Xavier (11-4, 4-4) vs Butler (7-12, 6-10), Sunday, 2/21, 7:00 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 18, 2021.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,188
    Game Thread

2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $894
    Xavier starting to get a little desperate for a win, and at this point, Butler's players know there's nothing really left to play for. Whatever the line is, I'd put it on Xavier, especially in the 1st half.

Butler may try hard for a bit, but their mental state as a team is so fragile right now, it's really only a matter of time before it turns into a blowout.

Honestly looking forward to the offseason, and I'm sure the guys are too, wherever they all wind up at.

IrishDawghouse likes this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,364
    Who......cares? for 1000, Alex.

Half the team is injured, the other half have mailed it in and seem to be quite disgruntled. Line doesn't matter to me, taking X all day long.

4. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $494
    I moved to Cincinnati a few years ago and interact with Xavier students, staff, and fans on a regular basis. I was quite surprised to find that they don’t regard Butler as a rival. When I tell them that I went to school of X’s nemesis, Butler is never even the first 5 schools they guess. Happens all the time. Many students regard Nova, Marquette, and Creighton as bigger rivals than Butler in the BE. I thought that was very interesting when I got here compared to how much we all hate X.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,317
    My ex gf went to Xavier and said the same thing.

ButlerNut likes this.
  6. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,245
    A comparable situation to the Bengals and Steelers, I presume. When one team dominates the other for so long (iirc Xavier had Butlers number in old conference back in the day), it’s more little brother big brother and the big brother tends not to see the same rivalry. Bengals fans hate the Steelers but most of my friends who are Steelers fans see the Ravens more as rivals compared to the Bengals since, well, they’ve dominated the Bengals for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

AZRPh and pjohnsto2003 like this.
  7. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,317
    Wait Steelers fans don’t view the Browns as rivals? Serious question.

8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,862
    Not my experience at all, for whatever that’s worth.

IrishDawghouse, bmradio99 and huss587 like this.
  9. huss587

huss587 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $464
    My experiences at games when hordes of X fans infest Hinkle, would suggest otherwise... They generally seem pretty hateful towards us ha. But, I’ve never had much interaction with X fans outside of that.

My mom’s family are huge Steeler fans, so part of your comparison makes sense to me. Except the Ravens fans hate the Steelers back. Do any of those other schools originally mentioned view X as a rival? I have no idea, but I’d at least imagine we’re a bigger thorn in Nova’s side than X... They’ve dominated X for many years and we’ve had relative success vs Nova.

Marquette probably hates everyone. Outside of Georgetown, they’ve been the biggest flop in the realigned BE IMO. Creighton - .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,988
    Xavier rivals:
    Record vs Nova 6-30. Dictionary definition of a rivalry (have yet to play this season & don't unless a reschedule)
    vs Marquette 25-53 all time. 10-7 in Big East. (1 game remaining)
    vs Creighton 15-13 all time. 8-10 in Big East. (1 game remaining)

vs Cinci post the 80's 24-16. 34-47 all time

vs Butler 41-22 all time. 11-6 in Big East. LaVall's record vs Xavier is 3-4. If anything, you would think they would want to consider us a rival just for winning's sake.

AZRPh, huss587 and ButlerNut like this.
  11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,988
    Butler's record when...
    Opponent scores greater than or equal to 65 in regulation: 1-11
    Opponent scores greater than or equal to 60 in regulation: 3-1
    less than 60: 3-0

Think positive. Hopefully, Nze can be healthy for the game. Aaron Thompson has gotta do a better job on Scruggs this game. Gotta cut off the head of the snake. Some off ball recognition and on ball defense on the best 3 point shooter in the Nation, aka Nate Johnson, would be much appreciated this time. Do those two things and we'll be competitive. Stay hydrated. Carpe beer. And go bulldogs.

12. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $894
    They look at Butler the same way we would look at Valpo, Indiana State, Ball State or Evansville.

I think Cincy would see them as a rival, but I've never actually met a Cincinnati fan. I have interacted with Xavier grads in various situations and my experience runs the gamut from very pleasant to abhorrent.

13. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,245
    Xavier and Cinci have some bad blood, have for years. And I’d say the Steelers fans I know think of the browns as rivals. Again probably more so than the Bengals.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,317
    I was gonna say-as a browns fan I’d be humiliated if the Steelers didn’t care like at all.

Clevedog likes this.
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,862
    Oh come on man.

16. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $941
    This is the most inane beginning ever to a Game Thread. Who cares what X fans think about Butler?

Let's talk about the game and the matchup please.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. dawg767

Money:
    $941
    Note: Last post was not serious. Please continue discussing anything but the game.

18. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,317
    Where do you guys get your hair cut?

19. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $494
    They are a pretty rowdy fan base to begin with. Since we are the closest BE school and easiest to travel to, I assume everyone circles that on their calendar for their “annual away game” and yes they are complete asshats when they visit Hinkle. However, I know for a fact this year they all wanted to go to Hinkle since they were only allowing 300 fans in Cintas at the time. They got approved last week to allow 1,000 fans attend the remaining games. I just had a conversation about it with a patient last week. In terms of rivals, they have bad blood with Cincinnati ever since that brawl. And detest Dayton and OSU as well.

20. dawg767

Money:
    $941
    Depends on where the hair resides, at least for me. I have 2 different groomers in different locations. I hope this answers your question. DM me for details if you happen to be in Denver metro area.