Who uses the extra year and comes back?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by GO_DAWGS!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,887
    I know what they say about assuming, but Hodges has to come back, right? Especially after missing half the season anyway and knowing he can get a full one?

2. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,938
    Hodges, originally, came here for next year. This is bonus time for him. I think we can feel reasonably secure in the assumption he is here next year.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,887
    Ah, that's right. Thanks.

DawgPoundMac and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  4. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $931
    That would be 3 exempts Bolden, Nze, Thompson. Hastings out? 3 Freshman commits.
    11 roster scholarships and 3 exempt seniors. Still need a transfer big and transfer sharpshooter. Too many competing for time and freshman / sophomore class losing minutes. My preference in order: Bolden (sharpshooter in hand). That's it. We have to get an athletic big and another pure shooter.

iluvsnow and willisbrown like this.
  5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,538
    I'm with this. If I get to choose one to come back it's Bolden. Hodges was always planning for next year so those two plus (Lord willing) a healthy 5 *freshmen* is a hell of a first 7. Get me that big man transfer and I think we're good. A sharp shooter would be gravy but Tate is a good shooter, it just hasn't all come together consistently yet. Harris is good. Scooby can nail deep and of course in this case Bolden. IF I had to pick only one transfer, it would be a big banger.

dippper61, Tentozen and BoyGeoff like this.
  6. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,807
    You're forgetting David, who would also be eligible to come back.

It would be great to get them all back for the most part, but the order of preference should probably be Thompson, Nze, Bolden, then David.

• Thompson is the leader of the team, probably the best leader of the last decade, and still an elite perimeter defender. Just having him around as a "coach on the floor" would help Tate and Harris continue to develop, not to mention the incoming freshmen guards.
    • Nze is a top defensive rebounder in the country. One of the reasons we're even in games is because we don't give up many offensive rebounds, and Nze is almost solely responsible for that. He's had his woes this year for sure, especially at the line, but remember he was picked pre-season 2nd team all Big-East. He also lost a ton of weight due to COVID. I get that he's frustrating at times (frustrating to me too) but you want him back. He averages nearly a double-double with 9.9 ppg and 8.2 rbg. I'm willing to bet that with a full offseason and no-COVID he can return to form. Don't forget that last year he led the conference in FG%.
    • Bolden is by far the most replaceable. He's a very good set shooter, no doubt, but he's a negative defender and when he's not hitting shots then he's not really giving you anything whereas Thompson and Nze can be valuable in other ways when they aren't making shots, namely defense and rebounding. Bolden would be intriguing to keep around in an Avery Woodson role off the bench -- just come in and fire away. But I don't even want him starting any more this season. I'd prefer to go small with Thompson, Tate, Harris, Hodges, and Nze.
    • David would be fine as a bench presence. It doesn't hurt to have senior leaders who don't count against the limit and accept that they won't play much.

People get frustrated with Thompson and Nze at the line. Don't let that blind you to their real value. They are very good players.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    bwesson15, NCJon, troggy and 4 others like this.
  7. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $931
    I would like to see Thompson on the bench in a suit. Not sure that is what he wants. I would not deny the right they have to come back and seek their full potential. If they do, I would hope they see limited action due to being outplayed in practice. Bolden we agree. But if you can shoot it and that is all we ask, then there is room to impact any game with a pure shooter.

Tentozen and willisbrown like this.
  8. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,807
    Where we differ is that I'd love to see Thompson on the bench in a suit in two years, not next year. But I very, very much want him on the BU staff some day. But if he doesn't count against the scholarship limit next year, then hell yeah bring him back if he wants to.

That's the thing I think folks are missing in their analysis: if all of them come back, it doesn't count against the scholarship limit. You don't have to pick "just one" to come back. I'm happy with all of them as long as their roles make sense.

Bolden, yeah. If he's back next year I hope his role is just being a sharp shooter. He could be a big impact that way. But -- and this feels crazy to say -- he's nowhere near the level of driver or rebounder our last sharpshooter (McDermott) was. Bolden would elevate his game a ton if he could drive towards the basket, but when you watch him drive he always, always, always gets forced sideways.

Tentozen likes this.
  9. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,304
    David intrigues me, he was on the verge of a breakout when he did his knee in. Similarly he was slow developing because of prior knee surgery as a Freshman. Maybe his knees can't handle the workload, or maybe he has just had some terrible luck. Don't know, but he has the attitude,the size and the quickness to be effective - and now he has 3+ years of Big East experience. I think he owes it to himself to try it one more year - even if it means coming off the bench as the seventh or eighth man. I've also heard he is a very good student - so he can pull in a graduate degree while he's at it.

