Xavier Musketeers (10-2, 3-2) at Butler Bulldogs (5-8, 4-6), Saturday, 1/30, 5:30 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,712
    Really? He’s practiced with this team all season. He didn’t appear to me to not be in shape. Obviously the cramps late caused him not to play. But I think LJ thought Harris and Tate were a little overwhelmed. They’re not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,434
    It's confirmation bias.

No one is doing anything differently from anyone else. Referees miss calls sometimes. Sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it doesn't, but it basically evens out in the end.

3. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $924
    They did go on an 11-0 run to close within 6 in the second half. Then clang, clang, clang went the offense. You can only get so many stops....and missing those inside shots. Ouch! We did not get our fair share of 2nd chance opportunities either. X cleared the defensive boards all game. I'll buy in that they started slow. I thought the line-up changes in a real game situation were part of that. Thompson injuring his wrist again (if that is what happened) definitely impacted his performance.
    On the bright side, Hodges looked very good!

znelson15 likes this.
  4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,853
    Like last year around this time, we’re seeing timid play around the rim resulting in both missed layups and no chances a the line. Frustrating to watch how gingerly they go to the basket trying to not draw contact. I know we’re often outsized, but it’s like we’re telegraphing softness—go hard young man.

5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,170
    BU's bigs have made poor use of shot fakes and pivot moves. Both have resulted in a lack of fouls accumulating against opposing post players. While BU post player are certainly not the quickest, shying away from contact has proved costly up to this juncture.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  6. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,712
    Um, we got 13 offensive boards. Plenty of 2nd chances. And +7 in turnovers. Those 2 stats gave Butler 16 more shot attempts than X. But yeah, the “at the rim” shooting was atrocious. 5 total points in the last 6:53 of the game..... and 2 of those points were goaltending.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

BoyGeoff, Jared Grubbs and SnoopDawg like this.
  7. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $18,575
    I do think we are doing something different than everyone else though. I don't exactly fully understand what though. I've discussed it before, but Butler's conference FT rate is night and day different from when Holtmann was coaching vs Jordan (oddly enough, IIRC, the non conference rates are not very different). And I think it's something well beyond just the players, because Kelan Martin saw his FT Rate drop 25% after the coaching change, despite taking more shots at the rim than he ever had before. This is not necessarily blaming it on the refs, because there are obviously a lot of other factors that determine offensive and defensive FT rate. I do personally believe that "working the refs" is a coaching skill though, and I wonder if LaVall isn't very good at it.

znelson15, BoyGeoff, jeff and 5 others like this.
  8. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,369
    Harris had 26 minutes off the bench, so that’s not bad. But Tate only playing 11, and even Wilmoth only 5 were a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

johnhardingftw likes this.
  9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,362
    Yes. Hodges has been practicing all season (minus covid time). And I can promise in anticipation of him being cleared, he's had plenty of work with the "first" team or however you want to put it. He was shot out of a cannon last night and yes, went down for a minute with a cramp, was back in about 90 seconds later. He is in fine shape. And that will only get better. Also as I said when we got him and I have said throughout-overall he could very well be the best player on this team when you look at all the factors. He just has a huge effect defensively, finishing and rebounding. He definitely needs to work on his shot but he brings more to the table than anyone else on the active roster not named AT.

As far as the Tate thing last night...I think it was a length+Hodges' effectiveness decision. Tate, only being 6' and a freshman is going to run into match ups that are, right now, overwhelming. Harris has more length and Bo has way more length...so you saw more of them against Xavier. Tate also had two great looks from deep (that first play in the second half looked designed for him) and clanked both...his only effectiveness was going to be from 3 last night and that shot wasn't falling for him. So we went longer...I don't have a problem there. Just don't let it become habit because Tate is going to be special for us and needs his minutes.

