Who do you want for 2021?

Discussion in '2021 Recruiting Profiles' started by I Am Butler, Jan 9, 2020.

1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,308
    we offered Jaxson Hayes first

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    He reminds me of Hayes when Hayes was offered by Butler.

3. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,445
    It's probably just me, but I haven't picked up any Hayes vibes from what I've seen. He seems much more skilled, offensively, and much less rim runner/rim protector. I think we still need to look for that more dominant inside presence to complement our pieces.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    Dig up video from when Hayes was in high school.

5. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,384
    Seems like there is a split decision amongst us fans on what to do with the last two scholarships.

A shooter should be the number one priority, ideally Goode. I’d willingly settle for Barnhizer or somebody else on the circuit that is a Top 150 kid. Spend the other on a scoring grad transfer guard. I’m not sure I love the idea of Tuck being the first option. Nabbing somebody like Pipkins is exactly what this team needs next season.

willisbrown likes this.
  6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,902
    100% agree. Nab a shooter, a longer one preferably. Then hold the other for a GT which there always are aplenty. You just have to, like, go after them and stuff.

7. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,087
    What are you talking about? 2021 or next year? Tucker will be gone when the 2021 class hits campus. Next year’s roster is full (as of now).

With two early commits, it doesn’t appear we’ll have the usual May/June freak out about recruiting and how the program is doomed for eternity. Sad. It’s my favorite part of the off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

butlerdude05 and DawgsMD like this.
  8. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,013
    2021 Priority 1: Jeremiah Robinson Earle is the prototype. Get as close to that as you can. Starting with 6’9” 235 and skilled at every level. That size and athleticism would have us not taking a back seat to anyone. The a shooter. Why settle when recruiting is done next year unless somebody leaves. If so we need a shooter bad next year. Still need that difference maker big.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,902
    You also have to think of defections. There will be some. Always is. So even if you, say sign both Joplin and Barnhizer, you'll most likely have a space for a transfer (and with the transfer rules most likely changing, always smart to have a spot). But that's only if you are willing to use it.

10. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $2,087
    You and you alone have created this narrative that Butler didn’t go after grad transfers last spring. And which one exactly would’ve been such a difference maker?

11. xufan02

xufan02 Active Member

Money:
    $149
    I think Willis is right here. With the NCAA likely approving first time transfers immediate eligibility most rosters will not hit the 13 spot limit. You are likely to see coaches land around 10-11 players each year.

Also coaches are going to take less grad transfers because kids will not have to sit. So you have to evaluate is say three years with one guy outweigh one year with a grad transfer. There will real be consequences if coaches heavily over recruit now.

12. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,902
    They sniffed, but they went all in on Smits (fail) and Flagler (couldn't have played this season). Butler didn't have much ties to the plethora of grad transfer guards out there which would have vastly helped this team (we see how slim the guard depth is). It just is, looking back, I believe LaVall was as high as I am on Battle and believed he could be the 3rd guard threat.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  13. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $2,087
    Except you have no clue if we sniffed or just got rejected.

We’ve seen how the lack of Smits has hurt our depth inside in some games. So regardless of his health, it seems to have been the right decision. I’d like more guard depth too but it’s not like the staff made some terrible decision. I think we all thought battle would be contributing more than notta.

14. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,013
    Whether we were actively recruiting another guard or not, we did not get one. So it was either a failure by design or by execution.
    There was talk on this board around that and pocketing the scholly for later. I was on the record to go hard for a grad transfer guard “just in case”. Willis was there as well. Turns out we could have used another guard this year.
    As far as expectations for Battle. I have no idea why anyone would expect any freshman other than the world class 5 stars to contribute immediately. It is unrealistic. In the Big East this year Justin Moore at Nova is the only impact guard on the full season.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  15. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,715
    In case a spot opens up for next year, this is who I want... Need a knock-down shooter type. Given his Indy roots, this seems like a no-brainer.

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
    Western Illinois guard Kobe Webster is in the NCAA Transfer Portal, a source tells @247Sports. Averaged 17.1 PPG this season. Has hit 184 three-pointers in his career. Graduate transfer.

BoyGeoff and willisbrown like this.
  16. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $2,087
    If a spot were to open up, we absolutely have to grab an immediate eligible guard. We have Thompson, Battle and two freshmen guards. That’s a lot of hoping it works out. I don’t think it’s completely outrageous to suggest next season’s success or failure is completely reliant on Battle’s development this off season. He needs to be good next year for Butler to be competitive.

Sidd Finch likes this.
  17. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,261
    While Battle is the most likely candidate, it doesn't have to be Battle. An immediately eligible guard or one of the soon to be freshmen could do it.

I agree with your basic premise, though. Someone has to be good at the other guard position for us to have a chance of being competitive next season.

18. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,902
    I have a sneaky feeling (based on nothing mind you, so don't yell at me) that things will work themselves out and there will be a spot or two open come the off season. That has to be spent on a knock down guard. When you look at next year's "to be" roster as it sits, it's deep with talent but not deep with shooters. Someone like Webster is the type to make it whole.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  19. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $182
    Not sure I completely agree. If David is healthy, you could start Thompson, Tucker, David, Nze, Golden....Battle and the freshmen off the bench.

20. BulldogsAllTheWay

Money:
    $2,087
    While I love all 5 of those guys and think they’ll all have a role, Butler would average 50 points a game if that’s the go to lineup.

The more I think about it, it’s hard to imagine next year not being a struggle. A couple of the freshmen and/or Battle are gonna have to be really good. That’s a tough ask.

2xDawg likes this.