Xavier Musketeers (10-2, 3-2) at Butler Bulldogs (5-8, 4-6), Saturday, 1/30, 5:30 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 28, 2021.

1. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,242
    Pitiful effort. Also, almost punched a Xavier fan after the game. Par for the course.

ButlerNut and bmradio99 like this.
  2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $936
    If this team can develop an identity by year's end, that would be a positive. Other than just being really bad on offense for 30 minutes and really bad on defense for 20-25 minutes, they don't have really anything they do consistently well.

Also, Butler really needs to get physical in practices. The fact that the guards are better at finishing in the paint than their bigs is an indictment on the coaching staff.

BNiche, ButlerNut, znelson15 and 2 others like this.
  3. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,890
    Agreed. I braced myself for the fact that we wouldn’t be very good this year. But two things that are still really frustrating:
    1.) We don’t have an identity. (Announcers will say it’s defense, but I feel like that’s just reputation, not reality).

2.) Our team is equal to the exact sum of our parts - no more.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    KCbufan21, BJK and bmradio99 like this.
  4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,266
    Part of that might be the nature of the season - can’t get physical when you don’t have bodies. And also when you can’t risk another injury.

BURph92 likes this.
  5. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,615
    Xavier match up wise is like UConn for us.
    We just can’t compete with the aggressive and physical play.

Out bigs are just all to slow on defense to help and recover and then they have to long of runs were they miss layups and always lose the ball.

Hodges is def the butler player I have missed over the years. Super aggressive and fearless

I do believe lavall is a good coach but he def did not have the team ready and also didn’t make enough adjustments early to get the team rolling

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. BigHoss

BigHoss Active Member

Money:
    $434
    What makes you believe LaVall is a good coach?

7. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $812
    By my count , Golden missed back to back layups in the first half and Nze missed two in the game( one a dunk). I do not expect Golden to consistently hit three's but are layups and put backs too much to ask. That was eight points. When the lead went from 4-9 late in the game I am pretty sure all five Xavier points were by Scruggs and Thompson was not on him in those trips. If my memory is right, how can you not have your top defender on Scruggs? As far as Tate not being in the second half, I wonder with with the changes in rotation, the addition of David, and Hodges, and the extra minutes by JMM, the coach may have lost track of Tate. Just a guess. It is so frustrating to watch how many open three looks other teams get, and how few we get. For the most part Bolden's threes were pretty contested.

bmradio99 likes this.
  8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,262
    BU was sluggish on defense most of the night. X and Scruggs carved up BU like swiss cheese. Looks like JMM may begin to come around. I have no idea if Golden is 100% but his play is simply slow in nearly every facet. Hodges will make a positive difference going forward.

9. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,394
    Next GM give me:

AT
    Bolden
    Tate/Harris
    Bo
    Nze

Starting 5. Really didn't even want to put Nze in there. I don't care about size. Just put the best defense you can out there. Disappointed Tate didn't play much.

Can LJ find some knock down shooters and bigs? I know that Kunkel kid went off but he has a nice shot. Wish we had a couple of guys like that.

RPEye and willisbrown like this.
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,537
    The identity thing is a problem and that's well said. This is a wacked out season with everything so it's definitely a challenge to create that identity. I mean Puke and Kentucky are sucking majorly...although puke us turning it around. Anyway...it's tough sledding and tough to know what to expect with all the variables this year. Saying that, it shows the lack of leadership from the top and being able to organize onn the fly. Our coaching staff just isn't good. They have a month to figure out "who" this team is and now with Hodges maybe that becomes more clear? But this is where you earn your stripes and your paycheck. Find what can work in this god forbidden season where every damn snake is biting.

What you hope is LaVall learns from this. Ultimately you can blame all the challenges so much...but you have to have an answer as a head coach of a power conference team. We weren't built to win this year. But...that doesn't mean you have to fall behind 20 to your rival at home. Fix it dude. It starts next week and God willing he can. He HAS to find an inside presence in the transfer market. He refuses to recruit one...he's gonna have to now. That would complete what should be a very talented roster next season.

11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,994
    Butler's record when...
    Opponent scores greater than or equal to 65 in regulation: 0-8
    Opponent scores greater than or equal to 60 in regulation: 3-1
    less than 60: 2-0

Team can't score. So I guess you could try to keep jamming a square peg in a round hole by playing Golden/Nze/JMM together at the 4 & 5 or you could try to space the floor a bit more now with Hodges and Christian David?

12. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,385
    And not that I think Steele is a genius but Lavall quickly subbed Bolden back in and they went back to man to man. Those are the little nuances that I wonder if LJ will ever pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

willisbrown likes this.
  13. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,607
    The offense is broken. Likely cause is a bunch of new players and a lack of time to really gel. L’s are L’s, but this year was always going to be the “transition” year.

14. Baseline

Baseline Well-Known Member

Money:
    $694
    VERY disappointed in the playing time for Harris and Tate. LJ is going to screw around and cause those guys to transfer. I'm sorry but you don't immediately stick a guy out there who just became eligible today. He clearly isn't in game shape.

15. Baseline

Money:
    $694
    We aren't making the tournament. No way on God's green earth.

16. Baseline

Money:
    $694
    I don't know what else they can do this year. We don't have Big East quality bigs. We have ONE good 3 pt shooter. It also doesn't help any future development when their only offense is AT dribbling around until he weaves a path to the basket. He DOES some amazing things but other teams are figuring him out and it isn't getting other guys involved.

17. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,938
    When that play happened, I said, "that's the game".

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

HoosierDawg likes this.
  18. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,938
    I'm not sure which was more pathetic, Butler on the court or the X fans in the bathroom after the game.

In any event, I blame Butler for both. Very disappointing effort. We can't score worth a damn.

I really enjoyed what Bo brings, but he came here to get better shooting from the perimeter and that hasn't happened, yet.

I don't know how Butler fans behaved in Cintas after our win there last year, but I hope it wasn't like them in Hinkle tonight.

I know this is a rough year, but things need to start improving soon.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

willisbrown and bmradio99 like this.
  19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,262
    Give Kunkel credit for hustling back on defense. In fairness Harris never seen him. He has proved to be a great addition for X. Yet another bitter pill to swallow. I doubt many of the new BU players quite understand the history of the rivalry, but they soon will. Hating X is a way of life for BU fans.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  20. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,284
    I think the reference was X would be playing in Hinkle.

Even if Dawgs made tournament (agree with you they won’t), I can’t see NCAA giving Dawgs a true home game

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app