Worth The Risk Playing Hoosiers?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by wazthree, Jan 18, 2017.

1. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    should Butler stop playing the Hoosiers? If you lose it will be a bad loss in the eyes of the committee and if you win it is still a drag on SOS. :D

LA-OC-IE, Bulldawg, pappyball and 2 others like this.
  2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,528
  3. Colin Taylor

Colin Taylor Active Member

Money:
    $236
    To make matters worse...OG just hurt his knee on a non contact play

Sent from my LG-H910 using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    Sadly we blew it after a pretty incredible comeback. Is it bad I was sort of cheering for IU so that they can salvage what is left of their ****ty season and RPI, ONLY because it benefits Butler.

5. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $199
    CLEARLY the pedigree for college basketball is Big East....esp such states as IN, OH, PA, NE, NY, NJ.
    If the 4th or 5th best team in the state of Indiana (I wonder how the Hoos would fare in Terrible Haute) should focus their efforts on the CBS Sports classic.....

http://www.insidethehall.com/2016/1...ic-stalls-ius-involvement-in-national-events/

Let's pick up a Big East Big 12 classic....makes perfect sense...round robin 10 years.

6. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,776
    Am I the only one seeing the hindsight irony in this, that ILose is the only unranked team that participated in this event at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    No, that is the entire point of the thread.

pappyball likes this.
  8. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $205
    I say yes, Butler should keep playing IU. Butler should keep beating down the Hoosiers EVERY YEAR so that kids growing up today only remember one true powerhouse basketball program in the state of Indiana, the BUTLER BULLDOGS.

ND football is going through similar issues because they have not won a championship in over two decades. Today, recruits only remember championships from the likes of Alabama, OSU, Clemson, FSU, Auburn, OU, Florida, and so on. And these recruits want to go to these schools to win championships and turn pro.

IU basketball is irrelevant in the state of Indiana, it's the 5th best program in the state (Butler, Purdue, ND, and Valpo are all better). So sad to write this for a kid that grew up in southern Indiana around B-Town watching Knight's teams win national championships, graduate players, and give back to the community and university.

9. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $213
    I think the comments to that article gave me cancer. I realize they were made prior to the game (mostly because they were writing us off as an easy W), but to suggest that Butler as a program is a waste of a scheduled game and that they would rather pick up more cupcakes...

10. Dawgs4Life

Dawgs4Life Active Member

Money:
    $133
    While the intent of the article is obvious, I actually liked the way Glass handled the questions. In short, he basically praised the Crossroads while at the same time saying he'd love to be in the CBS sports classic as well. He has every right (and it's his job) to explore ways that allow for his program to participate in both events. Some of the verbiage used seemed to imply the Crossroads was a drag for IU but overall I couldn't complain about what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,528
    Glass is in fantasy land if he thinks 1 final four in the past 2 decades makes you elite. I do think at some point they can and will regain their past status, just not in the near future. Sampson tarnished the program and set it way back to a point that makes it difficult to recover. IU and BU are currently moving in different directions at present. I'm not saying BU is elite yet but we are certainly gaining respect. The landscape of college basketball is ever changing. That said I still believe the Crossroad Classic is a national event year in and year out. If IU thinks they are too important to participate, then pi$$ on them.

12. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    I do so enjoy reading all the comments in that article...my god the arrogance and thinking that IU is the center of the universe. I wish I could have a word with all of those idiots who think they know anything about college basketball right now where the only 1 of the 4 CC teams that is a bubble team is the "blue blood" Hoosiers. There is a handful of actual smart fans drowned out by the overwhelming stupidity of the masses. Highly recommend if you need a good laugh...

13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084

What they need to do is put the games on a more national network than BTN...

14. btlrblldg

btlrblldg Active Member

Money:
    $382
  15. BullDawg2789

BullDawg2789 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $609
    Absolutely. The only reason the game in December wasn't a real "national audience" was because nobody wants to buy IU's conference channel.

estar20dawg likes this.
  16. noltar

noltar Active Member

Money:
    $286
    Being the national game on CBS when Butler beat them as #1 four years ago was a nice cherry on top of the sundae.

To go along with your comment, I was texting a buddy last night that's an IU fan and he couldn't even watch the game from his hotel 10 minutes away from LaGuardia because it didn't get BTN. Wasn't the entire point of picking up Rutgers to get a tentacle in the NYC market? :p

17. Dawgs4Life

Dawgs4Life Active Member

Money:
    $133
    What's the context of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,238
    "The cash spigot that is the Big Ten Network continues to pay huge dividends, especially since Rutgers and Maryland joined the league. In the fiscal year that ended in June 2015, according to USA Today, the Big Ten distributed $32.4 million to member schools that had full shares (Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland did not). The money is about to go up, up, up."

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/140812/coaches-revenues-pushing-big-ten-toward-top

For being a channel that no one wants to buy and isn't in the NYC market, it sure does generate a lot of money... good thing we got that Big East money...

19. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,119
    The Purdue game was not on BTN, it was broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2

20. noltar

noltar Active Member

Money:
    $286
    "The league’s new TV deal kicks in later this year, a reported $2.6 billion package over six years. The Cedar Rapids-Gazette reported that per-school payouts are conservatively estimated to top $43 million in 2017-18 and could top out at $54 million per school at the end of the contract."

I hope that's a good sign for a renewed deal with the BE considering Fox owns the majority of the BTN. We'll see though if the bubble has burst for network deals for sports, given the way cable is losing subscribers.