Will someone explain Tyler Lewis's season?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by palefire, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    So are you both thinking we should stick with Gathers because he has the size , strength and defensive skills. If not Gathers who?

2. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $513
    Bunch of horse poo

3. Coach

Coach New Member

Money:
    $5
    You do know Tyler's dad is a national scout for college basketball.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  4. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    You are right about Rick Lewis. The man is a friend of Holtman and a big fan of Butler. He can be a big asset when it comes to recruiting. But then again his son......

5. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $553
    Tyler's problems this year haven't been defensively. We all knew he wasn't a good defender, neither is Gathers (for that matter, neither is Dunham or Chrab). His problems have been his inability to contribute offensively in the conference season. He can't shoot or hit open shots. He hasn't penetrated much, either. So while he is excellent at assist to turnover ratio and generally takes good care of the ball, its like 4 on 5 out there. For him to be on the floor, he has to consistently hit open shots, particularly 3's. He can't go 2 for 13.

Defensively, he just needs to hustle and try his best, like he did against Purdue. Of course he won't be able to stay in front of Kris Dunn, no one can. But his effort will help against everyone else.

Like many of our players (Dunham, Chrab), if he misses his first shot, he seems to get down on himself, lose all confidence, and he is shot the rest of the game. I don't think Holt has helped the situation with his odd decision to bench three guys before Xavier (the turning point in our season). But guys (Lewis included) still need to be mentally strong.

I remember him dominating Xavier in the NCAA tournament a few years ago. I know he has the ability. Just needs to get healthy, get his shot right, and get his confidence back. Perhaps that applies to our whole squad.

6. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    I already stated in the beginning of the Creighton thread that I am ready to see what Pettus can do. I already know what Lewis can do. Gathers has played incredibly poor as of late too. Chrabascz likewise. It's kind of a moot point though. With Butler only getting consistent play from 4 guys they aren't going to make a dent in this league. Part of me is already looking at recruiting and towards next year.

7. xiuman

xiuman New Member

Money:
    $5
    Don't be lured into " the next big thing" syndrome. You will end up disappointed.

8. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    Nothing against you peeps but I keep hearing this domination...

Tyler Lewis, G 32 3-6 1-3 0-1 0 3 3 8 0 0 1 0 7

Sure he is great with Ast./TO (8-1) - we know that...but that sort of line is what many expect out of Rosie each night. The guy he replaced put up this stat line vs. X last year:

Alex Barlow, G 34 7-16 5-14 3-4 1 3 4 1 0 4 4 1 22

I would venture a guess that most didn't think Barlow "dominated" that game.

9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Pettus did play the other day. You hit it on the head we can't make a dent with four players and that have proved out. As for me I'm looking beyond next year for my reasons stated elsewhere. We are losing too much this year and next.

10. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $512
    Yeah I remember Butler fans saying that when he committed. That they got a "xavier killer". But he didn't do all that well with us... 8 assists is impressive. But it's also not THAT difficult if you've got TJ Warren next to you.

I'll be shocked if Lewis ever puts up a stat line against us like Lewis did in the BET last year- nearly willed the entire team to a win, that kid going to Butler as a walk-on from Cincy was just a huge Miss on Mack's part. Would've loved to have him on our bench...but we have snagged a few from Indy as well I suppose...

Honestly ya'll should be okay if you can get to .500 in conference play. At that point a senior Jones/Dunham in the tournament and you can certainly make some noise.

11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Yeah, easily woulda had him if you had given him a spot. Barlow was a Xavier guy through and through and would have relished the opportunity to play for Chris "Phil Jackson" Mack. Think I read on here once that his family was big Dayton fans, but you could tell from the way he pursued steals that he always wanted what he couldn't have, so no doubt he secretly wanted to change jerseys at halftime of games at the cintas center.

Think he woulda been great in the brawl against cinci too. He could really work a zipper. Honestly, I'm glad we got Barlow for four years. Was a fan favorite, but would have totally been the right for him to go to Xavier. Probably woulda been playing in the NBA. Gotta feel for the kid that he wasn't given the opportunity.

12. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,161
    Hope you're right xfan, at this point I'd take a 9-9 finish in BE play.

13. HoosierPal

HoosierPal Member

Money:
    $52
    Tyler was exposed pretty bad the next NCAA game against St. Louis.

Lewis, Tyler g 3-9 0-1 2-2 0 1 1 2 8 6 7 0 0 26 That was 7 TO's with 6 Assists

14. palefire

palefire New Member

Money:
    $5
    On and Off

It may sound off because it is not written from within the Butler fan community, but from a fan of a player who just joined Butler.

I don't know what is strange about saying I haven't seen Buter on TV. With the exception of that tournament early in the season their games haven't been on National TV as far as I know.

He looks more bulky than he did at NC State, and certainly more so than his high school clips, which is all there was to see throughout his red shirt year last year.

Finally, I have wondered what "something is off" might mean.

What nefarious motive would lead someone to write my original post? I can't figure out what it would be--it asked a genuine question. The answers were for the most part excellent.

15. palefire

palefire New Member

Money:
    $5
    I don't understand what was off about my original post. Maybe it was strange coming from outside the Butler community. But if it wasn't on the up and up, then what could its agenda have been? I was neither hyping nor trashing Lewis. Just looking for some insight. Which I got a great deal of, including from your post. He is outmatched on defense, and cant block out his players. That sounds true. Still, where was the guy who was such a superstar dribbler and passer, a kind of Pete Maravich meets Steve Nash The best remarks, though, were the observation that he is at his best pushing the break. That is where he is most creative. I also get the feeling that he would thrive in a pick and roll and offense, but that is not what Butler runs, as far as I can tell.

16. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    Butler has been on national TV for all but one game this year, and the one game that wasn't was on the Fox Sports regional system, so was available for most of the nation. Most games are broadcast on Fox Sports 1 or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,780
    Lmao. When was he ever anywhere close to deserving these comparisons?

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    In the highschool videos I have watched Lewis was a magician with the ball in his hands leading the break with players that could finish against lesser skilled teams. He and his dad have been vilified on here for him being a McD and for being a top 50 recruit ( sorry for offending a certain someone for bringing rankings up). He has been criticized for being too small, bad defender, not blocking out, not hitting threes and bad teeth. His only salvation in life is if he were on a mid major team.

Is it his fault we can't get rebounds so he can lead the break? Is it his fault that two players go one on one and the rest stand around? Is it his fault that guys can't finish? Is it his fault the team can't play good team defense? Must be.

From what I understand he transferred to Butler because he wanted this school, this team and these coaches- Miller and Holtman. I'm thrilled he picked Butler because not many players have the past five years and stayed.

19. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $512
    Haha salt for me saying I wish Mack would've offered him a walk on spot while saying I loved Barlow?

I thought he was more than a good player but the true glue guy for you all last year. I'm sure you can even see my old posts saying without him I don't think butler will be as good...he was so quick laterally that it helped really tighten butlers defense.

20. palefire

palefire New Member

Money:
    $5
    I asked the question about Lewis just when got his concussion--the details of which I have not heard reported. At any rate a very unfortunate turn of events. In the meantime I am left with the same circumstances I was in last season--looking around for tidbits of footage or news regarding Lewis. And I came upon that terribe clip of his being held by a Xavier player who was sitting on a bench. A tiny clip. Lewis racing for the ball, falling into the opposing team's bench and then - "help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" - struggling to free himself. Such a ferocious, brief but epic struggle! I can not believe there was no fine for that.

https://twitter.com/THicksBH/status/683371902472208384

Seeing it reminded me of some of the things about Lewis I really enjoy--his tenacity and quickness combined with something else, some almost Buster Keaton quality to his movements. Even a bit of Chaplin. The little man fighting against bullies. Heroic! Also, upon seeing footage of Bob Cousy apropos of the NBA all time rankings, I see an echo there, as well.