Tentozen and 2xDawg like this.
  10. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    Y'all that talk about David and his breakout year last year, go look at the numbers then come back and tell us about the "breakout" season. News alert (whispers) he's not good. And he wouldn't see the court next season. We'll never know because of the injuries.

Bolden is exactly what will be needed next year as a bench sniper. If he can accept that role, that is wildly valuable with the way the roster will look.

If AT and Nze want to come back, fine. And for as good as AT is, dude breaks down physically aplenty. Always seems to have something going on. He hasn't been 100% all season so I could see him wanting one more go. And that's fine. I personally am ready to pass the PG reigns to the pups, but another year of AT is fine by me.

11. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,393
    No one said David had a breakout year ; said he was on the verge of a breakout year, and if even that isn’t true, he still had a helluva lot of potential, so give him a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg and NCJon like this.
  12. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    He's had a chance for 4 years. It hasn't happened. And I've heard the word (between last year and this year) "breakout" in terms of him aplenty. The numbers say something completely different.

My opinion on David is that he came in with high ratings and potential. But he's never once been 100%, then last year he busts his other wheel. It's a shame because we as fans never really got to see him reach the ceiling we all thought he had. And he's not going to reach it between now and the end of his career at Butler. Whatever talent he had was wasted by the severe injuries and knowing what that feels like, it sucks. I had him pegged coming in as a sure fire (worst case) 10&5 type hard nosed player. It just didn't happen. And at this point it's not going to. Doesn't mean I don't like him or root for him...it's just not meant to be.

13. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,335
    These are all strong arguments for each senior returning. But it is also easy to see that the current 5th year seniors/graduate students like Nze and Bolden, may be ready at age 23 or 24 to begin the next phases of their lives. For us fans it's hard to imagine not wanting to play another year, and that's probably true for many players too, but I've known more than a small number of college athletes who would turn down a 6th year so they could begin that next chapter.

One question I've had about the bonus year due to Covid is whether it's only available to players whose eligibility would otherwise be expiring (seniors and graduate students) or do the other players get a year tagged on to the end due to this year being so ****ed up, as well. Because if it's every player - as it should be - that has potentially long-term dividends for the current freshmen.

MSUDawg and 2xDawg like this.
  14. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,771
    I’ve been one of the biggest CD fanboys here, and I hate that I mostly agree with this. It’s a shame.

NCJon, 2xDawg and BoyGeoff like this.
  15. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,890
    I believe this season doesn't count against anyone. So that means 4 more years of Harris and Tate - which is great news for Butler fans.

jeff and NCJon like this.
  16. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,594
    It doesn't help that he should never have played his freshman year. it should of and needed to be a RS year. That is one of the worst managed things I think LJ has done as a coach since coming how he's handled personnel decisions and RS, injuries, etc I'm hoping it comes from time as a HC but it's been pretty bad so far

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    willisbrown likes this.
  17. ThirdRowDawg

ThirdRowDawg New Member

Money:
    $31
    Bolden would be my last choice; he is one dimensional and makes us easier to defend; he is inconsistent offensively; he is a defensive matador. Tate, Hodges and Harris should all start in front of him if AT returns

18. willisbrown

Money:
    $11,538
    It's been four years but if memory serves...that team had ok depth so I'm not sure why LJ didn't RS him knowing he was still broken. Maybe it was something they spoke about and agreed to do...that team didn't NEED David, but '18-'19 could surely have used David (a healthy one).

19. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $256
    I feel confident to guess AT will be back as starting PG in the 21-22 season.
    The others I am not so sure. Nze turns 23 in March and Bolden is about the same age, if not older...I can't find his bday anywhere.

I wonder what the 7 minutes of court time 12 months after an ACL tear has shown you?
    It takes a lot of time (and highly variable amounts of time) to feel comfortable.
    Derrick Rose took over 17 months to return. Many other players have returned to peak form after a prolonged recovery.
    Al Jefferson, Ricky Rubio, Derrick Rose, David West, Baron Davis, Jamal Crawford, Kyle Lowry

NCJon and 2xDawg like this.
  20. WDLTH

WDLTH Member VIP Member

Money:
    $79
    IF AT/Bolden/Nze come back next year we will have a deep team (as will many other teams across the country). However, I'd be concerned about minute distribution. You can already see it some this year with Tate and Wilmoth now that Bo is in the mix.

Here's my hope for starters and bench (however, I recognize LaVall would likely start Golden and Bolden).

AT
    Harris
    Scooby (if he's back to pre-injury form)
    Bo
    Nze

Bench (sorted by position, not time)
    Tate
    Bolden/Freshman (hopefully one is ready for some decent minutes)
    Wilmoth
    Coles
    Golden

That's 11 that can contribute, but playing that many people is not typical. This excludes any potential transfers (like a banger that is needed). Coaches could be in a tough spot determining minutes next year.