When Has Hinkle Been At Its Best?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Jun 9, 2021.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,704
    Awww come on. Winter 2022… if I’m living in SLC we can fly in to Indy. I’ll buy some tix - my treat.

I have only been once for a game, but I’m looking forward to going back.

ButlerNut and ButlerProf like this.
  2. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,902
    My mistake. It was the 1956 state tourney - a sectional matchup played Feb. 25, 1956. It's the first game I can remember at Butler Fieldhouse. The atmosphere was electric.

https://images.indianahistory.org/digital/collection/dc016/id/31

jarik likes this.
  3. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,716
    And Hinkle is the best for kids. My kids still talk about the time they got to shoot hoops on the "Butler floor" Memories for life...they also got to meet Matt Howard who was back visiting at the time.

ButlerNut and seadawg like this.
  4. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,704
    Haha that one didn’t work with me.

I was in Indy for XMas when I was maybe 8-10 years old and my uncle took me over to Hinkle. We went in and I was like, “I don’t get it… it’s just a gym for basketball”. I didn’t understand the significance. I wasn’t interested at all. This must have been the late 90s. Who knew I’d become such a fan.

Also I don’t have any kids haha… so no one to give the Hinkle experience to.

2xDawg likes this.
  5. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,343
    But it sounds like you have a significant other/fiancée. You lay the groundwork now, and let it manifest into something truly special when you have children.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,716
    As someone who graduated in 97, my apologies. The atmosphere was miserable. Used to roll out of bed at 11:45 and make front row Dawg pound for a noon tip. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,847
    He talks about a fiancé but really he’s just misspelling finance.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  8. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,704
    Girlfriend. Likely soon to be fiancé. She watches the Butler games with me Bc she knows I like them, but she really hates basketball. Doesn’t really care about Butler.

She did like to call Tucker “pretty boy” Bc she felt he was more interested in looking good than playing well. Not sure I can argue that one ;)

She was a softball player at UPenn, so not a bad athlete herself.

ButlerProf likes this.
  9. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,445
    I don't think I would argue with her take either.

We did have one poster, who I don't think is on here any more who defiantly would. His tell, even when his ID would change due to his frequent personal attacks on people, was that he always used defiantly instead of definitely. I don't know why, but I always got the impression that it was intentional

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $390
    Ha! As a long time educator I can tell you one of the most misspelled/misused words is defiantly instead of definitely….in particular since the word processing era began; spellcheck won’t flag ‘defiantly’ as used improperly in context.

NCJon, UDDawg and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  11. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,318
    Long story and I will spare you the details. But I had a colleague 20ish years ago that could not spell to save their life. They relied on spellcheck and ALWAYS hit accept when a suggestion popped up.

So……They had to write an apology letter to someone at ISC. They copied several “higher ups” at NASCAR, ISC, sponsors, etc.

The letter started off….” I apologize for the inconvenience I caused you….” Except they misspelled “inconvenience.”

Spellcheck made a suggestion and they accepted it. The apology was sent and said…..”I apologize for the incontinence I caused you…”.

Needless to say we all got a good laugh out of that.

DawgsMD, #60, ButlerProf and 4 others like this.
  12. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,992
    As a former journalist who had his a** saved from mortifying mistakes more than once by brilliant copy editors, I say "there, but for the grace of God, go I."

Still though, I am going to be laughing at that anecdote for weeks.

DawgsMD, ButlerProf and knobcreekfan like this.
  13. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $855
    Hinkle is at its best when its at full capacity!!!!!

14. m4795

m4795 New Member

Money:
    $51
    Hands down the best atmosphere I've seen was the clock game. There was a buzz that just erupted at the end.

15. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,632
    There was an OT game against Marquette in January 2020 that I remember was pretty great. Kamar and Markus Howard were going back and forth all game. Dawgs won in OT after Marquette hit a buzzer beater at the end of regulation. I remember that being one of the funner games I remember watching in Hinkle.

I also think that was also the game they introduced Blue IV.

BURph92, GoodDawgs and pjohnsto2003 like this.
  16. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,854
    So if you live in SLC, when you come back to Hinkle, will you bring me a Crown burger?

17. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $16,704
    What’s a Crown burger?

18. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,210
    That was a weird game and I remember it well. Marquette led most of the way & hit like 16 threes. Kamar was unstoppable all night. Marquette inexplicably fouled us late in regulation with the game tied because they thought they were behind. I remember being so upset that we didn’t foul them up 3 with a few seconds remaining in the game instead allowing them to send it to OT with a long 3. Then Kamar continued his magic in OT for a Dawgs win.

BoyGeoff, ConnersvilleBulldog and CMG like this.
  19. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,445
    Kamar had some all-timers. This game was one of them. I think we were missing AT.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,087
    Yes. I almost mentioned this game when the thread first started. We were coming off a losing streak and we needed that game bad. The fans in Hinkle knew it too. We got down double digits in the first half and there was an edge to the crowd the whole night. It was a great environment.