Who do you want to see in 2016 class?

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by jkcdawgs, Apr 26, 2014.

1. BulldogTJN

BulldogTJN New Member

Money:
    $5
    I could see him looking into the draft after this year assuming he continues to put up good numbers and Butler goes on a win streak. The new draft declaration rules allow for more flexibility in pursuing the draft and going back to school.

For some perspective though, Kelan Martin is ranked 67th...in the Sophomore class by DraftExpress: http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/NCAA-Sophomores/3/

Keep in mind that these rankings are mostly based on potential than actual numbers. Some of the players ranked ahead of him are laughable (Anas Mahmoud from Louisville at #33?...Really?).

2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,851
    My point about Hayward and scouts/agents during his soph season is to point out that as far as I have heard, that hasn't been the case for Martin, so difficult to imagine he is getting the kind of feedback at this point to lure him away--at least this year.

3. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,352
    I don't believe scouts were sent specifically for Martin, but there have been a lot of scouts that have seen him. I know there were definitely scouts for both Providence games and the Villanova game. I know I've seen scouts in attendance at others too, but I can't recall of the top of my head which ones.

It's probably going to take a great performance in March by Martin and a deep run by the team for him to end up with a legitimate option of leaving. And while none of us want to see him leave early I think we would all pack his bags if it meant 3+ wins in the NCAA tournament this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. SchlabbaDawg

SchlabbaDawg Member

Money:
    $3,084
    ESPN doesn't have him listed in their top 100 prospects (I know not the be-all-end-all of sports, but it does provide prospective). Let's hold off on the Martin to NBA talk. Good player, set up to be the feature guy next year, but not even a lock for 1st all conference.

Now should Martin start? Yes, but I would go smallish, and move Chrabs to the bench, with Lewis still starting. Have Charbs as the backup 5, Jones 4, Martin 3, Dunham 2, and Lewis 1. Let Gathers be the main scoring guy off the bench. The team is really 7 deep at the moment, with Fowler/Etherington getting spot minutes. I personally do not like the idea of having a "big" starting 5, with 2 point guards coming in off the bench.

5. gutshot

gutshot New Member

Money:
    $5
    you couldn't have picked a better user name...

6. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,497
    It would also be nice to set a tone, especially in the 2nd half.

I would rather his 10 minutes on the bench come mid-way through both halves, but that's just me.

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,167
    Thanks! Didn't know you were a member!

8. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,491
    Nope, it's not just you. Shocked doesn't even describe how I felt when the second half started against Creighton and Martin was on the bench. Martin had 17 points in the first half and was the primary factor for Butler leading by 5 at halftime. Butler even closed the first half on a roll after the BS start. Martin didn't need a rest since you're coming back from halftime. Wasn't in any foul trouble. Forget basketball, just using common sense, why do you sit Martin to start the half? Creighton gets on that roll to start the half, sets the tone for the rest of the game, and Butler never led again. Yep, some of these guys need to play smarter and produce more, but I'm not putting all the blame on them. Holtman does, too, and even more so. He did provide Davis got some solid seconds (28 of them) against Creighton, so I'm sure the kid is ready to contribute.

By the way, I have no doubt Davis will make mistakes and screw up when he finally does get some meaningful minutes. Just wonder where the kid would be right now if he had gotten a minimum 10 to 12 minutes each game and was getting comfortable with himself and college basketball. So, as even beat writer David Woods (recognizing some energy and raw potential in Davis) suggests, Davis may indeed get more time, but don't everyone jump all over him when he screws up and do the "I told you so" thing. I guarantee, he's going to screw up. How much, TBD. But most of his screw-ups should have been behind him by now had Holtman effectively developed his bench players. And not just inserting Etherington at times in a "just do no harm" approach.

9. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $526
    The Davis thing is baffling. He must have punched Holt's wife or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,352
    This, now this made me giggle. Well done, peeps. I just spit out some Busch Light.

11. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $526
    Good to see JD get some burn last night. And you know what, he was fine out there. Played with length, athleticism, and energy. Had a few shots blocked, but he looked like he belonged. Much better use of our bench than Etherington or Fowler.

Also, on Martin, yes, starting matters. It matters a lot.

12. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $707
    Any open gyms going on? Has anyone seen the freshman?

13. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $465
    I'd say you heard right. And from the right people.

What else are you hearing? ;)