Will someone explain Tyler Lewis's season?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by palefire, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. palefire

palefire New Member

Money:
    $5
    Dear Butler people,

This is my first season as a Butler fan. I am a Tyler Lewis fan from a distance--I was into his game at NC State, and during his year not playing I caught up with his impressive array of highlight videos, almost all from his high school years. Really looked forward to this season.

I am not in state and have not been able to see any games on TV. My entire experience of the Butler season this year has been through your local media--as well as the papers of the opposing teams. A few ESPN clips. Etc.

So it has been by inference that I gather that Lewis is shirnking like a cube of sugar in tea. His minutes are declining. When I see those short two minute videos he's not only absent from the highlights, he seems to rarely be on the court.

Can someone explain why he seems to have lost his mojo?

I realize he didn't really dominate at NC State, either. And after all, he left because he must have thought he would be playing behind Cat Barber. But what do you think is going wrong with his game? Any theories?

My own theory, based on thin air, is that the bulking up he did in his red shirt season, while necessary for making him more credible as a defender, has sloweed him down a tiny bit and his game is built around quickness and deception.

Any thought?

Thank you from the Big Easy.
    palefire

2. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    Undersized without elite quickness and not a solid defender.

3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    You can't watch Butler games bc you're out of state??? Yeah ok...

Joins Jan 2016...

Lewis bulked up?? From 150 to 155???

Something is off about this post.

4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,241
    If players take a significant leap it usually happens between their freshman and sophomore year. Upon looking at Lewis's career numbers there's simply no evidence that he would have the season everyone envisioned when acquiring a McD AA.

5. xiuman

xiuman New Member

Money:
    $5
    Agree ndfan. Perhaps if he were running with 4 athletic studs he could excel. That is not the case here.

6. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
    Tyler Lewis is the best pure point guard I have ever seen ...

In 2012, Tyler Lewis was considered one of the best high school basketball players in the country. He was named the Gatorade Player of the State in 2012. He led his high school team, the prestigious, Oak Hill Academy to a 44-0 season and a high school national championship. He was one of the most sought after recruits in the country before he decided to commit to North Carolina State. However, he only lasted two seasons at NC State before he determined that he needed to transfer.

I have been lucky enough to be able to see Lewis play in Butler’s open gym practices. An open gym is essentially just a scrimmage game between the Bulldogs roster. During these open gym sessions, Lewis is one of, if not the most, dominant player on the court. When the ball is in his hands he has complete control over every single other player. No matter where a teammate is on the court, Lewis finds them. Throughout several open gym’s I have seen, Lewis has made countless passes that would make the Sportscenter top 10 plays. No look passes and behind the back passes are frequent occurrences for him. Now it’s one thing to make the easy pass to a teammate for the score. Lewis, however, makes the passes that nobody else would make. He makes the passes that nobody else even sees. His vision on the court is at an NBA level.

In terms of handling the ball, he is elite. He handles the ball so well that it is a rarity when he turns the ball over. There was a reason he set an ACC record for assist to turnover ratio in his final year at NC State. He does not make many mistakes. Given his immense talent with the ball in his hands, it isn’t a surprise that he can drive into the lane with ease. He frequently crosses over some of Butler’s top defenders as he glides into the paint for a layup. Never before have the Bulldogs had a player who could get into the lane with such ease.

Looking at his stats from his time at NC State, you would think that Lewis was not a very good shooter.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

He isn’t just an average shooter, he is a great one. Based off the system that was run at his former school, Tyler was not given the opportunity to shoot the ball freely.

During games in open gym, he consistently hits around 36-40 percent of his threes. While Lewis is a very capable shooter, he clearly loves to distribute the ball more than he loves to score. He will often pass up a makeable shot and dish the ball to a teammate cutting to the basket.

Unfortunately for Lewis and Butler, he will have to sit out this season due to NCAA transfer rules. When he is eligible to play in the 2015-2016 season, Butler will be one of the top teams in the Big East. With the talent that will surround him, Lewis will once again be the elite point guard he once was in high school.

