Would You Rather...

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Mar 31, 2020.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,969
    I just don’t think we were ever George Mason. We had been consistently good to very good for 7-8 years prior and then we were good after except 2011. I think that’s the bigger difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Active Member

Money:
    $455
    If Butler wins the 2010 Championship but loses to Old Dominion or Pitt the next year, do we believe they still get an offer to join the Big East?

3. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,969
    Definitely. We’re we less successful or less than a name than Creighton or x if that happens? Not even remotely close.

nicklas_early likes this.
  4. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,430
    I take the championship. They made the tournament the following year (and, I'll note, were probably over-seeded at 8...that was some high-major inflation going on), which is key. I think a harder Q for me is "do you take the 'ship in 2010 and miss the 2011 tournament?"

5. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $827
    A Sonbog sighting!!

Tentozen, BoyGeoff and DawgsMD like this.
  6. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $756
    It’s widely known Creighton got in because of its ties to Marquette - and was easily the #3 of the 3. X was in before Butler and was seen as a higher level program when the three entered. So, yes, X would’ve been the only one if they decided to go 8 instead of 10. Butler was a clear #2, and they had to pair that with someone to get to 10 - Creighton won that battle with several other “markets” not “programs.”

7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,873
    Nice bait, 2014. Think he bites? Or, “we’re” you just hopped up on goofballs when you posted that?

8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,969
    Ahhh the perils of writing on a iPhone.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,969
    Okay let’s take this at face value-it seems reasonable. Would Xavier have been seen as a higher level program had we WON the national championship? 2003-2012 we went to the NCAA Tourney 6 times advancing to the sweet 16 twice, with one NC. Xavier went 8 times advancing to the S16 3 times and Elite 8 twice. I think you can make an argument either way, but there’s little doubt any conference would want us during realignment had we won a NC. If we win a NC there’s dramatically more casual interest in how we perform in seasons after because it’s truly a storyline either way.

10. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,757
    Since this thread is all about the tournament run, here's Matt Howard talking about it.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,535
    Huh?? Butler went to the Sweet 16 4x in that timeframe. In 03, in 07, in 10 and in 11.

12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,969
    I’m listing round of elimination, and in an effort to communicate that we would have been no less attractive to new conferences had we won in 10 and not made a deep run in 10, considering the hypothetical prestige of winning the championship in 2010 and losing to pitt in 11. In that scenario we don’t make the s16 in 11.

13. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $756
    Any conference? Butler had to make a play to parlay it into the A-10. The Big Ten and ACC were not banging down our door, and neither was the Big East until MAJOR realignment.

14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,969
    I think you really missed the point, and I think you did it intentionally.

15. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,535
    Speaking of... this is cool. Who can name them all??

24FC7405-58A8-4E30-8FF3-E71693D3E08D.png

Shimmy and #60 like this.
  16. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,535
    I made it bigger

18C81E59-681C-4908-A908-82357863E129.png

ButlerNut likes this.
  17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,135
    Your question might have been rhetorical, but oh well.

Nored-Kampen-Butcher-Stevens-Shrewsberry

Hayward-Mack-VanZant-Graves-Archey

Veasley-Jukes-Hahn-Howard-Johnson

Rodgers-Anglin-Leiendecker

18. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,288
    That would of been amazing to listen to. I bet they had great stories. Just listened to a Zoom conference with Bills GM Brandon Beane. Neat.

19. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,878
    Not pictured, but Chase is obviously Chase Stigall. And if anyone on this board couldn’t name them all—hand over your BU fan card.

20. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,757
    Ten years ago today. Downtown Indy. That game is still tough to watch, and I still want that shot to fall. (I mean the one over Zoubek with 6 seconds to go, the one that Gordon says is the one he hits all the time.)

Such a great run for the Dawgs. Such a great story. I have been a Dawg for many years before that, and I will be a Dawg for life. Thanks for the memories, 2009-2010 Butler Bulldogs!

PSUButlerFan, BUcheer and seadawg like this.