Women's Coach Beth Couture Fired

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    [tweet]459051882850549761[/tweet]

2. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    .500 record this past season, 10-8 in the BE. Interesting fire

3. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Barry put out a press release yet?

4. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    Per Zak Keefer, "The culture just isn't very good. Nobody was happy." according to a former Butler women's basketball player.

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    There were some big time problems there.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,650
    That should give comfort to those who believe Miller was/is the wrong guy.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  7. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    What's interesting, is the comment about culture. Ironically, there are four players transferring from the women's team, which matches the same number of transfers from the men's team this year (not including Volovic). I understand the difference here is that Couture has been the coach the whole time and that Miller should be given an adjustment period, but you have to wonder if there is something much bigger at play here that is leading to this kind of "culture" across both programs.

8. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,994
    Oh no, my namesake is gone. Oh well.

4 this year, 14 in the last 4 years. I don't know if any of you read some of the scathing remarks last week from the departing players, but I sort of had a feeling this was coming. It was bad...bleak. Borderline abusive.

For the record, no relation.

9. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    http://thebutlercollegian.com/2014/04/former-players-allege-verbal-abuse-mistreatment/

10. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $749
  11. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $116
    I'm glad.

12. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    Saw this in the Collegian this week. Kids today are soft.

13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    story not so concerning. document given to athletic director is.

14. HoopcastTomich

HoopcastTomich Member

Money:
    $25
    I have been around the program of the womens team and I never saw half of this. Granted some of the stuff was before I was at Butler. I talk to plenty of managers and other players who said the article was a little over the top. I think some of the anonymous were players mad about playing time. I never once saw her verbally abuse the players at practice. Was she an average coach yes or below average yes. Was she anything abusive like the Rutgers coach a few yrs back no. She did have incidents along the lines of the article from the collegian a few yrs back I guess but it was brought to Barry's attention and she adjusted. I dont think she should have been fired for the article but for her coaching because they just let her average coaching proceed for years. The program is now losing some of its best players including Liz Stratman who I think won BE defensive player

15. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,141
    Have to wonder to what degree, if any, her battle with breast cancer affected the University's approach to disciplining her? I can see them needing to tread carefully there.

16. HoopcastTomich

HoopcastTomich Member

Money:
    $25
    I think they didnt want to fire her because she never did "bad enough" to get fired with her record. She was just good enough where they wouldnt have to fire her and I heard that she was one of the lowest paid coaches so Butler was just too cheap to fire her because they might have to get someone who actually wanted a decent salary for coaching. I could also see your point of her battle cancer affecting it though as well.

17. BGDawgFan

BGDawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $124
  18. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Kyle Neddenriep @KyleNeddenriep ยท 1h
    Pike girls basketball shooting guard Tyana Robinson (2016) is on an unofficial visit to Butler today.

--------

Why do I get the feeling Butler Womens Basketball is going to be extremely good fairly soon.....

19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,779
    Damon Bailey?

20. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,240
    I mean he was some of these girls aau coach but I randomly saw on twitter some stat saying there was an absurd amount of talent in the IN 2015? class like 2007 IN boys class.