Would You Rather...

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Mar 31, 2020.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,038
    I'm sure someone's posed this question before, but would you trade a Pitt loss in 2011 for a win against Duke in 2010? Meaning, would you give up the 2011 run for a 2010 championship?

I'm torn on this. On one hand, a National Championship is the ultimate goal. So it seems weird to say you wouldn't trade something for it.

But on the other hand, I think Butler making back-to-back Final Fours said more about Butler than making one and winning it all. It meant Butler couldn't have been labeled a flash-in-the-pan.

What do people think?

2. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,711
    Two National Championships in a row prove you are no flash in the pan. A lot of schools would kill for what Butler has done over the last 20 years.

cornette33 and Tentozen like this.
  3. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,711
    I meant two National Championship games in a row. Sorry.

Tentozen likes this.
  4. Bernie44

Bernie44 Member

Money:
    $140
    Back to back final game is a statement maker. Obviously, 2 Championship wins would have been the best but would accept the 2010 Duke loss (ultra close game and given very little chance to win) if guaranteed the 2011 Championship.

cornette33 likes this.
  5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,655
    I’d go for the Duke win and Pitt loss. National Championship in Indy over Duke - wow. The second national championship game was embarrassing.

mwall787 and SnoopDawg like this.
  6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    I’d take the championship, but it’s an interesting question.

The 2011 run did sort of validate the 2010 run and gave the program a whole new wave of exposure, and there was a ton of value in that.

But if Butler beats Duke in 2010, it’s one of the greatest sports stories ever told.

jarik, ButlerNut, bwesson15 and 4 others like this.
  7. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,535
    Please change this to “loss to ODU or Wisconsin” in 2011. No one should EVER choose to have a loss to Pitt. That’s just unacceptable.

ButlerNut and Staxawax like this.
  8. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,038
    Ha! It was just the game we were luckiest to survive.

But it did give us, “What’s your GPA?”

bmradio99, jeff, BulldogsFTW and 6 others like this.
  9. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,679
    Even setting aside my intense dislike of all things related to Duke basketball, I'd take the title in a heartbeat.

It would've been one of the greatest stories in the history of the sport, up there with Texas Western's title run in '66.

#60 and Insane Dawg like this.
  10. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,878
    Win over Duke. There’d be a movie—30 for 30 at a minimum. Would get talked about for eternity. The $$$ that would have flooded BU and the basketball program would have been a game changer ahead of the BE upgrade.

And dare I say—kept Brad around longer.

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    Butler could’ve won it all in 2010 and 2011, doubled Brad’s pay, built a stand-alone practice facility, and had a full time masseuse on staff in Hinkle and he still would’ve taken the Celtics job.

12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,873
    Take the title in 2010. After the loss to YSU, nobody expected anything in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

13. BUcheer

Money:
    $5,878
    Maybe. Maybe not. I know the NBA intrigued him, but the influx of money would certainly have helped with many of things that didn't appeal to him about the college situation.

14. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,859
    I didn’t think about it even for a second...I’d take the win over Duke. Especially if it was won by Hayward from half court. It’d be the greatest moment in sports history

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014 and PharmDDawg like this.
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    He'd still have had to recruit against 100 schools willing to cheat.

16. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $756
    Interesting question, but as the ESPN story said yesterday, I think that first run was magical enough. 2011 proved it all wasn't a fluke. I'll keep it as is, as painful as it is to hear "Oh..It almost went in" again and again and again. George Mason and VCU went to Final Fours, but didn't win in realignment. Going to two means something more.

17. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,837
    2010 title for many reasons. But one that really irks me—in hindsight, we had the best player and better team than Duke, so while it felt like we were playing Goliath, we actually had the goods. By contrast in 2011 we were up against Kemba.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Insane Dawg likes this.
  18. BUcheer

Money:
    $5,878
    True. But that recruiting would have been made more palatable with $$$ and the cachet of a title.

seadawg likes this.
  19. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $816
    If 2010 win means Gordon's shot goes in, then this is a no-brainer. Butler's win become greatest NCAAT moment that is replayed and re-lived long after we're gone.

seadawg likes this.
  20. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,183
    You take the title and there is no hesitation in my mind - even getting one national title would mean the world to I'd say 95%+ of the programs in D1 at the moment, so any time you have a scenario where it gets you a title, you take it. On top of that, there's the fact that if everything plays out the same in the game that Gordon Hayward would have ended up hitting the greatest shot in college basketball history. There was the forgotten story of Butler being the closest a school has ever had to travel to play in the Final Four, so imaging being able to win a national championship in your hometown. The run as a whole put Butler on the map nationally, grew the school so much from an academic standpoint, and genuinely felt like an entire country was behind us, so being able to cap all that with a title would have been nuts. Finally, considering what campus was like after every game in the run, just picture for any students that were there at the time what it would have been like if we had won.

BUcheer and seadawg like this.