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,443
    Have never been but it’s the only college venue I want to see!!!

Most likely will happen once the kiddo and if their is a second kiddo are in high school.

So I will see you all in 12-13 years

Until then

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut, dawgs2014 and 2xDawg like this.