Wish some folks would think twice before retweeting, tagging players & coaches

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BUcheer, Jan 9, 2022.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,029
    @deadboltwillie

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll shake your head. But it's all in fun, right?

ButlerFan89, Tentozen and BoyGeoff like this.
  2. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,013
    Willis may be a lot of things, depending on your perspective, but he never runs from who he is. I think that’s refreshing.

ButlerFan89, iluvsnow, jeff and 4 others like this.
  3. Jimmy Lafakis

Jimmy Lafakis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $940
    There are some people out there who need to chill. AT is doing what he can to lead. He’s been an important piece ever since he stepped on campus. He doesn’t get enough credit for what he does well.

4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
  5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Butler Hoops is Twitter - just smaller. The bullying is like on Twitter.

ButlerProf and ButlerFan89 like this.
  6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    Look, I like Willis’ temperament. I think there’s a really good chance that if I knew the guy I’d be friends with him.

This is a hard claim to make about a guy who claims to be a moderate though, and says and does nothing except things aligned with right wing talking points. And that’s okay-they just aren’t moderate.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BNiche, 2xDawg and PSUButlerFan like this.
  7. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,406
    I never understood the AT criticism. Yes he is a poor shooter. But he is sooo much better driving, finishing, and distributing than he was in years 1-3. I’m pretty sure plenty of people shat on Rose for not developing anything more than a floater but I think both knew that development would be more productive elsewhere. Sometimes a shot is just too broke.

A lot of people talk about his constant dribbling but what he is doing is probing the defense looking for a hole. If you are going to criticize, then focus your attention to others who aren’t cutting and are just standing. Need I remind people what our offense looked like last year without him? We’d be lucky to pass it 3 times a possession.

Now if you HAVE to criticize something, his FTs are fair game IMO. Otherwise, it’s the overall structure of LJs offense.

8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,283
    If shooting were the only important skill in basketball the criticism would be warranted.

In reality, however, the ability to shoot is not inherently good or bad. What matters is how much you are able to contribute to your team being better than the other team. Aaron Thompson excels at that!

One could excel at helping his team win by being the best defensive player ever with no offensive skill whatsoever-but that’s not even an accurate depiction of Thompson. Aaron Thompson is a great defensive player and also a *good* offensive player.

Despite the complete inability to make jump shots, he is still the third most efficient scorer we have behind Golden and Groce. Even when you factor foul shooting into scoring efficiency he is still more effective than Harris. And get this, scoring is his weakness!

He has the 43rd highest assist rate in the entire country and second in the Big East!! He’s among the very, very best at setting up his teammates even though his teammates can’t score!

So, if you want to criticize Aaron Thompson, you have that right. But if you feel the need to do that, you can save us all a bunch of time and just post the message “I don’t know anything about basketball” because either message communicates the same thing.

9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I was critical of Jones not being able to shoot a jump shot as well as AT. Both criticisms were wrong of me. I once read that Jones had something happen to him as a child that may have impacted his ability to shoot a jump shot and consequently he developed a floater. It’s not my place to criticize why someone can’t do something. If anyone should know better it would be me. The biggest reason why I didn’t go as far as I wanted in basketball had much to do with a factor totally out of my control. I had a compound fracture of my left arm when I was eleven years old. The operation required plates and screws to put the bones back in place and nearly a year of recovery which caused severe atrophy. As good a player as I was I had difficulties dribbling left handed which held me back from being the player I wanted to be. However I was the number two singles tennis player for four years at Butler. My inability to fully use my left arm had zero effect on my tennis game. In the end none of us know what crutches other people need to get through life.

2xDawg and Danville Bulldog like this.
  10. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $623
    You are perfectly right. No one should be critical of a person's disability, in terms of their humanity. Only a jackass would think of you as a lesser human because your severe atrophy.

