Will someone explain Tyler Lewis's season?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by palefire, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $152
    This observation seems correct from KAC12568 - "We have stopped moving without the ball, which doesn't give him the opportunity to distribute the basketball. As a team, we have gotten back into the dribble the air out of the ball and try to create our own shot syndrome."

Dunham is in more motion to get open than any other player, but when Jones has the ball at the point he looks for his drive first to score and is late to pass. Jones does many awesome things, but this is one area where he could adjust his game. Late in the game against Providence Jones drove as Dunham was coming to the wing and, I believe, Gathers was on the baseline. Jones was double-teamed and lost the ball with a call. Had he passed to the wing about 2 steps earlier to Dunham at the wing, Dunham would have had a clean shot. And if they closed on Dunham, Dunham could have swung it to the baseline for Gathers to shoot. As it goes in too many possessions we rely on each player making their own opportunity to score; and if there isn't one then and only then do they pass it. Passes need to be in the flow of the game...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    I think you are referring to when Jones drove in and charged with less than twenty seconds on the clock thus turning the ball over.

3. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $388
    Barlow has God given athleticism. And he is about 2 inches taller and twenty pounds bigger.

I don't have any preconceived notions about Lewis. He is physically overwhelmed and does not have the quickness nor strength to make up for it as Barlow does.

4. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,709
    An overwhelming majority of the folks on this board did nothing but bash Barlow for two years........ saying that he was not capable of playing basketball in Division 1, and all of the conferences we were affiliated with.......

Players have specific skill sets...... Imagine if Shaq tried playing on a team like Tarkanian's Running Rebels. Do you think he would have had a lot of success on the court? Coaches have to put players in a position to use their skills. Holtman has not put Lewis in a position to be successful based on the lack of movement in our offense. It doesn't matter how much he weighs, or how tall he is if there isn't anyone open because they are standing around the perimeter.

5. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    To the "eye", it looks like Lewis has been overwhelmed. He is small. But I'll give you, it's hard to completely run the show with someone like Jones on the court, because Jones really needs the ball in his hands to be effective. And we need Jones doing that. But hell, he doesn't and shouldn't be on the court for 40 minutes. And you're right, it looks like Holtman looks hasn't incorporated much to use the skills of Lewis. Holtman has more options and tools at his disposal. I would have thought that he would be making some adjustments and doing some tweaking and not just blaming the kids for underperforming. Just some minor stuff would help. Still think we aren't maximizing Dunham either. By the way, where's our fricking bench????? (Never developed early on when it should have been. Hurting us now.)

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,738
    I think, for this year, he needs to take a back seat and be a change of pace type and spell Jones here and there. We'll see much more from him next season when it is his show and he isn't sharing with Jones.

Saying that, and I hadn't gone back through the whole thread, so it may of been said...but his pops was barking on twitter again today. If I was Tyler, I'd give him the ol' "shut the **** up."

7. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,141
    Didn't see any barking on twitter--was something deleted?

8. RPEye

RPEye Member

Money:
    $50
    First, as noted elsewhere in this thread, the palefire post is odd and probably not 100% on the up and up. But, let's pretend it is and try to answer the questions. Here's my go at it:

Tyler Lewis is undersized and under-strength to be an ideal Butler point guard in Big East play. He cannot defend effectively at this level and the hole that he leaves defensively creates some team defense breakdowns.

Unlike Alex Barlow, Tyler Lewis is not strong enough to block out most other guards in the Big East. Even if his position is good, they fly around and through him much of the time.

Tyler Lewis is a skilled ball handler and deserves considerable credit for Butler's low turnover rate in the preseason.

IF the opposing team does not have a rim protector, Tyler Lewis finishes drives effectively for a guy his size.

So there you have a few observations about Tyler Lewis but there is one more that trumps all of the above: if Tyler Lewis was
    shooting the ball at a reasonable percentage from the 3 and generally we wouldn't be writing much about his other shortcomings. Lewis has shot poorly (15%) from the 3 at 4.6 attempts per. That's a big problem. Plug in Alex Barlow's senior year in conference 3-point percentage (45%, I think) on about 5 attempts per game and you would have this Butler team at a different place right now. If Lewis could just hit one more 3 a game, he would change how teams can defend us when he's in the game. Right now, we have two point guards that don't or can't shoot the 3. Rose brings lots of other skills and Tyler not so much. In any case, that fact means Dunham and Martin have all the harder time getting open looks from the 3 point line.

