Who will Butler's coach be next year?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by FRENCH DAWG, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Active Member

Money:
    $311
    Maybe I'm naive and coaching at Butler isn't as good a situation as I think it is, but if this is true (I'm not disputing Hinkle. Just saying I don't know), then I have to believe the number of jobs CH would leave Butler for is relatively few in number.

Two factors which COULD impact the future: (1) Collier getting tired of Holtmann using every big job vacancy as leverage for more money. (2) CH getting tired of the specter of Brad Stevens hanging over him. Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea if either point is true or if they will ever rise in urgency to the point where they impact this situation, but barring those, I have to believe Holt will be around for a pretty long time.

2. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,747
    Sounds like at least one candidate wants nothing to do with the job... Hopefully this quote is from Holtmann:

"Which means NC State will likely end up shopping from a second tier of candidates, and here’s what one second-tier candidate told me Thursday: “I wouldn’t touch that job. If making four NCAA Tournaments [in six years] gets you fired midseason [in your sixth year], it’s not a good job to take if you already have a good job.”"

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ations-for-nc-state-i-wouldnt-touch-that-job/

TheOnlyNameLeft and MilkSteak like this.
  3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,199
    Sounds like NC State thinks more highly of itself than even IU.

4. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Active Member

Money:
    $3,452
    Sheesh............... Mike. Gottfried is 8-24 in the ACC the last two seasons and his recruiting has been a Hot Mess. That will put anyone on the hot seat.

NCJon likes this.
  5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,509
    1). I don't think Holt is using "leverage". Those programs came after him and he was smart to talk with them as he had never experienced that level of job negotiation before. I know for a fact that GT came after him hard and he clearly told them no more than once. Barry knows what he needs to do, and he will within the framework of what BU/BOT will allow.

2). I don't think Holt feels Brad's ghost hanging over him. He knows the value he has brought to the program. I tend to think that the longer he stays, the more likely is he to be a long-termer, if that makes sense. When he came to BU he got that it was a good job, but now he knows just how special of a place it is. Give him a taste of a S16 or Elite 8 and he will see that there are few more satisfying jobs in college BB.

butlernut likes this.
  6. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Active Member

Money:
    $3,188
    Win the whole thing and Butler becomes a destination job, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

butlernut and MSUDawg like this.
  7. Albick

Albick Active Member

Money:
    $171
    It seems that the discussion about whether a Butler coach will leave or stay (which has happened almost every year for many years) really says a lot more about the people posting than it does about the coach. That's natural, since we don't actually know how satisfied Coach Holtmann is with the Butler job and what his professional goals are. What is more important to him: maximizing his annual salary or earning a little less but being in a more stable coaching position; coaching in a higher-level conference where his teams might have more trouble competing for a championship or a chance to be competitive in a good conference; living in a pleasant medium-sized Midwestern city or living in the south? How does he feel about his relationship with the Butler administration? How important is it to him to coach where they have a modern arena with good practice facilities? Does he like the idea of coaching where basketball is king, or would he prefer the perks that come with coaching at a school that gets big-time football money? We can speculate, but we don't really know the answers to any of these and a hundred other questions that might factor into his decision. Since we don't know, we try to put ourselves in his shoes and figure out what we would do in his place, which is why our speculation often says more about us than it does about him. It's fun to discuss--it's what sports talk shows and message boards thrive on--but, in my opinion, we shouldn't take any of it too seriously. There are too many unknowns.

8. BUcheer

Money:
    $3,509
    Question for the board on Brad: Most IU fans seem to have given up on the notion that he's leaving the Celtics should Crean get the boot. There are still a few diehards who think there's a chance, and some who act like they have inside info that at one time Brad would have said yes to IU (even though the offer never came) but acknowledge that is no longer the case. That does not line up with anything I have ever heard or observed myself. Does anyone here think there's any legit reason to believe Brad was willing to leave BU for IU?