For now, Butler fans will have to wait for Lewis, but rest assured, he is worth the hype. -- Ari Kasle, September 2014

7. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,710
    When we were running and gunning more Tyler looked great and played great because he is quick, has great ball handling skills' and can pass on the move very well. Now that we've entered the BE schedule all the games have turned into grind it out and the defense is back and not letting us run at all, so his weaknesses are showing. He's neither tall or long, and he doesn't have x-ray vision so he can't make passes when he can't see thru or around bigger and longer guards. He still has all the same abilities they are just not as useful now that we're playing slower and the defenses are tighter with longer guards.
    I think we'll see more of him against Creighton, because they play fast and it will play more to his strengths. He is a nightmare to pressing teams because it plays into his strengths, but not many teams we play in the BE schedule will press except out of desperation.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Highschool ball, pick up games and All Star games are a breed apart from Top 25 D1 basketball much like the NBA is an entirely different game than CBB. We all put too much into observing players once or twice in AAU or open court and extend those impressions to an entirely different platform. I enjoy watching highlight videos, reading posters first hand observations of AAU/HS games but until a kid gets on the court in front of thousands of fans and national TV you just don't know.

9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Excellent observations.

10. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    I was told by a wise poster that he has IU syndrome: he plays well and looks great in shoot around and against inferior opponents but when you have to bring your hardhat he just can't fit the bill.

11. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,709
    We have stopped moving without the ball, which doesn't give him the opportunity to distribute the basketball. As a team, we have gotten back into the dribble the air out of the ball and try to create our own shot syndrome.

There were a few minutes during the Providence game we were actually moving and sharing the ball, then during the timeout Holtman reminded them to keep doing it........and of course the players went back to one on one basketball. It is hard to distribute the ball as a point guard if everyone stands around the perimeter waiting for a pass.

12. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $513
    +1. I am not sure if it is a matter of the players not executing the offense or if the offense needs revised for our skill set and competition level. We work really hard to get a shot b/c there is no movement, deception or apparent plan to our offense most of the time.

TL needs the ball in his hands to control the offense and distribute the ball. The current offense has not been set-up to compliment his skill set in my opinion. I hate the 3 man weave and how many times do you see 3 guys standing on 1 side of the court with seemingly no purpose other than to keep the other side of the court open. I'd like to see some high pick and roll and guys on the wings/baseline doing some screening, re-screen, whatever; but I'm tired of our stale and static offensive sets.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    I tend to agree that our offense is not PG centric. It is what it has been the past few years- KD running from one side to the other through screens, Jones looking for an opening to drive. Ball movement has not been a strength. There is very little cutting other than KD. Wideman stands around the basket, Chrabs sets a high ball screen and if he gets it he drives, tries a three or passes out to a wing. Jones looks to drive first or throws an alley oop. KD runs around. Martin plays NBA style- isolate and go one on one. Not sure where a PG fits in. The offense if based on Jones, KD and Martin doing their thing. If all three are clicking watch out. Two not so much.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Stomach virus, respiratory virus and concussion

15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Sets are by definition pretty static.

16. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $513
    Maybe you kid, but just in case you are not... Generally, an offensive set is a play that involves a series of planned action (movement) to result in a specific outcome. Depending on the defenses reactions, their could be 3 or 4 options off a single set. If the set doesn't result in a shot, you move into your general offense or run another set. I'm not saying you have to always run sets, but, in my opinion, that type of offense fits a true, TL type PG better (which was my response to the topic of this thread). I think it also gives form and purpose to a team that is struggling to find good shots within a players skill-set.

17. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $388
    We are getting way too deep in analyzing Tyler's struggles. Anyone in the country can see he simply does not have the physical tools to be effective against big East opponents. Some of his stature can make up for such disparity with elite athleticism. Unfortunately, he was not bestowed with such luck.

What I would like to know is why he seems his shot as collapsed to the point of liability. Is it mental or physical exhaustion?

I feel for the kid and hope he can thrive as a niche player, as he is an elite ball handler.

18. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,709
    Alex Barlow didn't have the physical tools either......he did a pretty good job based on how the discussion board finally shed their preconceived notions.

If Butler gets back to moving without the ball, he will be a great asset for the team and not just "a niche player"

19. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    The primary "problem" with Lewis' shot is small sample size. He is 2-13 in BE play, which is all anyone cares about when they talk about his play. However, a guy expected to hit 30% long term, has a 20% chance of going 2-13 or worse over a 13 shot sample. In other words, in a 30 game season, a 6 game streak of 2-13 would be expected to happen once by chance alone. That is what we have observed.

20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    That's the point ( pardon the pun). Butler has not been running a PG centric offense. Jones and Martin go NBA. KD runs around off picks and Chrabs sets high ball screens and gets what's left over. Wideman gets the garbage. There is very little ball movement outside of that. There is little opportunities for a pg to penetrate and dish off. Not saying that's a bad offense because it is based on the player's strengths.

Barlow wasn't athletic as currently defined but what he did have besides grit and determination was very quick hands and timing ability. He was also physically strong. I remember how he was criticized as was Woods and others like Vanzant. Now we wish we had them.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016