The thing is....absolutely no one is doing that. They are being critical of players ability to play basketball on a college basketball (centric) board. OF COURSE, you are to be critical of the players. That is the function of the board, it is the other side of the 'praise' coin.

I vote for better basketball players so that side can be used more.

11. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,796
    I think its fair to say criticism on social media and this board have a distinction. While some stuff on this board has gone too far, it’s a mostly closed community. The stupid stuff posted on social media (including replies on player’s accounts) gets broader viewing and is IMO more damaging to the program and player involved because it’s so public.

znelson15 and dawgs2014 like this.
  12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,283
    Also the stuff that goes too far here usually gets called out as such.

BUcheer and BoyGeoff like this.
  13. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,349
    As someone who has closed multiple bars with Willis, I can attest that it is indeed a good time. I would say his politics are more right of center than many on this board, but he is nothing but authentically who he is and unlike others these days he has an open mind and is rather easy-going. I've long said, that social media is exasperating the country's divide because people aren't getting together and exchanging ideas at the bar and whatnot.

He's also dating way out of his league and I can't explain his man-love for Clay Travis. I don't care about his politics, Clay is a douchebag who likes to get off on being a contrarian and hearing himself speak. And yet, if Willis is coming through Nashville, I'd move heaven and earth to find a dive bar for a few drinks and some of the best people-viewing you'll ever enjoy.

BNiche, ButlerNut, 2xDawg and 3 others like this.
  14. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $942
    I mean, Willis had had his twitter handle in his signature literally as long as I can remember, which was probably back on the old board. Willis may rub people the wrong way (generally he doesn't bother me even when I disagree), but he's not hiding his opinions haha

2xDawg, shoeevv and estar20dawg like this.
  15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,283
    Maybe that’s what his politics actually are. I can’t say for sure. But the things he says *are* parroted right wing talking points or misinformation.

Do I think he’s a January 6 looney toon right winger? No I don’t. Do I think he realizes that some of to a lot of Fox News is theater? Yes I do. But that doesn’t mean that anything he says is indicative of him being a moderate.

And I’m explicitly trying to make this point in a non critical manner. I don’t care what his politics are. I’d definitely agree to grab a drink with the dude. I just don’t think saying you’re one thing and doing another is like unapologetically being yourself.

16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,029
    FWIW you did introduce me to the hottest dive waitress ever, so, I'll forever be in your debt for that.

Also FWIW...I liked Outkick the Coverage with the whole crew on fox sports radio. That was a clown show. Now I rarely listen to Clay anymore and I find Outkick entertaining at times but the on air guys are ugh (including Dakich). I've stayed listening to FSR which has the best daily lineup I feel of all radio/streaming options. And their night/overnight shows for night owls are hilarious. I'll still retweet some things or read some content I agree with for sure.

Also, appreciate the kind words. Soon enough I'll be back in your hood, hopefully, because Nashville is a riot.

znelson15 likes this.
  17. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,603
    Agreed. At the very least, I like to think that we keep each other honest here whenever we post on this thread. Bringing a debate or sharing a thought is the life blood of a message forum, but if you’re gonna post a hot take on here for all to see, then you better be ready to own it, good or bad. I know I’ve made at least one negative comment about Aaron Thomson’s shooting before, I mentioned it because I get frustrated about the effect it can have on the offense, but never did I want to imply that it makes him a bad player. He’s smart, savvy and he works hard; it’s not his fault when other people’s shots aren’t falling in.

2xDawg likes this.
  18. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,406
    I think we can all agree that him taking 3s is NOT a good offense, and he shot 4 of those last Friday (albeit at the end of a shot clock but LJ can’t let that happen)

19. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,796
    Yeah guys giving the ball back to him on the perimeter with the clock expiring need to have a different strategy. Or be streaking to the basket for him to pass back to. Some of the passes to guys late in the clock who should not have the ball in that position are baffling. Not saying it’s AT who is doing that though.

Tentozen likes this.
  20. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,582
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022