9. BURph92

BURph92 Active Member

Money:
    $280
    Is NC State a better job than Georgia Tech?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Active Member

Money:
    $311
    Of course he's using other offers to get raises. He'd be foolish not to, and it's something that virtually anyone would do. Collier didn't give CH raises out of the goodness of his heart. He did it because he needed to, circumstances dictated it.

I doubt Collier is upset over having to give CH raises thus far. After all, he's having to do it because Butler is doing well, which is a whole lot better than 10 win seasons. Eventually, there will come a time when CH hits the BU ceiling ("within the framework of what BU/BOT will allow"). My guess is that will be enough except for a relatively few (maybe 20) premium coaching positions.

TheOnlyNameLeft likes this.
  11. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,452
    I think one thing people misunderstand about Stevens is he didn't leave Butler for the Celtics. He left COLLEGE BASKETBALL for the Celtics and the NBA. Stevens simply didn't like the whole recruiting process. I don't think he ever really coveted IU or any other Top 10 job.

12. BUcheer

Money:
    $3,509
    I think we are on the same page, Sidd. But your premise about Collier tiring of Holt using leverage suggests Holt would entertain talks with every program that reaches out as a ruse to get a raise. I think he's going to be more selective when those programs come calling in the future. Because he hadn't been through that process before it only made sense to get a feel for how that works. As you said, relatively few programs to even consider having a conversation with.

13. troggy

troggy Active Member

Money:
    $294
    Yeah, there are posters over at the IU board who still insist that the Hoosiers are Stevens' dream job. Their entire hypothesis is based on the fact that he was a huge IU fan as a kid.

14. Butler1980

Butler1980 Member

Money:
    $48
    IU fans are hilarious. They still consider IU a "blue blood" program in the same category as Kansas, Duke, NC, UK, etc. and that they can have their pick of Stevens, Donovan, Marshall or Bennett.

15. bmradio99

bmradio99 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,183
    I'd love to see them get Marshall so I can continue to hate IU.

16. bmradio99

bmradio99 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,183
    Also this discussion is driving me nuts...we need a game thread stat.

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,146
    Somewhere in Bloomington on a speakerphone in March, 2018:

1) Hi Brad, it's a lovely day in Bloomington and we're calling...(click)

2) "Billy, what's going on, IU here..."
    "Have you even heard of Russell Westbrook?!?!"
    (click)

3) "Gregg! it's IU! Remember the final four in 198..."
    "Do you know how much money I'm currently making?"
    "It's the MVC...so, nothing like what the HOOOSIERS could give you, right?!"
    (click)

4) "TONY! Can we put that thing with your sister behind..."
    (click)

5) "Stevie! It's your alma mater..."
    "Have you ever been do Santa Monica at dusk?"
    "I've heard it's no Bloom..."
    (click)

6) "Archie, great work at Dayton. Let's talk about our coaching vacancy."
    "Thad's health isn't great. I'm holding out for that job. You'll have to give me time."
    "But it's Ohio State. Have you seen our banners..?"
    "They have a lot of money and the fan base isn't insane."
    "But what about..."
    (click)

7) "Chris! How is the weather in Cincy?"
    "The same as in Bloomington. How far away do you think we are?"
    "Not very, which is why I'm calling about our coaching vacancy...well, first things first...you're not really a vampire, right?"
    "No."
    "Well, how about a job in Bloomington?"
    "I'm all ears."

18. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,452
    Yeah, but it is still one of those Top 10 jobs.

NCJon likes this.
  19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $403
    This is true...although I thought the same a few years ago about UCLA, now they may be coming back to make themselves such. I'd say top jobs:

Kentucky, Kansas, IU, Puke, UNC, UCLA, Michigan St, Oregon (because of the coin/Knight connection)...the last two, take your pick. Texas? Michigan? Florida? Maryland? Ohio St? Think they're about on the same level.

20. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,842
    Even Down here in NC, NC State is an after thought unless you are in Raleigh, so he'd be dumb to come over here.