Who are the next 3 priorities?

Discussion in '2020 Recruiting Profiles' started by cornette33, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $367
    He is not right. We do not need to put players in the NBA. It would be nice, but it is not a necessity.

Also, there is no way in hell we are going to have 5 guys playing in the NBA at the same time anytime soon or maybe ever. There are only, something like, 360 players in the NBA and over 100 are international players with no college experience. There are not that many spots available, and plenty of good (especially in college) players don't make it in the NBA.

The delusion some of you have regarding our program is incredible. I don't want to spoil it for some of you, but we are not ever going to start reeling in 5 star recruits every year and pumping out NBA players. Outside of 10-15 schools, that is the norm for just about everyone. Why you think our tiny-ass school with a bunch of broke-ass donors is going to all of a sudden turn into Duke, is something I will never figure out.

2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,367
    Back to back championship runs and 2 NBA players yielded little in terms of NBA caliber players since then. Granted BU went through the coaching changes which greatly changed the equation. Winning games is just as important as producing NBA players. Obviously you need good players to win, but it's not necessarily NBA quality type players. NBA players seem to be a by-product of winning rather than the other way around? Build up the program and they will come slowly but surely.

DawgPoundMac and Alcohol101 like this.
  3. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $500
    Endowment is really low at Butler. Still don't know how all private universities work and etc. But I still don't know how they are rapidly building new academic and residential buildings with such a low endowment. Butler has been reaching into the pockets of the same old donors for years and they are not getting as many new donors as expected. Fortunately, they have been lucky enough to get families from outside the alumni network to donate to the school. But with the recession coming up, Private universities with such a low endowment are just going to be treading through the years.

Athletic wise I think they are doing all the right things... They are remodeling the practice courts, getting A/C. putting Millions into Hinkle. They can't afford a standalone practice facility unless Brad Stevens wants to open up his checkbook or some outside donor that just likes Butler Athletics. They are making improvements but these improvements are not enough to catch up to other Big East and Power 5 programs.

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,064
    And never will catch up with the Power 5 conferences which are huge predominantly state schools.

5. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $500
    Until Gordon Hayward has a boy, we will never get a 5 star recruit ;)

6. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,081
    I’m saying 5 in history...not my fault BU couldn’t put anybody in the NBA prior to 2010. Two in 10 years....not good for a high major program.

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,064
    Actually Billy Shepard played in the ABA which was as good as the NBA and Jeff Blue was with the Celtics until he tore up a knee. Kelan Martin would be in the NBA if he dunked a lot.

8. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,081
    Ah, yes, I’m sure they were ballers over half a century ago....

9. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $367
    Fair point, that is clearly much different.

However, we have only been a high major program for 6 years. Why do you think we would have more NBA players than 2? How would we have recruited these players to the Horizon League?

During our 6 year term in the Big East, we have had 3 different head coaches, no practice facility, and no air conditioning. You think we should have been recruiting NBA players during this time?

NCJon, #60 and SpartanDawgs like this.
  10. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,370
    Certainly getting a few more players in the NBA would be a good thing, but I don't think only having one or two former players actively playing in the league is an indictment, either.

High major schools that only have one or two players on NBA rosters according to that CBS alumni tracker*:

Alabama (2)
    Arizona State (2)
    Auburn (1)
    Butler (2)
    Clemson (1)
    Illinois (1)
    Iowa (0)
    Minnesota (1)
    Mississippi (1)
    Mississippi State (2)
    Nebraska (1)
    Northwestern (1)
    Notre Dame (2)
    Missouri (1)
    Oklahoma State (2)
    Oregon State (2)
    Penn State (2)
    Pittsburgh (2)
    Providence (1)
    Rutgers (0)
    Seton Hall (2)
    St. John's (2)
    South Carolina (2)
    TCU (0)
    Texas Tech (2)
    Utah (2)
    Virginia Tech (2)
    West Virginia (2)
    Wisconsin (2)

The list gets exponentially larger if you go to just three players. Some of these are not great programs and ones that Butler aspires to be better than and is better than. But they are all high majors with only a few active players on NBA rosters.

*I also recognize the list may not be 100 percent accurate. It appears CBS has updated schools for the recently drafted, but may not have purged all of the players who are not returning to the NBA this season (i.e. Shelvin).

11. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,393
    It seems like based on their offers right now, they want another PG (preferably a scorer), a wing, and a PF.

12. jal8908

jal8908 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,157
    Yep, feels like a scoring PG/CG that fits next to Harris, a long/athletic wing that can shoot, and a versatile/facilitating 4 who you could run the offense through at times

13. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,892
    Jonathan Aku is a name to watch as far as our wants are concerned..."why, I've never heard of him, are we involved?"

No. But he's a big, same as Coles, is an A&M kinda lean right now (along with TT and Houston) and he's expected to decide soon. If he swings A&M...we're sitting even prettier with Coles, and Coles is a big time want and need.

14. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,393
    Agree completely.

15. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $500

New Commit Myles Tate!

Update 2020 Mins:

AT (30mins), Chuck Harris (10mins)
    Battle (22) Myles Tate (12mins) Hastings (6mins)
    David (20mins) (Hastings (10mins) Free 10 mins
    Tucker hopefully (25 mins) Free 15 mins
    Nze Golden Mulloy all take 40 mins somehow

2 open (Team Needs Forwards & Wings)

Prospects (That we know of):
    Toneari Lane
    Carlos Scooby Johnson
    Jakobe Coles
    Eugene Brown
    Santiago Vescovi
    Matt Cross
    Chibuzo Agbo

I think any of these guys would be homeruns... could potentially get two of them but they may leave a scholly open or if they know tucker is gone after this season, they could get two... Either way I can see them being very selective on the last scholly....

Vescovi is probably out now but everyone else is still in play...

Out of the park home runs would Scooby, Brown, or even Matt Cross... they should be the priorities now

cornette33 likes this.
  16. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,033
    Who now are the top 2 targets? Eugene,Scooby and Coles?

1. Eugene
    2. Who does the staff want more?

17. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,892
    Coles and Brown.

cornette33 likes this.
  18. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $500
    Probably the two favorites for sure... Still think they can get Scooby tho!

cornette33 likes this.
  19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,086
    Come on Vall, ride this momentum and go lock up Eugene Brown!

20. willisbrown

Money:
    $4,892
    Oh sure...they'll stay involved but my senses are screaming he's an MSU lean with Mizzou now very much in play. We haven't really been connected to him for awhile.

There's always been some smoke with Brown, there is big time smoke with Coles. Scooby mostly quiet. I believe the staff stays involved on Scooby, but they turn their full might on Brown and Coles.

SpartanDawgs and cornette33 like this.