Future of ButlerHoops.com

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 3, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,039
    The Football Bets forum and Random Thoughts have really degraded the site. JMHO

mwall787 and thevinrod like this.
  2. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $5,666
    At least the betting thread sure as **** beats the other random stuff discussed in the offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Cranjis McBasketball likes this.
  3. Danville Bulldog

Money:
    $3,039
    It's just my opinion. I don't mean to offend anyone. I think the football betting and political stuff belongs elsewhere.

thevinrod likes this.
  4. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $22,211
    The newer version of this forum software has a feature where you can mute entire threads, so you could completely hide those discussions and they wouldn't appear places like recent posts or anywhere.

5. Danville Bulldog

Money:
    $3,039
    Jared, I assume it mutes these type of discussions only when you are logged in. For recruits and outsiders, gambling and political forums are a bad read for those who come to the site for Butler basketball. I'm guilty as much as anyone else, so I'm not condoning my own behavior.

6. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $11,902
    Feels like a death in family as this forum going back to the Yuku days (and he who must not be named ran it) has served as a connection to others who share the same love for the Bulldogs as I do. Like all families we’ve experienced some crazy, incredulous highs and some divisive, sobering lows. I’d be willing to put more money towards keeping this forum together as Sad mentioned. How can we get that done? I like the closed community aspect and while we get off topic, the public forums attract complete knuckleheads that make some of our threads seem like child’s play.

Thank you Jared for providing this “family” for as long as you have!

mwall787, #60, estar20dawg and 2 others like this.
  7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,475
    I'm going to try to get the rebirth of this forum going, I'm working on going through the Xenforo setup now, not an IT guy, but working on it

8. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $22,211
    Hmm, I guess if we did a private forum that was paid only it could maybe work. It could be very cheap. Eliminating ads from the site completely would actually get rid of a good chunk the work I'm currently doing, as a large percentage of the issues people DM me about are related to ad blockers causing issues or weird ad displays on odd browsers/screen resolutions.

Maybe we could get someone to step up and be a moderation/content lead of some sort and help keep things in line? If people have to pay to get access, even if it's extremely cheap, it would also prevent a lot of the trolls and such from showing up.

2xDawg, mwall787, bwesson15 and 8 others like this.
  9. ButlerFan-in-Knoxville

ButlerFan-in-Knoxville Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $862
    If anyone knows the answer. The rivals site already has big east teams there with their own message boards. I believe there needs to be a community publisher or writer to make it happen. There are currently 6 big east teams with a message board there.

10. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,026
    Thanks

11. Westside Dawg

Westside Dawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $505
    Count me in if there’s anyway to make a donation to help keep this (or a new site) going.

12. Westside Dawg

Westside Dawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $505
  13. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $11,902
    So if the site goes dark tomorrow is there a way to stay informed of any new efforts through someone on here? Or anyone with a Twitter account willing to stay in touch with Jared or other to keeps us informed? Or Jared are you willing to share on your Twitter account?

BoilerBulldog likes this.
  14. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $418
    Thanks Jared for everything! I’m gonna miss the group banter.

It sounds like the alternatives for now are this Reddit thread or Lukas’ discord? Or something estar is working on?

I’m genuinely curious if the regulars around here are going to migrate elsewhere…

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  15. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,097
    I’ll be everywhere until one really establishes itself.

16. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,742
    I suspect that many of us will be doing the same. Once an alternative attains critical mass, I suspect most of us will migrate there. It's just too early to tell which alternative that will be.

#60 likes this.
  17. cluelessdawg

cluelessdawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,138
    Thanks for setting this up. Already at 15 members! I just installed the Reddit app and joined. Let's see if it can gain some more steam. Like this post after you've joined the Butler Hoops Reddit page!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    Westside Dawg and butlerguy03 like this.
  18. cluelessdawg

cluelessdawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,138
    I also just joined Lukas' Patreon. $4/month for his content and Discord access is a heck of a deal! Discord-only is only $2/month!

indienapolis likes this.
  19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,475
    I'm working on getting something up and running, if I have to create a new forum name it would be along the line of ButlerHoops 2.0, but the goal will be to get something up and running as soon as possible

20. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $777
    r/butlerhoops has been marked as banned for me.

2xDawg and BUcheer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.