Zags vs Tarheals

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Staxawax, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,115
    Late to the party since it's 2 hours to game time, but I'm heavily rooting for Gonzaga tonight. If memory serves correctly they are the 4th school from a mid-major conference to make the final four. George Mason and VCU both were finalists but lost their first game (although I think that VCU team could have taken UCONN). And of course the Bulldogs with back-to-back runs but couldn't finish the job. It's time a MM school broke through. I realize their program is far from mid-major but they play in a crappy league. Only St. Mary's and BYU were any type of competition. They will need their best effort to stay with NC but it can be done. Go Zags!
    Edit- I believe UNLV was MM back in the 90's, but it didn't seem like it at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    Right there with you - if they weren't in Spokane Washington they'd probably be in the Big East. UNC might be favored, but the analytics actually favor Gonzaga tonight. Hopefully the number geeks are right tonight.

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,378
    Zags got this one.

4. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,467
    Didn't Utah make the finals in the 1998 as well (even to the championship game)? Pretty sure they were labeled as a MM then.

5. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,006
    Zags looked solid in the first half.

6. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,467
    First half thoughts...

1. If UNC shot this poorly against us, their season would have been over and we would have been in the Elite 8.
    2. Gonzaga is just playing in your face defense. They are giving UNC fits. Part of the reason for #1.
    3. Gonzaga is outrebounding UNC. That is shocking. Was +9 at one point. Now just +1.
    4. If Karnowski gets his shots to fall, Zags win going away.
    5. Carolina 3's just look ugly (partially #2).

7. Staxawax

Money:
    $10,115
    None of this is panning out in the 2nd half. Zags are going to have to hit some shots.

8. Staxawax

Money:
    $10,115
    Not this year MM's.

9. BUdawgsfan04

BUdawgsfan04 Member

Money:
    $180
    That was hard to watch! Collins don't foul out Zags win.

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,378
    NC was 26 of 73 from the floor and won! 44 fouls were called. Atrocious officiating. Not a particularly good national championship game.

11. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $393
    What a **** game all the way around. The refs should be embarrassed by their putrid puke show they spit up tonight. And pretty terrible basketball was played when there weren't fouls called - bricked jumpers, missed layups, dumb turnovers, etc. Not overly entertaining IMO.

12. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,235
    Completely fu cking bullsh it. Refs stole that game away from the Zags. Collins stay in and Zags win. The flagrant on Karnowski is one of the worst calls I have ever seen. Absolute garbage. **** UNC

13. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,138
    The misspelling of Tar Heels on this thread title is going to drive me nuts every time I see it.

Weird thing about the game, though. UNC won shooting 14.8 percent from three, 57.7 percent from the line and 35.6 percent from the floor. Someone told me that wouldn't be possible against Gonzaga. Strange.

bmradio99 and Bulldawg like this.
  14. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $225
  15. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $608
    This is great, we win the national championship and everyone brings up a scandal that has nothing to do with this team. I'm just glad that if Butler couldn't win it all my Heels could do it!

NCJon likes this.
  16. pharmtard09

pharmtard09 Active Member

Money:
    $1
    Really wanted Gonzaga to win, but I'm okay with UNC winning. One more program that now has more titles than the illustrious and storied blue blood program that is IU. Also, 3rd team to win its 4th title since 1987.

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,649
    Can't really expect warm "congrats!" on another team's message board, less so when we're talking about a particularly hate-able program. The scandal may not directly have much to do with the guys on the court, but UNC athletics were essentially a sham for a long time. There's pretty much nothing to like if you're an outsider.

LA-OC-IE, Sidd Finch, huss587 and 2 others like this.
  18. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,467
    I guess there is some solace in knowing that the team that beat us won it all...

19. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,246
    Third time since 2010...

20. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,201
    And fourth since 2007.

Sidd Finch, MSUDawg and DawgsMD like this.