UPDATE: ButlerHoops.com Lives, Will Move To Paid Only Memberships

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $22,211
    Well, it's been an interesting last few days. As I'm sure many of you already read, I initially decided to close ButlerHoops earlier this week. Ultimately this was not a popular decision, and the community instantly started reaching out and looking for ways to keep the board alive. If you'd like to look back on that thread you can find it here: https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/future-of-butlerhoops-com.3371/

This has led to an alternative decision. The board will live on, but with 2 major changes:

1) Estar20dawg is going to take over many of the public facing operations of the forum. I simply have not been keeping up with this end, and it was a primary reason for my decision to close the board. Instead I will be passing these duties off . Huge thanks to estar20dawg for stepping up and saving the board! I will continue to manage the behind the scenes maintenance/issues that pop up.

2) The board will be accessible via subscription only beginning approximately 1 week from today. VIP subscriptions prices will cost $1/month or $10/year. You can upgrade to VIP using this link: https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?account/upgrades

The board is going to premium only for a couple of reasons. First, it should make moderation easier. $1/month is insignificant for most users, but is enough of a deterrent to keep out most trolls and spam posts. Second, it will allow us to completely eliminate all ad scripts from the website. These ad scripts, or more commonly the ad blockers that attempt to hide them, are by far the most common causes of website display/access errors that members reach out for support on. Eliminating them will significantly decrease my workload, or allow me to shift that workload to things that are more enjoyable for me, such as building out improvements to the site or participating more directly in the conversations on the board.

All of this is subject to change, but I think it will be a preferable option for almost everything. I appreciate the love and support shown the last few days, and for the last 12 years.

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,271
    Excellent. Even though I had a weekend in the red, I can afford a dollar.

ButlerNut and joliebeth23 like this.
  3. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,668
    This is great news, the most ideal outcome, and I'm glad you get the opportunity to step back from the public facing operations. (Frankly, I'm surprised any one person could last that long in such a role. You're a champ.)

4. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,590
    Would my money be going into the NIL pot?

I'm expecting a sad, slow motion video of all of our targets' mixtapes with Sarah McLachlan playing in the background and Jared narrating how only $10 a year will help give a Butler recruit a good home at Hinkle.

5. noltar

noltar Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,771
    Signed up for annual. Thanks for all the work you do Jared!

The Hound likes this.
  6. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,439
    Subbed. Thanks Jared and Estar for keeping it rolling.

7. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $11,197
    Subbed! Many thanks to all involved.

8. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,163
    Thank you for keeping the forum alive. Very happy to contribute.

9. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,806
    Subbed. I will have to stay out of the red each weekend to make sure we can afford the $10. :)

Sorry about the Reddit mishap; I got confirmation that the subreddit was reported for "copyright violation" - which is interesting. All in all, I am happy to be here instead.

bmradio99 and indienapolis like this.
  10. ButlerFan-in-Knoxville

ButlerFan-in-Knoxville Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $862
    Will other butler sports still have a home there? Would like to see discussions on other sports if an interest. I’m a fan of the women’s and men’s soccer teams but also follow all other sports.

11. wiurillo

wiurillo New Member VIP Member

Money:
    $13
    I signed up for vip and paid but not showing in my account as vip. Help?
    Wiurillo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    Maybe it was delayed? You have the VIP logo showing on your account.

wiurillo likes this.
  13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    I'd love to see discussions for all sports. Feel free to create threads for anything you want to discuss. Right now there is just an "other sports" section for those conversations. If enough people are participating I'd happily give that sport its own subforum.

Several years back when I was attempting to have articles on the site as well I tried getting a few writers for other sports to help cover them. It ultimately didn't end up with heavy interest though.

14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $22,211
    Lol, I want this now!

15. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $418
  16. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $418
    Thank you for scrambling to keep the community alive!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. ButlerFan-in-Knoxville

ButlerFan-in-Knoxville Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $862
    I subscribed. Will the app still be used?

18. @staxdog

@staxdog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $13,952
  19. thevinrod

thevinrod Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,440
    I think I’m still a VIP from last year. Can anyone tell me how to renew?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,475