Who uses the extra year and comes back?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by GO_DAWGS!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,743
    You'd RS every freshman IMO.

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,546
    That would be one way, but with the lack of shooting I find it hard that Thomas and Taylor don't find their way at some point. Thomas is shooting 39% on volume and about 50% on catch and shoot and already is probably a better defender than Bolden and at 6'6 more Big East body, athleticism and Taylor is just shooting lights out from everywhere and at 6'4 and can give you Big East length. That team combing back the way it is, still is devoid of shooting and playmaking

3. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $961
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think there's much chance that everyone comes back.

willisbrown likes this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,362
    I've been leaning this way with the exception of AT. Bolden and Nze are in their 5th year already and I can't imagine David coming back. Unless he really loves school because he isn't playing on a team that deep (hell he shouldn't be playing now; both health and skill)

My only hesitation is if Nze and Bolden want to chase a trip to the dance. Nze nor Bolden have tasted it...I still think they won't be back though.

5. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,547
    I'm the exact opposite, I think Nze comes back as the lone one. He came here to get to the tournament. AT just has so many options next year - here, there, coaching, overseas. It would hurt bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Kentucky or Duke came calling for him.

6. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $6,743
    I have no insider knowledge on this but I can never imagine if AT stays in college for another year, that he'd leave Butler for another school.

7. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,547
    Granted, but the opportunity to get a master's from Duke is appealing.

8. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $6,743
    I know a lot of folks aren't fans of the NBA, but one thing that may be a good takeaway is the value of veterans that, while they don't play, really help influence the locker room. They show young NBA players what it means to be a pro: how to show up and work everyday, what game prep at that level looks like, etc. JJ Barea was one for the Mavs for a long time. Udonis Haslem on the Heat is probably the best example. He never plays, but he's revered around that locker room.

The reason I bring it up is that I think people discount players like David because they aren't putting up numbers. The reality is that not every guy is going to lead the team in scoring. You need older guys around the program who show underclassmen what it means to practice hard, how important it is to lift, etc. You can't tabulate how important those sorts of contributions are because they don't show up in the box score, but I think Butler fans shouldn't just go "this guy doesn't score so I don't really care if he comes back." There are many ways to be a valuable member of the team.

9. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,303
    Instead of us pontificating aimlessly, lets ask someone who actually talks to these guys. Hey Lukas! How do you handicap the odds of each of these guys using their extra year ?

10. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $6,743
    this is a forum! we live to pontificate aimlessly!

NCJon, formz42, BoyGeoff and 2 others like this.
  11. WDLTH

WDLTH Member VIP Member

Money:
    $67
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...a-extra-year-of-eligibility-new-transfer-rule

I don't know/understand the detailed rules about eligibility and transferring next year, but I thought I had read seniors couldn't transfer (which was apparently not true). I found this article, which clarifies a bit.....if it's right. It says seniors can transfer, but they would count against the allotment. Here's the wording from the article:

An NCAA spokesperson told the Union-Tribune on Wednesday night that “the additional eligibility is only at the current school” but clarified that Thursday morning.

“The eligibility is available at another school,” the spokesperson said in a subsequent email, “but the scholarship will count against team limits. If a student-athlete stays at their current school but has exhausted eligibility, their aid doesn’t count against team limits.”

In other words, if you have 13 basketball players on scholarship and three seniors stay for their extra year, you still get three additional scholarships for 2021-22. If a senior transfers to another school for that extra season, he or she counts against the allotted scholarship limit (which is 13 for men’s basketball).

So, if I'm reading this right, we have 4 seniors, so we would have 17 slots for next year (or maybe 5 seniors and 18 slots since Bo is a senior). However if any of our seniors transfer or just don't play that would reduce our slots (and count against the slots of where our senior is transferring). Am I understanding that right? What am I missing?

12. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,546
    You are reading that last part wrong, if any of the seniors transfer it counts against the school they transfer's allotment. It would have nothing to do with Butler's amount. So if they don't choose to come back or transferred elsewhere we would be back to the regular 13. If AT transferred to say Michigan St it wouldn't have any effect on Butler but AT would occupy one of the 13 scholarships at Michigan St. If AT decided to come back and play for Butler he would be number 14 on our count and not impacting our normal 13

BoyGeoff likes this.
  13. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,572
    I pray that Nze and AT come back. I personally think Bolden has hit his ceiling and the pups or a transfer will outplay them both offensively and defensively.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  14. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,853
    I would agree there’s multiple ways to be of value to a team. And not meant to be an appraisal of Christian’s contributions, but IMO transformative leadership most often influences others when the player has a major role on the court. You can certainly admire someone’s work ethic or resiliency or ethics, but the most impactful leaders have admirable characteristics AND are leading when you go to battle. And we have those kind of players without CD. (But I would support his/Vall’s decision either way.)

I think one reason IU wanted Joey was because they thought he could bring an attitude/culture that would be a positive influence on the wayward upper classmen and instill values in the youngsters. Not saying he hasn’t provided some of that, but think how much more impactful if he was actually playing and contributing.

Nville Dog likes this.