Who uses the extra year and comes back?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by GO_DAWGS!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $107
    Curious what everyone thinks will happen next year? Who among Thompson, Nze, David and Bolden do we think would want to come back? Has NCAA even discussed details of how this all works logistically with scholarship numbers, roster size, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,890
    I'd be shocked if Nze or Bolden came back. They are both already in their 5th seasons. With all of the injuries, I doubt David is back either.

I could at least see Thompson considering another year.

3. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,021
    Matt Howard, Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward.

Shimmy, MSUDawg, HoosierDawg and 2 others like this.
  4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,995
    No one. Either too old and/or don't want to come back to a losing team when they could transfer to a team destined to be in the Tournament next season

5. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,012
    I’d be surprised if any of the seniors return next season.

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,538
    This is probably the right answer. Nze and Bolden seem to be easy "Nos", David's playing days are over and Thompson may want to get into the tournament...but he's the only one I can see wanting to stay and play one more year under LaVall. I still thinks he moves on as well.

7. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,607
    I'd say no one, but I said that earlier this year and was blasted by everyone saying Aaron Thompson would definitely be back. Dude has options, either playing, coaching, or business.

8. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    He seems the type to want to play in one more tournament and he'd have his pick of teams he could move over to for that shot. Or, he could see up close and personal all the talent we will have and feel a loyalty to LaVall? But out of the four, he's the only one I see as a slight chance.

9. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $256
    lol why have you cacncelled CDs career? He's a week and a year out from ACL tear. It takes a year to rehab and variable times to feel comfortable playing.

10. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    I haven't. And I wish it wasn't the case because any depth we can use. Saying his playing days are over isn't an opinion of mine. Frankly I'd like that not to be the case because it sucks for him.

11. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $256
    why did you say exactly that?

12. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $876
    Firstly I think there is no way we do not make the tournament next year. With Johnson, Coles and Hodges playing plus an experienced Tate, Wilmoth and Harris I think the team will pretty good, Thompson coming back would make them really good. I don't know why anyone would not come back. Every one of them would like to continue playing ball and playing another year especially after an off year would only raise their stock and a chance to play over seas. Do you really think any of them are thinking " hey can't wait to get basketball out of the way so I can start my career in accounting and I'm so excited about doing that that I'll pass up a free graduate degree" ? For those of you saying they're too old , how are they too old ? They may be old for being an undergraduate in college, but not for basketball and being a graduate student. Could LaVall force some off to make room on the roster, which would be ridiculously large? Perhaps, but I don't know why anyone would be anxious to give it up if they didn't have too and I don't see any of them having great opportunities elsewhere at this point.

BNiche, Denverdawg and SnoopDawg like this.
  13. RPEye

RPEye Member

Money:
    $130
    None of them may come back but every one of them should. I see a relatively recent Butler star frequently these days. He’s played all over, including G league. One thing I get from conversations with him: unless you make an NBA roster, nothing compares with the experience of college basketball. My guess is that Kamar would tell all of them the same thing.

So maybe they go somewhere else to play but keep in mind that the truly sure bet tournament teams will have their choice of lots of players. Next year will be crazy that way. Lavall should convince this crew to hang together and go for having a big season.

In the worse case that they all leave, Lavall should look to be a net winner from the Covid extra year by finding a 5 that is ready to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

jeff likes this.
  14. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,995
    If you have maybe 5 to possibly 7 years max to get paid playing basketball somewhere, why (if you had your degree) would you waste another of those years playing with a team that might make the tournament? I’m not going into contract/age logistics

NCJon and willisbrown like this.
  15. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,925
    Think only AT returns. Missing the early part of the season hasn’t helped raise his profile as evidenced by exclusion on the national watch lists. Stay heathy and improved season next year will put him in better position to negotiate with a top paying league overseas. I get that anything can happen but it seems like a better long term plan to hang around.

willisbrown likes this.
  16. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,748
    Does AT even have a future as a pro? Is a strong defender with zero offense valued in any pro league?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,607
    Not in Europe. I think his future, if he wishes to stay in basketball, is coaching. He'd probably make a good official too. People always forget about that avenue.

bmradio99 likes this.
  18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,518
    He can play somewhere. It just matters what he’s willing to accept for pay. If you start in the Big East there’s someone somewhere who will take you.

BUcheer likes this.
  19. MarcusNellemsfor3

MarcusNellemsfor3 New Member

Money:
    $22
    Nze back next year? 6089FF15-F35E-46C9-91F5-67E80201ED5D.png

Hinkle likes this.
  20. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,304
    Speculation is fun since its free and requires no credentials or qualifications - so my uninformed opinion is that they all come back. They are first and foremost basketball guys, and one more year is a good time if I am that. They all can do some graduate studies and maybe snag a Masters which is paid for by scholarship - valuable stuff. Nobody on the potential return list is NBA ready. They all bring serious experience to the table, and with the way the young guys are developing that looks to be a very good team. Why wouldn't they want to be part of the "redemption" year? When I was 20 something I wasted more than one year doing utter nonsense... so if it was me, I would go for it in a nanosecond.

bwesson15, jeff and 2xDawg like this.