Future of ButlerHoops.com

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 3, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ap234

ap234 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,390
    Well that’s a bummer but thanks for starting this board in the first place. So what should we turn to now to talk Butler basketball? If someone doesn’t takeover this site we need to find an alternative.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,228
    Insert the “I’m not f*ckin leavin!” Wolf of Wall Street meme and we all party.

mwall787, Tentozen, UDDawg and 3 others like this.
  3. Blue's Brother

Blue's Brother Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $500
    Thanks for all the time and effort, Jared. Does your not operating the site mean it will literally disappear on November 6? Or does it just mean that no one will be maintaining it/watching over it/fixing glitches/etc. but that it will still exist, albeit unmaintained?

4. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $961
    Thank you Jared for all you have done. You have brought a lot of joy/fueled my obsession for Butler basketball by running this forum for 12 years.

I Remember the days of seeing you at Spiece Fieldhouse in Fort Wayne in May.

Thank you for all the time you spent so this 1984 graduate had a place to obsess and talk BU Hoops!!!

ButlerProf, #60, Yogi and 2 others like this.
  5. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,019
    I loved this site too! I check it daily. I thank Jared for his efforts with this site. It has been great. I think I have been on here since college.

On X now, there is a lot of Butler content and fans who also talk recruiting but just not in a message board setting. It won't be the same as this site though!

6. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,097
    RIP. Thanks Jared for donating your time for so many years.

Lukas, count me in for the discord. That’s an excellent idea until somebody decides to start another forum.

#60, Yogi and cornette33 like this.
  7. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $11,112
    Well dang! Jared, I appreciate all you did to keep this place open these last 12 years. Certainly understand the decision, and wish you luck as you move on.

#60, Tentozen and cornette33 like this.
  8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,475
    Thanks for all you've done Jared! I'm definitely interested in trying to start a board/take over this one. This is just such a great place for most of the time LOL

2xDawg, jeff, ButlerProf and 4 others like this.
  9. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,873
    Thanks Jared for giving us all a place to come and be fans of Butler basketball! You've provided a forum that has it all- casual fans, die hards, and everything in between. It is one of the best home made forums I've ever seen. I was only active on this forum for over a year, but I'm glad I had a chance to participate while you were over it.

Good luck on your future endeavors.

10. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,974
    I’m out of town right now (little preseason road trip with my wife) but am working on it in my free time. I’d expect it to be running this weekend, but definitely sometime Monday at the latest. I’ll keep updated here, Twitter, Patreon, etc.

tlp63 and jkcdawgs like this.
  11. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $22,211
    The hosting package expires on November 6th, so as of right now the site will appear offline beginning that day. I'm not sure of the time. I also don't know if they give any sort of grace period or anything when it runs out.

#60 and Blue's Brother like this.
  12. BullDawg2789

BullDawg2789 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $811
    Well done sir, and best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

cornette33 likes this.
  13. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,557
    Thanks so much Jared. I’ve really enjoyed following/using this site for many years. It’s served as a great source of information, discussion, camaraderie, and entertainment for me for more hours than I could imagine. I will miss it for sure but completely understand your decision and wish you the best moving forward. Go Dawgs!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

cornette33 and Tentozen like this.
  14. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,769
    A source of great joy for me. Informative, educational and entertaining all wrapped in intelligent repartee. Will miss it greatly. Deeply indebted Jared. Best of luck moving forward.

cornette33 and Tentozen like this.
  15. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $418
    cornette33 likes this.
  16. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $11,274
    Thanks for everything, Jared. This site has been a home to all of us for as long as I can remember. I’ll definitely miss this community!

Tentozen and cornette33 like this.
  17. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,742
    Jared, "thanks" hardly seems adequate for the hours of enjoyment that you have provided for me and for many, many other Butler fans. I am grateful to you for starting this board and for maintaining it for all of these years. You've provided a place for Bulldog fans to discuss, analyze, celebrate, disagree about, and complain about all things Butler Basketball (and a few miscellaneous and sundry other topics from time to time). Even more, you have created a community of people who may not be able to agree on much but can come together to share the one thing we all have in common: Butler Basketball. We all want the best for it, even when we can't agree on how it's doing or whether it's headed in the right direction.

I've enjoyed meeting and sharing information and ideas with the community and with meeting (although mostly virtually) a great group of people who I never would have otherwise had a chance to talk with and learn from. I will miss the Butler basketball talk a lot, but it is the community that I will miss most. I hope we can find another landing spot to recreate, at least in part, what we have had here.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed over the years, and, most of all, thanks to you, Jared, for making it possible. Best wishes to you, Jared, in whatever comes next for you.

18. SadMatta

SadMatta Well-Known Member VIP Member

How much would it cost to renew for a year (guessing that’s the minimum requirement)? Maybe we could do a Butler Hoops donation drive. I’d be happy to throw some $ at keeping this site going through the upcoming season. Would help allow for everyone/someone to come up with a more thought out permanent future home too.

19. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $22,211
    The hosting plan is $70/month, and that is the bulk of the expenses. It's not really a cost thing for me though. The site is actually profitable with ads enabled (they should all be disabled right now). It's more that I just don't have a desire anymore to really do the work that is needed for it. I haven't be moderating the site properly for a while now or fostering a good environment, which has led to all sorts of complaints about the content I've allowed to exist and the overall quality of conversations have really degraded a lot. And those complaints are 100% correct. Some people even feel it can hurt recruiting when players come here to check out the program and see what the fans are like. I'm not sure I really agree on that point, as I simply don't believe we are that influential (except when talking about the recruits specifically), but it might not be completely crazy.

Basically I just don't feel like I'm the best person to lead this community anymore, so I think it's time I open up the door for someone else to step in.

2xDawg likes this.
  20. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,039
    Great idea! Thank you for posting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.