VIP Feature Spotlight: Rearrange Home Page

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $22,211
    It's time for another look at one of the lesser known features here at ButlerHoops.com. This one is exclusive to VIP members (It costs less than $3 a month to become a VIP member. You can see more details here). I promised several weeks ago I would explain how to use this one, and I'm finally getting around to it.

For most VIP members, the homepage will look like this:

Home.png
    This is the current layout I prefer, and I think it is pretty reasonable and works well. Everyone has different preferences though, and depending on how you like to use the website, this might not be your preference. If you are a VIP member you can change this. This is done via the "settings" menu, which can be seen in the gray navigation bar, directly under the "VIP membership" link.

In the settings menu you can do a couple of things with the layout. Start by checking the "enable arranging" box, and the layout menu will open up. The only thing that cannot be changed is the articles framework. Everything around it can be modified. Anything you don't want to show up you can drag and drop to the disabled widgets section at the bottom. You can play around with this to create several different layouts, or simply add or get rid of widgets that you do or do not want.

Below is an example of a custom layout you can create. I know several of you are here for the forums and don't care about the articles. So you can remove the featured slider via the checkbox at the bottom and move recent threads from the sidebar to the middle above the articles. Add profile posts or something else to the sidebar to fill the spots and you get this look instead:

Homealt.png
    As I said, this isn't my preferred look for site visitors, but it very well could be yours if you immediately want to see the newest posts whenever you visit the home page.

If you ever want to reset your homepage back to the default look, simply uncheck the "enable arranging" box and you will see the normal homepage again.

bmradio99 likes this.
  2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    Also, feel free to make suggestions for what widgets you would like to have. Right now the selection is pretty limited. I haven't gotten around to adding a bunch of options. If there is something specific you want, just reply here and I will try to make that one a priority.

3. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,641
    Hey Jared - I don't see the "Settings" menu link in the gray bar as shown in the screenshot above. Is it possible this is an admin-only view?

Attached Files:

Yogi likes this.
  4. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    Sorry, I must have missed this reply earlier. Yes, there was an error in the settings, and it should be fixed now.

bmradio99 likes this.
  5. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,263
    76 alerts since last signing on. Not bad. ;)