Lots of things could transform this team THIS season into what we all thought it might be. One of those things is Tyler Lewis emerging as the kind of 3 point threat that Alex Barlow became -- a point guard who could put down open looks from the line.

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,738
    It was very, very passive aggressive, but it was there. I'll try and to find it. Happened earlier this morning and I don't follow that bozo, so if I can't find it, forgive me. But I'll try for it. I promise though, it had to come from reading us or something else he saw. Hahaha, dude is a sour MF.

10. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,738
    Here's a couple, granted, he could be just puking tweets and I could be dead wrong, but, this seems like a passive shot at Butler fans, much like that horse **** he said about Hinkle awhile back. This is more passive, but you got to think it's pointed at someone and not just some ass hole dick brain posting inspirational horse crap.

Rick Lewis ‏@Coach_Rick57 5h5 hours ago Statesville, NC
    Always remember who believed in you when you were invisible to everyone else

Rick Lewis ‏@Coach_Rick57 38m38 minutes ago Statesville, NC
    Never allow yourself to be defined by someone else's opinion

11. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    I suspect that part of the shooting issues are the playing time. If you are used to being on the floor constantly, I think it is hard to get in any type of rhythm on your shot. I also think that given the present roster, we do not have players that can help him either on the perimeter or at the rim. Woods could have covered up for him when he got taken inside, but this year we do not those types of players this season.
    He sees the floor extremely well and anticipates where the ball should go next, but we do not have a lot of off ball movement and I agree, that Jones needs to have the ball in this hand although he is not by any real definition a point guard. A true point guard makes other payers better, and that is not something Roosevelt does. He looks for his shot first and for his skills ,t hat is the best decision.

12. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    I think you're reading too much into those tweets. Even if you're not, who cares?

13. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    One thing that probably wasn't Lewis' fault.....at Providence, when he was up top on the zone, he was literally running to the man to defend, taking like three or four "running" steps to get to the guy, and not just shuffling his feet side-to-side to gain position, as they swung the ball around the perimeter. Something you don't see every day. Seeing that just one or two times, Holtman should have packed the zone closer in. It's not just Lewis, but none of our guys are that quick moving their feet on defense. A zone that extended just leaves the whole middle even wider open, especially with the slow recovery of our guys. Outside of that one dude in the first half, Providence wasn't THAT proficient on the perimeter to begin with. It really made Lewis look kind of bad, but he was put in that position.

14. RPEye

RPEye Member

Money:
    $50
    Lewis hasn't been "on the the floor constantly" since high school, and he has been on the floor here plenty enough to average 4.6 attempts from the 3 -- so I don't buy that giving him more playing time will improve his shooting. 15% from 3 at his position on this team is not acceptable, and most of those shots have been very open looks. The good news is that he could improve in the second half of the season. He is the caliber player who should be able to do much better and if he does it could change the outcome of some of the close games we are likely to have upcoming. I am hopeful.

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    He first has to get healthy by getting over an intestinal virus & respiratory virus that he has been dealing with the past couple of weeks and now a concussion. Can't wait for the Creighton game to start so we all have something/ someone else to criticize.

16. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
    Any thoughts on who that might be? It will be a tough game, but I will be very disappointed if we can't win this one.

17. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    Rick Lewis posts that kind of stuff constantly. It has nothing to do with Butler. It's aimed at the high school kids he involved with.

18. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    No idea where you are getting your numbers from, but Lewis has not averaged 4.6 threes per game. He has attempted 46 3s in 18 games, or 2.6 per game. The most he took in any game was 4.

19. RPEye

RPEye Member

Money:
    $50
    Sports-reference.com

But to your point, that number is for 40 minutes not per game. I stand corrected on the shots per game but I believe the shooting percentage is accurate.

20. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Great post. I wish you would post more. Only 17 posts. You nail about all your observations.

Couple things on Lewis. BE teams are too good in transition defense for him to be effective. He's best at distributing on the run. He gets engulfed by length in the half court set and as you have noted hasn't shot the ball well at all. He didn't shoot it well at NC State either, so that isn't changing. He is really the poster child on this team as to why Chris has to recruit more two way players. Chris has done that with the 2016 class and adding Savage is huge to offense/defense versatility. Really like the guys Chris is targeting like Moultrie for instance in 2017. Another two way point guard.