Whatever the case it was a shiitey game and an ass whooping by our rivals. Granted they are now....I think 11-2 and very formidable. But we aren't THAT bad to be run off of our court by Xavier. We played a mostly terrible game (looking at you, Golden).

shoeevv, BoyGeoff, Tentozen and 2 others like this.
  10. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,922
    I haven't watched the game on TV, yet, but after looking at the stats and offensive rebounding, it appears the team played hard, maybe even really hard.

The season stats seem to indicate we are the worst shooting team in the league. Here's my question: are we a bad shooting team (that maybe could get better), or are we a team that shoots poorly because our guys are at a physical disadvantage that causes them to shoot poorly. As efficiently as other teams shoot against us, I'm thinking it's the latter because they don't seem to be at all uncomfortable in dealing with us.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,771
    Was clear about a quarter of the way through the game that X's big weakness was defending the paint. Check it out if you still have it on DVR. Like a sieve, if one didn't over dribble too much getting there. Their big kids (Freemantle, et al) aren't that great defending. Was much easier scoring in there then it was hoisting it up from 3. Kudos to Hodges and a couple of others for taking advantage of it, albeit not often enough. The only problem, Butler's defense (of the paint) was even worse. No weak side help, no double teaming on back downs, no defense of the paint, no box outs, no protection of the baseline, on and on. While it's certainly far from the best talent in the Big East there are some decent players on this team. Outside of the brief little run that got them back in the game, their play as a team was embarrassing. Lousy game plan. No in-game adjustments (but then, there haven't been any in four years). Not sure of the incoming class, but Coach may want to recruit a kid or two who can really shoot the ball. Apparently, settling for 3's instead of working for the best shot each possession is a integral part of the Jordan offense.

12. BUdawgsfan04

BUdawgsfan04 Active Member

Money:
    $320
    That is why I hope these seniors don’t stick around for additional year. That would slow the development of the freshman and I could see one or two transfer

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,170
    Statistically Nze was good, but to the naked eye he displayed very little fire. He is capable of more, yet asking him to play in the post is a questionable proposition with his limited height and size. It was like expecting McD to play power forward. Just not sure of other options for BU to turn to.

14. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $543
    At the end of the day Paul Scruggs wasn’t losing that game. Much like Kamar Baldwin wasn’t losing that game in March.

never underestimate senior guards in this conference.

15. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,853
    Jared—why do I recall stats someone compiled last year showing significantly higher FT attempts in the non-conference vs. BE? Which prompted this same conversation re: Vall’s ability to work the ref. He was definitely in their ear last night—I told the person next to me I could see a T coming. I think it’s his youth and even perhaps his lack of swearing? Maybe because they stink at the line, they are just trying to get the ball through the hoop, but carefully slithering between bodies is just resulting in bad looks. Set a tone and go hard. #TGHT

Tentozen, ButlerNut and bmradio99 like this.
  16. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $18,575
  17. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $494
    I read somewhere that many teams have no more than 15 minutes of hard full-contact practice each day due to covid precautions? Rest is just game planning, walk thrus, and skill development.

I believe that was SH’s(?) excuse when they had a player test positive but didn’t have to shutdown.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  18. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $494
    Every game thread has people calling for LaVall to be canned. I’m not a fan of him either and not going to defend his horrid planning or play calling, but I can’t fathom having another 3-4 rebuilding years with a new coach again. **** that! Now if in 2-3 years we don’t get back to the tournament with these newcomers, then I’ll grab my pitchfork and join you. 12 months ago we were ranked highest in school history so everyone sit the **** down.

19. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,922
    I noticed a couple of times toward the end of the first half, when we tried to run some actions to get Jair looks (one on an under basket oob play at about 4:20 left in the half) X was screaming the play from the bench and they shaded an extra defender to take it away. Also, we were not able to make them pay for sending this defender.

I tried to see if I saw us doing the same thing to them and I can't say that I ever noticed it.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

bmradio99, znelson15 and Tentozen like this.
  20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,313
    Friendly reminder that Lavall is our coach bc we don’t have the financial flexibility to throw extra money at the coaching position.

If we did, he would not be our coach.