Who do you like in March?

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by MilkSteak, Mar 4, 2016.

1. kac12568

kac12568 Active Member

Money:
    $3,573
    I wonder what the Xavier boards look like, after getting knocked out of the tournament in the same round as Butler........

2. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,568
    Not happy they lost, but I'm not crying by any means. Tough way to lose, but can't let teams with shooters hang around.

3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,755
    I mean... For those ripping on Holtmann or Dunham/Jones, they fought to the end and had a one-possession game with #1 with :30 to go.

X, with all of those talented players, lost to a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten team when they were ranked in the Top 10 all year. That's something to get pissed about...

4. Barchetta6

Barchetta6 Member

Money:
    $13
    Did Mack attack nearest water cooler?

5. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $526
    Not to bring up "what could have beens" but imagine if Bluitt, Smith- Rivera and/or Cody Zeller had opted for Butler. How much greater would their college NCAA success have been with the Dogs and not their chosen schools. Add Zeller to the Smith/ Rotnei Clark team and do we beat Marquette and who knows how far we go as that bracket played out? Plus he gets to play power forward, his NBA position and not center which was wasted experience. Since the glory years, we have gone down in close round of 32 games and just one more player would have put is over. I believe.
    I probably should not put Bluitt in that group because next year looks to be a better one for X than us, but who knows? We have been so close with the teams we have had, but one more legitimate player could have really put us over the top.
    That's what having eight months until b-ball starts again will do to the mind. At least mine. Hard as it is to say, unless Villanova makes the Final Four, it would have been better for the league, and us ultimately if X had won.

6. wazthree

wazthree Active Member

Money:
    $2,860
    I was cheering for Xavier to win. The bright side is maybe some of their obnoxious fans with gain some humility.

7. teamwork12

teamwork12 Member

Money:
    $12
    What a shame to watch JPM crying. Lol

8. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    Odd. Usually you only see that from seniors.

9. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $7,755
    Their PG was crying. Sumner.

Also, X's performance in the tourney is completey irrelevant to Butler. The whole "how other conference teams do has an effect on you" is an ESPN-created BS myth bc they need something for their "experts" to talk about.

10. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $590
    A poor performance by Xavier does reflect poorly on a team like Butler which got destroyed by them twice. Overall it hurts the whole conference because it reasserts the notion that the Big East is not a strong conference. I know that's not true, but perception is everything.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    You are both mostly correct. It's basically nonsense (tiny sample size and no control for seed adjusted expectation), but at the same time the BE does need to do something to get more respect and people believe the dumb narrative. It, however, doesn't reflect on Butler directly at all. No one but X & Butler fans remember that Butler lost to them twice.

That said, the ACC basically owned everyone this year in this conference record game. The BE didn't do any worse than the Big 12, SEC, or Pac-12.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  12. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $7,755
    There are about 100 ppl on the entire planet that will ever think: "X lost to a crap team and was overrated but they destroyed Butler so Butler must not be very good".

Actually that number might be closer to 5.

SEC has 1 (should be zero) and Pac-12 will have 1 or 0. You need perspective. No coach is going to use the above to negatively recruit against Butler.

It's much easier to sway a recruit that the Big East isn't as good as [xx] league because there are, outside or Nova, no "name" teams.

13. bulldogs51

bulldogs51 Active Member

Money:
    $170
    Doesn't the league split money from each game played by their teams in the tourney? More wins= more games=more money.

Sent from my NX785QC8G using Tapatalk

14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,788
    I think the SEC had three teams in which does not reflect well on that conference.

15. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,663
    Yeah. Something like $1.7 million to the conference for each win.

To me, it's money well wasted to see X lose like that. I will cheer for Nova to carry the Big East torch but never X. I hope X loses every game that it plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $508
    Tough loss for Xavier nation.

Hate that I have to turn to next year. Been a great season but honestly not much to show for it.

Sorry to let the big east down y'all. Really thought we could've done something specia this year. My heart breaks for our seniors. When Farr came in we missed the nit he led the team a top 5 ranking for most of the year.

Kinda looking forward for a break in sports til football. It's always odd when you let a group of 18-22 year olds dictate your emotions for 4 months a year.

17. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,794

Yeah because the Bengals never self destruct at the end of big games.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  18. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $508
    I'm an ND football fan more than anything...not that it makes life any easier at all.

19. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,572
    Xavier already kicks our ass on the recruiting trail and on the court. No need to give them a s16 to help them anymore. Was a huge Wiscy fan last night.

I think the BE did okay 4-1 after the first round only bested by the ACC. It all comes down to matchups.

Imo it hurts the most WHO they lost to. The BE could have had 2 teams in the S16 which would have matched the B16. Instead, we are left with one and the B16 can claim 3 teams even with their best team losing early.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  20. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,568
    It's been a strange tourney. ACC can't lose and almost everyone else couldn't win. Going to need another great year and then some more wins in the tourney to wipe the damn ACC smugness off the faces of the folks around here in NC! (Carolina fans are the worst bad winners that you'll ever see! Virgina is the only school in the ACC that seemed gracious in their win, but were full of themselves before the game.)

Hope yall win every game but 4 next year. 2 in the season to us, one in the BE tourney championship and to us in the NC game. (Might be a little stretch of the imagination there, but I hope yall only lose them all by 20+ each time!) OH wait, I hate yall a hope you lose every game you play by 20+ next year!:p